Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CB usage in ireland

Options
  • 15-09-2009 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭

there many people using the ordinary 40 channel CB's over here? i put an ordinary 4w yoke in my car the other day but havn't picked up much, hear a lad on it the odd time in Cork but its a very bad signal. would it be worth buying a yoke that has SSB?

also a muppet parked beside me today with a huge, massive ****er of an antenna almost bigger than the starlet it was on but when i looked inside i saw the end of the cable was connected to nothing and the only purpose of the antenna was to make up for smaller things. are there a lot of these lads around?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

The sun cycle will be coming soon...so getting a SSB rig might be fun for DX.

As for CB in general, it has "died" off, but not totally. It depends on where you live as to what you hear on the band.

If someone wants to put an aerial on their car without installing a "yoke" (we call them radios), thats their choice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Irishken555

Just got a c.b radio here in kilcullen in kildare.. do you know of anyone around thats on channel 19??? n Are you on the c.b.??? cant even pick up anyone to see if my new radio is working properly if you know what i mean???

Thanks
    ken.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

Well I haven't used a CB in 25 years, I bought one off ebay about 6 months ago and stuck it in the car today... It's a hygain unit with 80 channel FM/AM/LSB/USB....

Nothing on FM.... found someone on AM broadcasting MASS !!??

I will keep it hooked up for a few weeks and see what I pick up...

Failing that I will install a big antenna at my house and see what skip I can pick up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

Whereabouts are you? I`ll keep an ear out.
    bauderline wrote: »
    Well I haven't used a CB in 25 years, I bought one off ebay about 6 months ago and stuck it in the car today... It's a hygain unit with 80 channel FM/AM/LSB/USB....

Nothing on FM.... found someone on AM broadcasting MASS !!??

I will keep it hooked up for a few weeks and see what I pick up...

Failing that I will install a big antenna at my house and see what skip I can pick up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 bmw316

its very quite at the mo i am in cork and use ch 36 to 40 on lsb for the usa dx. and you can catch me on the 555 international dx channell as well the cycle should be turning soon i have had a lot of holland over the last week abd i bit of france as well on usb on 27 555

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

Sometimes Virginia Cavan ... Sometimes Blanchardstown ....

Picking up a few people on Channel 49 usb in Virginia tonight, quite a strong signal off one of them.

What antenna are you using for the DXing ?

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 bmw316

i use an antron 99 antenna for dx i also have a longwire antenna diopole that i made myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 skodacbradio

unfortunately there is some boy racers who have an antenna but cut off the lead, i dont see the point they can cost €40 a go..there is some life coming back at a recent cruise down here in waterford there was a good number of us on the cb for the nite....it would be great to see a renewed interest in them as they are great with a good few people on them, maybe a movie will come along like what smokey & the bandit did and gave it the big boast into getting people back on the air, if anyone is ever down in waterford give me a shout on it always have it on ch.19.....over and out

Advertisement