Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paying fees in a UK university

• 15-09-2009 4:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭

Starting a postgrad course in London in a few weeks and trying to work out the best way to pay the fees at the moment. Was hoping people might have some advice on paying a fee in sterling with euro? Is there a way to get the best exchange rate and avoid charges or is it all the same no matter if you pay with credit card/bank draft/bank transfer etc?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

TheNibbler wrote: »
    Starting a postgrad course in London in a few weeks and trying to work out the best way to pay the fees at the moment. Was hoping people might have some advice on paying a fee in sterling with euro? Is there a way to get the best exchange rate and avoid charges or is it all the same no matter if you pay with credit card/bank draft/bank transfer etc?

Thanks

Cash or a Sterling bank draft is best. Credit/debit cards charge an additional fee over and above the exchange rate for using your card abroad (unless you have a card that specifically doesn't charge this...I don't know if they have them in ROI). Similar with bank transfers....there are usually charges. If you have a student account forex and foreign drafts are (usually!) fee free, so prove more economical. Clear as mud eh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭cooper38

Exchange rates on drafts are terrible. Ive done them before, they cost a few euro but you lose on rates

try contacting your bank and other banks and find out the exact rate offered and how much euro it costs in total, then contact currency.ie and see what they offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭TheNibbler

cooper38 wrote: »
    Exchange rates on drafts are terrible. Ive done them before, they cost a few euro but you lose on rates

try contacting your bank and other banks and find out the exact rate offered and how much euro it costs in total, then contact currency.ie and see what they offer.

That's great, contacted them and the rate they are offering should save me nearly 150euro compared to my bank account. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭cooper38

no prob, banks charge too much here, you owe me a pint

Advertisement