Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinchilla Babies

Options
  • 15-09-2009 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

So story goes, bought 2 female Chins, this day two months ago and a female who i thought was pregnant after i bought her turned out to be. She was roughly half way through when i bought her as they carry for 111/112 days and on Friday popped out 3 babies. One was awful small and ended up hand feeding her on Sunday as mother rejected her to look after the other bigger two (who were twice the size) and sadly she passed away on Sunday night. The other 2 seem to be feeding well and are getting bigger weighing in at 25grams and 30grams, alert and running around. I'm not an experienced Chin owner as these are my first two adult females. Is there anything i do now with the mother and babies or just go on like normal - feeding, cleaning out, handeling routines? Any help appreciated please..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

Keep doing what you are doing - avoid dust baths for mum for a couple of weeks as she can get sand inside her bits as they take a few days to reduce in size after a birth.

Handle the babies as much as mum will let you & you will have happy tame kids :D

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Eemia

FAYESY wrote: »
    Keep doing what you are doing - avoid dust baths for mum for a couple of weeks as she can get sand inside her bits as they take a few days to reduce in size after a birth.

Handle the babies as much as mum will let you & you will have happy tame kids :D

She had the babies in the dust bath :rolleyes: As i said i wasn't really sure she was pregnant but didn't like being handled so left her to it while handleing the other female. Can handle the babies no problem at all she sometimes "coughs" and lunges but only normal. Thanks for the reply!

Will get pics up soon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Eemia

Put up pics on post a pic of your pet :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

Off to have a look!

Advertisement