Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super 8 films

Options
  • 15-09-2009 4:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I'm a short film maker based in Wicklow, I work with Super 8 film a lot but not exclusively, and I'm just wondering if there are any apt film festivals/galleries in Ireland for submitting this format as most require 16mm guage minimum. If not its the usual HD etc, but I just prefer super 8 for a long list of reasons.

I've just completed an experimental short film called "Gibbo" (teaser below) due to be shown for the first time in the ghetto gloss gallery, melrose avenue in LA next week. Thing is, I'd like to show it in Ireland but there does not seem to be a forum for this format that I am aware of. If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated as its a pretty grey area for me.

Here's the film made previous to "Gibbo" entitled "The Scrum Tilly Lush"

Thanks

Phil

aulpups.blogspot.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

hmm pretty nice.
    I'm just wondering if there are any apt film festivals/galleries in Ireland for submitting this format as most require 16mm guage minimum. If not its the usual HD etc, but I just prefer super 8 for a long list of reasons.

there is a website dedicated to super 8 in ireland: http://www.super8ireland.com/super8-home.html

but it looks like it has gone a while without updates.

On your question, I wouldnt know about festivals, I know larger international festivals would pay to have films developed onto 16mm/35mm film if they are serious about the entry, but thats way up. Galleries it might prove easier if you can get your hands on a projector yourself and deliver it as part of your display (course that means relying on the staff not to break the d*mn thing) On festivals I honestly cant help you sorry, most of my experiance has been with darklight and a few other small ones that have been predominantly digital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Cadeaus

I know this isn't any help in relation to your question, but I'm looking to buy a super 8 and was looking for some advice. Is there a particular model you'd recommend? I've found a Canon 1014 XL-S for 675 but don't know if this is a good price as I haven't found any others in working condition online, so no comparisons.

The other thing is digitizing the footage, how complicated is this process, and expensive? I'll be buying a macbook soon enough, but if you could give me a ballpark cost that would be great. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Wallnut

You'd get a Canon 1014 for cheaper here:
    http://super8ireland.com/listofitems/canon-1014.html
    Really good camera too.

Digitizing can be done by filming your projection on a digi cam. Otherwise check a site like this for digitizing prices: super8.nl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Raging Bob

How did it go Wallnut?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Wallnut

Real good thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    hmm pretty nice.

there is a website dedicated to super 8 in ireland: http://www.super8ireland.com/super8-home.html

but it looks like it has gone a while without updates.

On your question, I wouldnt know about festivals, I know larger international festivals would pay to have films developed onto 16mm/35mm film if they are serious about the entry, but thats way up. Galleries it might prove easier if you can get your hands on a projector yourself and deliver it as part of your display (course that means relying on the staff not to break the d*mn thing) On festivals I honestly cant help you sorry, most of my experiance has been with darklight and a few other small ones that have been predominantly digital.

Digi Beta and HD transfers will give a suitable quality transfer from 8mm. Most film festivals will accept both.

Advertisement