Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backroad from Swords to Kildare

Options
  • 15-09-2009 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭

Does anyone know of any back roads or alternative route i can take to travel from Swords to Kildare town instead of travelling along the M50 / M1? As the M50 / M1 is absoutely choc a block in the morning

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

check the AA website to get a route planner ...traffic might not be as heavy going home - could have been backed up due to an accident or broken down car somewhere along the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

http://maps.google.com/ is magic too. Allows you to drag the route to change it. I used to work out in citywest and travelled by car from Skerries. Going back roads had me knackered getting into work. You have to really concentrate hard all the time (v's just keeping your wits about you on the motorway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

I do almost the same journey as Khannie everyday and I would stick to the motorway if i was you. The journey is never longer than 45mins these days and the roundabout way would take easily an hour plus the added bonus of a chance to get wiped out on the narrow roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

SeaSide wrote: »
    I do almost the same journey as Khannie everyday

Oh I don't do it any more. :) That journey was the main reason I left my last job. Until the train bridge collapsed I was in heaven with my slightly longer but completely chilled commute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Khannie wrote: »
    Until the train bridge collapsed

Which is probably why the OP is not happy. Bloody railroad refugees.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Did the M50 this morning @ 07.30 and flew across it .:D Stick to the main roads .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Does anyone know of any back roads or alternative route i can take to travel from Swords to Kildare town instead of travelling along the M50 / M1? As the M50 / M1 is absoutely choc a block in the morning

A few options. If you are coming from the Brackenstown area drive right to the very end of the Manor and take the left at the roundabout and right (the left goes nowhere anyway). At Knocksedan X which is the first crossroads you meet turn left and follow the windy road to the roundabout at the back of the airport. You'll eventually meet another roundabout. The right turn takes you to the M2 crossroads (which is busy but fortunately nowadays has traffic lights - used to be lethal). Go straight on and it will take you across the Ward into the back of Blanchardstown. You can follow on from here the back road towards Lucan.

In all honesty, during rush hour it may well be quieter than getting the M50 - it certainly used to be, 10 years ago, anyway. There are probably a few quicker ways of getting from Blanch to Lucan and on to Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Just go to the Ballymun junction, or go via Kilshane cross and onto the N2 to get on to the M50, then main roads, You'll be going against the flow from Redcow out, and there's 3 or 4 lanes all the way on the M50 now. The M1-M50 junction is supposed to be freeflow from the end of October too.

Advertisement