Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem with optical connection maybe?

• 15-09-2009 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

I have just bought a set of 5.1 surround speakers and also a sound card with an optical output.

My question is does the optical cable carry all the sound?I have it all hooked up but i only seem to be getting sound from left/right speakers and woofer

The soundcard i bought was only 35euro in maplin and the software is really crappy,the previous system sound software realtec was quiet good but i had to disable that for the new card

All the speakers do work when i use the pre-set hall surround for example but when i play the hd files i only get left/right woofer

The software that comes with the soundcard only lets me change the volume on the left and right speakers all the others are inactive

Is there any software that i could get to solve this?

I have connected the speakers to the ps3 with the optical cable and the sound is fantastic,DTS seems to be the way to go.

Any help would much appreciated

PS The soundsystem that i bought is a philips high definition surround sound 5.1 its 1000watts and i got it for only 160euro in harvey norman,amazing value

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Hey Mr Hobbs, love that name :)

I can only answer part of this but yes optical will carry all the sound you need.

I suspect your's is a s/w or setup issue or even the source file.

Hope someone else sorts you out.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

You need to access the software for the soundcard and set it to output SPDiF - it sounds like it's putting out stereo at the moment. The cable is not at fault.

Ritz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

The Ritz wrote: »
    You need to access the software for the soundcard and set it to output SPDiF - it sounds like it's putting out stereo at the moment. The cable is not at fault.

Ritz.

I will give it a go,thanks

Advertisement