Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for things to do in Dun Laoghaire

Options
  • 15-09-2009 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'll be spending a couple of days in Dun Laoghaire with the BF in October. Have a mid-week freebie so was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for things to do, see, or places to eat.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

puglover wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'll be spending a couple of days in Dun Laoghaire with the BF in October. Have a mid-week freebie so was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for things to do, see, or places to eat.

Thanks

Things to do: Get the DART out of there :D

Helpfull posts please - Agent Smith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

There's not too much to do in DL in terms of things to do and see, outside of the waterfront.

A walk along the front, either along the piers or along to Sandycove, with maybe a visit to the Joyce museum is nice. Maybe nip up to Killiney hill to get in one of the best views of Dublin bay and the coast down to Bray?

Food wise, it depends on where you are staying and what you fancy eating TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

There's plenty to do in Dún Laoghaire, check out the following link and you'll be kept busy

http://www.dlrtourism.com/accommodation/display.asp?Cat=1

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭puglover

Thanks guys, will def get in Dalkey Castle UCH. DART into the city isn't a bad idea if anyone has any ideas what to do other than shopping?? Might be best posting in the Dublin City thread

Dart is quickest way, as the traffic on the Rock road can be Brutal

Go to the national museum's if you're into that sort of thing, I found them pretty interesting

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Puglover, take the DART to Greystones in County Wicklow, the Garden of Ireland, a 30 minute train journey along the coast and through a mile long tunnel under Bray Head. Some nice restaurants in Greystones too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Where are you staying OP.
    Shame your not here at the weekend you could go to paps :)

As said, was the pier, go up killiney hill, go for dinner in Dalkey, take a trip to Bray

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

there is nothing in dun laoghaire.....the pier is very nice for a stroll but apart from that its a rat infested dump full of junkies.....i live beside it so i know.....if you are out this way i would recommend killiney hill, dalkey village, and maybe bray for a stroll on the promenade.....as mentioned....

there is nothing in dun laoghaire.....the pier is very nice for a stroll but apart from that its a rat infested dump full of junkies.....i live beside it so i know.....if you are out this way i would recommend killiney hill, dalkey village, and maybe bray for a stroll on the promenade.....as mentioned....

I live in it, you need to open your eyes, there's more to do than just gargle in the many Pubs, try looking harder

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I think it depends on what you term as Dun Laoghaire TBH. DL itself doesn't have a lot to do other than what has been mentioned, but if you spread your wings a bit further to incorporate the whole borough, there is quite a bit.

if the OP is staying in the middle of DL with no car then other than what has been mentioned, what else is there?

Don't get me wrong, I like living in the area, but I am really struggling for things to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

I've just moved to the area for work and I have to say I think it's really nice! Despite the noticeable number of junkies and winos (definetely above average - still trying to figure out why?), I haven't seen any trouble at all in the three months I've been here. Within a short travelling distance there is plenty to keep you busy for a few days. My only gripe is the LACK of pubs in Dun Laoghaire itself. Am I missing something? :confused: Maybe I haven't come across 'em yet. :o

You could check out paviliontheatre.ie for midweek shows if that's your thing..

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭markest

1) Hartleys {restaurant}
    2) Purty Kitchen {pub/restaurant with occasional gig}
    3) Victoria Chinese/Karaoke {restaurant} in Monkstown
    4) Walk the pier/boat to Holyhead and back/stroll around Dalkey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

markest wrote: »
    ...boat to Holyhead and back...

Would be a nice idea, but this year the ferry only goes once as day, so might not suit.

Another link to events in Dun Laoghaire

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭diegowhite

1) Wakeboard / wakeskate in Dublin Bay
    2) Check out Killiney Beach nearby
    3) Swim at the forty foot
    $) Lots of art galleries around

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

That line could describe bray in all fairness

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Weirs pub Does Great food During the day. Tis Top quality, none of your usual "pub grub"

Advertisement