Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound Equipment

Options
  • 15-09-2009 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3 n.sheerin1

Hi,

I'm editing a video project but need to record some voice-over. I'm wondering does anyone know a cheap recording device which doesn't need to go into camera? One that won't crackle or make a hiss or hum. Something cheap but of decent sound quality. And if so where would I buy the device? The less noise coming off the equipment the better.

Thank You.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

You can find cheap mics with mini jacks if you wanted to record to a laptop since i assume you have no mixing desk equipment etc, but you will find there is noise, but that can be overcome with a noisegate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rachelgreen

zero19 gives the point!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

USB mics can be picked up online and will give midrange quality for VOs at a very good price. I think it was a Logitec model that the blog I read suggested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 reospeed

Hi, You can not control the atoms in the environment you're recording in.

The mic will pick up noise in the room know as 'ROOM' or Atmos.

Try get your hands on a directional mic. Get into a room that is as dead as possible. Close all the doors and currents, if possible put soft marital on flat suffices. If there is large glass pains in the room cover them.

But you will get hum, hiss, pops, clicks and even some sibadence.

My advice is to pay someone 50euro to record it for you. Not been smart I am a sound editor and can tell you, you will be pulling your hair out if you DIY this.

Hope this is of help....:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 tiir

Try out the behringer podcaster pack. It has a usb 2 channel mixing console plus all the accessories including a mic. It has an xlr input so you can upgrade or borrow a better mic and still use it. Price around 150 euro on thomann.de:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Please don't buy behringer stuff, they aren't well priced for what they are

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

reospeed wrote: »
    Hi, You can not control the atoms in the environment you're recording in.

The mic will pick up noise in the room know as 'ROOM' or Atmos.

Try get your hands on a directional mic. Get into a room that is as dead as possible. Close all the doors and currents, if possible put soft marital on flat suffices. If there is large glass pains in the room cover them.

But you will get hum, hiss, pops, clicks and even some sibadence.

My advice is to pay someone 50euro to record it for you. Not been smart I am a sound editor and can tell you, you will be pulling your hair out if you DIY this.

Hope this is of help....:(

What's that????????

Advertisement