Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quick banjo question!!¬

Options
  • 15-09-2009 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭

Howye,

right ive been playing tenor banjo for a few months, teaching myself but i have come across a problem in that the bridge seems to be in my way a bit and i find myself hitting the strings further away from the bridge so it is more confortable but the sound isnt as nice.

Does anyone konw what i mean here? and if so what am i doing wrong? Is there a particular distance you should try hit strings from the bridge??

Neil

EDIT: I could take a chance of throwing up a video and get slated for my bad playing if it meant i could get this sorted :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

Is it that you cant find a comfortable position to place your right hand while playing? I have heard that a good way is to rest your wrist on the bridge/slightly below it but im sure this depends on the player. Of course adjusting to a new position will take time to get used to so I would say just experiment and see what gives the best sound/feel trade off.

*EDIT*

Found a vid showing good right hand position, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsDbe6FsSX4 hope of answered the right question for you here and good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

ye thats exactly it, i want to find the trade off... what im finding is when i have a nice tone trying to reach the E string the inside of the bottom of my thumb usually hits the edge of the bridge.. i guess ill mess around with it and see what i can doo.

thanks for the vid, ill prob record myself and compare it too him to see whats goin on..

that tantoonie guy is amazing, love watching his videos..

Thanks again!!!

Advertisement