Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet insurance

Options
  • 15-09-2009 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭

I'm starting to think it would be a good thing to get. I've just come back from the vet, my poor cat has to get a tooth out:(. I noticed she was eating less but begging for food the hole time and her breath was a bit smellier than a normal cat so I had a quick look in her mouth and her gum was red. She didn't even like me or the vet to have a look in poor thing must be very sore.

So now she has to get the tooth out tomorrow and it's going to cost me over €100, rent is going to be late again:(.

I'm starting to think I should have got it a while back when I was thinking of it.

Edit:
    I'm going to go back to the vet and ask them about it also my mind was so pre-ocupied over tomorrow that I forgot to pay them for todays visit!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭YOURFACE!

I'm so happy I took out pet insurance for our dog Kula. We were up at the vet on Saturday as she had a tummy bug. It cost us €117 I think for all the meds etc. I had noticed her back leg clicking and mentioned it to the vet. So now we have to have her x-rayed and hip scored! This will all be covered by insurance! Its the best €120 approx I have ever spent!

I hope your little guy gets better soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Oh taking out pet insurance is the best thing you can do for your pet :)
    I was at the vets last week and needed to get a fecal sample sent off to be analysed. I only need to pay the excess (75euro) and everything else is taken care of!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

I went to the vet (didn't owe them anything because it was the nurse that had a look at her) they gave me the allianz thing to look through. I rang them up as soon as I got home they are sending me out a form for her, it won't cover tomorrow but if it happens again it will cover it. I also need the vet to fill out something (can't remember what it was) because she only has three legs.

At the moment I feel so sorry for her, she isn't able to bite down, she even started playing with me, she normally bites and doesn't let go but everytime she went to bite me she stopped, poor thing is starving too because she can't eat her food.

I know someone with two dogs, (one a purebreed) I might suggest it to them as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

a def yes for insurance. my doggie getting his hip replaced end of month and all costs will be covered by allianz :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I think pet insurance is more than worth it, the price of operations and medication etc *if* something happens to your pet is just crazy, and they're one of the family so you'll want to help them.
    Check out here and here (other threads with people discussing insurance, might be of some help)

• Advertisement

I showed the leaflet to my father, it didn't go down too well with him, he considers it a waste of money but luckily for that cat it's not him handing over the money. The only thing is I'm not going to be able to convince them to get it for the dogs, since they laughed at me for getting it:(.

I was trying to sell it to them saying you get money if it go's missing, his words were 'but the cat cost you nothing Martin has loads of them out there". I haven't had her long but I love her and I don't want anything bad to happen to her and I really don't want to see her in pain. I've no job so wouldn't be able to afford the vet bills but this way it's only about €10 a month. But I will have to have €120 for them tomorrow, and I've rent to pay and tax the car :( if things keep going like this I'm not going to have anything saved for christmas.

I understand it's hard to get the cash together in times like this. I'm lucky my dad goes half with me, but he knows it's a good idea with our two dogs.

As hard as it is, it's worth it, your dad (no offence) obviously doesn't get your attachment to your cat and sees it as replaceable, some people see pets that way. But in the long run, you're better off putting the cash towards insurance because the vet bills noone could afford.

He sees cats that way, he's not a cat person but I love them. He loves dogs but would be quite old fashioned with his view of pets only since getting Sam has he softened, now he'll do things like let them sleep in his bed (and they get under the covers and put their head on the pillow) and they are treated like children but, I guess he's not as far into thinking about their health and possible vet bills.

But getting the tooth out has been an eye opener for me. Also for my fathers girlfriend, she said she's going to brush the dogs teeth now.

Least it's made them more aware, also if you have 'dentastix' etc, they're not actually very good for dogs teeth. Rawhide treats are better for cleaning teeth, along with brushing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Pet insurance is a good idea but do read what exactly it covers. One of my dogs had to get a tooth out last week. When I read the insurance policy I discovered that dental treatment is covered for accidents only, so I couldn't claim

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wexford202

I have pet insruance for my dog with allianze.

Vet bills up to 4,000.00 and god forbid but if it got knocked doen and damaged someones car I am covered, if it bit someone, attacked a sheep etc I am covered.

I have a staffie and its about 20 euros a month.

It differs depending on the animal or breed.

I have never use dit and hope I never have to but if my dog needed surgery even if it cost four grand I would have to find the moeny from somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Orla K - its great you are getting insurance, it'll be worth it in the end. But for this time - maybe your vet will let you pay in installments? Might help you if you don't want to be getting into trouble with your landlord.

Also - when my cat was sick before with a mouth infection the vet had a high nutrition pate available in a tin that she was able to eat. It was soft so she didn't need to bite it - just lick it up. Your girl might need something similar after her tooth extraction. The poor thing!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 45 mlettis

I have a 3 year old Dalmatian I've always insured him and good job I did he's in vets all the time . The excess alone cost me enough but if I had to pay for medication too I'd be completly broke. Hope your cat gets better soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

ghost_ie wrote: »
    Pet insurance is a good idea but do read what exactly it covers. One of my dogs had to get a tooth out last week. When I read the insurance policy I discovered that dental treatment is covered for accidents only, so I couldn't claim

Really? Which insurer?

I'm with Allianz - they wont pay for cosmetic dentistry or routine cleaning/descaling but they will (and have) paid for treatment for a condition (ie chronic gingivitis, tooth decay).

The only "rule" they have is that the animal has had regular (min once yearly) dental checks and I have followed any and all advice given by the vet.

Basically, if they vet says my dog needs his teeth cleaned and descaled to prevent decay due to plaque build up I must pay and have that done. If the dog subsequently develops tooth decay anyway and needs a tooth removed, as it is rotten and damaged, Allianz will pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Really? Which insurer?

I'm with Allianz - they wont pay for cosmetic dentistry or routine cleaning/descaling but they will (and have) paid for treatment for a condition (ie chronic gingivitis, tooth decay).

The only "rule" they have is that the animal has had regular (min once yearly) dental checks and I have followed any and all advice given by the vet.

Basically, if they vet says my dog needs his teeth cleaned and descaled to prevent decay due to plaque build up I must pay and have that done. If the dog subsequently develops tooth decay anyway and needs a tooth removed, as it is rotten and damaged, Allianz will pay.

I'm with Petinsure but I think I'll switch to Allianz if they cover tooth extractions.

Advertisement