Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frog in garden pond

Options
  • 15-09-2009 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭

Just found a frog in the garden! I've never seen one in the pond before, so I'm delighted:).

Does anyone have any suggestions on encouraging the frog to stay/ bring friends?

There used to be goldfish and shubunkin in the pond before the heron got them. I was planning on introducing more in (after constructing a net contraption to cover the pond). Any ideas on how frogs and fish would interact? I'm a little hesitant to mess with the natural balance of the pond if a frog has found a home.

Any ideas, or similar stories, would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

Just dont do anything. If one is there, more will follow .

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Starstream

I've heard that if there's fish in the pond, then you won't get frogs. I'd leave them at it and you should get more frogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Eemia

Starstream wrote: »
    I've heard that if there's fish in the pond, then you won't get frogs. I'd leave them at it and you should get more frogs.

We've a pond with about 30 fish in it and roughly about a month ago there was a rather large frog in it, so i don't think that's quite true. He/she was just sitting on the oxygenating plants and wasn't bothered by the fish jumping through the plants etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

Frogs like damp places - add fish if you want too - a plastic heron should stop another heron coming & emptying your pond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Medievalist

Thanks everyone. There are a few damp patches of shrubbery around the pond that I think may be where the frog is living. I'm a bit concerned about adding fish to the pond now, because of the possibility of introducing parasites/ bacteria. I probably wouldn't be putting the fish in before winter anyway, so I'll see what the frog situation is like in Spring. I think I'd prefer an environment that develops naturally rather than messing with it. Even though the pond is man-made;)

Though I am tempted by a plastic heron!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The plastic heron is an idea as real herons will eat frogs as well as fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

We have frogs but no ponds in the garden. They tend to hibernate here in the long grass where there's stuff left over winter like plant pots and timber n stuff. One made a home in an empty guineapig run and hibernated all winter.
    There sometimes is a little puddle at the end of the garden under the hedge where rainwater gathers so guessing that's where they spawn.

If you make sure there are plenty of hidey places around the pond area and don't cut nearby grass too short leave a bit wild. The wilder the garden the more frogs you'll get.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Read up on Rana Temporaria (European Common Frog)

Don't kill slugs. They eat them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Medievalist

Xiney wrote: »
    Don't kill slugs. They eat them.
    We have veg growing in the garden so we don't use any chemicals or slug-killers. Just lots and lots of egg shells! I would be quite happy if the frog would feast itself on slugs!I'm surprised to get one in a city garden. There are a lot of roads and laneways to cross to get into a well-walled garden.

The patch around the pond is let do it's thing (I tell people it's 'wilderness chic' :cool:). Lot's of places for happy frogs to hide!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭BrigR

An adult frog will have no problems sharing a pond with fish. It's the frogspawn that will be eaten by the fish... Good luck with the frog, wish one would hop my way!

• Advertisement
Advertisement