Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

90% alcohol needed

Options
  • 15-09-2009 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to buy vodka that is about 90% alcohol, it's for cooking.

A friend of mine mentioned sometime called 'spirit vodka'

Does anybody know where I can buy it?

thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Nope, but you can get this.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭happy_acid_face

Awful long time since I've been around here... Hello :)

.....That spirit vodka is called "Spirytus". I know the Off Licence I used to work for had it but I couldn't tell you if it's still around as if I remember correctly Eurobeers (R.I.P) were the suppliers. If you give McHughs Off Licence (my old place), Redmonds or the Celtic Whiskey Store a shout they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Beernuts Poteen is an interesting one too. I've never had "commercial "Poteen before but I wouldn't mind giving it a shot. Although its not that I like the stuff or anything...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Welcome back, Mr Face.

If you don't fancy shelling out for the full 90% ABV stuff, there's a 40% and 60% in the range too. Though I've not tried any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

Hi,

I'm looking to buy vodka that is about 90% alcohol, it's for cooking.

A friend of mine mentioned sometime called 'spirit vodka'

Does anybody know where I can buy it?

thanks

When you say it's for cooking, is it for the fuel?

If you cook with it, the alcohol will evapourate, and you'll be left with the same residue you'd be left with if you used 40% abv (maybe more refined, as the distillaiton process will have left very little flavour in the vodka). But maybe there are some other chemical processes going on in the meantime.

Sorry if this sounds smarmy. I am actully interested in what you're cooking etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Brockagh wrote: »
    Sorry if this sounds smarmy. I am actully interested in what you're cooking etc.
    I am interested to and was going to say the same points. Most vodkas are distilled to over 90% and then diluted back down again.

Many recipies can be from countries where the ingredients are readily available and are not critical, if you post up the reason/recipie you might get somebody who will know why it is needed and an appropriate substitute.

Sometimes strong alcohol might be used to steep fruit in to extract flavour.

• Advertisement
Advertisement