Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed! Cats attacking my pond fish!

Options
  • 15-09-2009 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭

Hi All, looking for a bit of advice please.

I recently added a small (preformed) pond to my garden and added 3 goldfish a number of weeks ago. the fish are doing really well and it's a beautiful addition to my small garden. However the pond is attracting every cat in the estate and I'm worried it's only a matter of time before they get at the fish. the pond is surrounded by small rocks and I noticed 3 of them in the pond yesterday, I reckon the cats knocked them in whilst trying to get at the fish. Also, I went out the other day and the pond was surrounded by 3 big cats all encircled in 'pounce' mode. What should I do? I already bought cat repellant (€14!) but it's useless.
    An added issue is that the garden is entirely covered in bark (and decking) and the cats are using the newly laid bark as a litter tray - their poo is everywhere under mounds of bark (they seem to be mounding up the bark to cover the poo - very poilte of them!)

I spent a lot of money doing up the garden recently but now the cats are ruining it.:( Has anyone any suggestions??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

why not try a low voltage electricuted fence (that really looks spelled wrong) ...anyway ... if positioned properly will allow the cats to not want to get near the pond. (my dad has a similar setup to prevent cants getting into his pigeon loft - some of his racing pigeons are worth over €1K and if a cat can get in thats a lot of money gone without any recourse !!)

Ps. Not a cat lover !!! (is it obvious) .... I blame my dad :P

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

You can get sonic deterrents for cats, have not used them myself, but a friend who has, said her one worked.

I have found from experience that cats seem to dislike the scent of lemon if that is of any use. Maybe you could put down plants with a similar scent?

What I have also used a lot out my back is a super soaker water gun. Basically I was having too many cats coming in to kill birds, so I started blasting them with water, and after about a month they started to stop coming to the garden.

There is also a product called prick strips that can be put on walls to discourage cats, basically it is a strip with plastic little spikes. It is not sharp enough to harm the cats but is uncomfortable enough for them to avoid it once they have walked on it a time of two. It may be possible to use it around your pond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

My dad's friend has Koi fish, but he lives near the sea (and has a million cats) so he put fine wire/thread (probably fishing line) in criss cross on the top of the pond to stop the herons getting in, and has motion detection sensors that set off the sprinkers at the pond for when the cats get close. Might be an idea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I heard that cats don't like the smell of vinegar. I tried it in our flowerbeds and it seemed to work ok.

Electric fence wire on the ground could also be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Beware of the electric fence option - check council regs before putting one up. The sort of electric fence you'd use for livestock can kill a small animal, and whether or not that's the effect you're going for you may discover it's actually illegal to put one up.

By contrast, there IS a low-voltage static electricity based fence capping system that might work for you - if it's available in Ireland. It gives the cats a shock and unpleasant sensation, but won't seriously injure or kill them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Kaldorn

I have the exact same problem. i use the super soaker but i am not around all the time and its only a matter of time before one bites the bullet..they are very fast but i am sure with time the cats will get one.do those utrasonic cat sterents work? what about plastic bottles with water in them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Trap the cats. Keep them caged for a week or two and if their owners haven't claimed them hand them to the local pound. If the owners claim them require they control their pets.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

PCPhoto wrote: »
    normally I would suggest a pellet gun - but that cant be suggested as it boarders on cruelty to vermin animals.

That there is a blatant attempt to get around the rules.

Just because you added in "cant be suggested because it borders on cruelty" doesnt mean you havent broken the rules..

Would you go into the Software or Broadband forum and say something like

"Id normally suggest you download a copy from Thepiratebay but I cant suggest it because its against the rules"??

A reply like that would last 30 seconds.

So Im editing your post and issuing an infraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

I found 5 more rocks in the pond today :( it's only a matter of time before the cats get my fishies....

I was reading up online and all the usual stuff is there: motion sensors; sprinklers; electric fence but then I came across a product called Lions Roar. Basically its lion dung pellets (dried and sterilised!) and you sprinke them around the area you want cat free. Cats won't come near because they believe it to be another (bigger and more stronger) feline's territory. Pretty cool. BBC's Watchdog programme did a test a few years back on pest repellents and Lions Roar came out on top. Its about £20 so I'm going to try the cheaper option of citronella oil first, I might try vinegar also as a previous poster said. In that regard how much vinegar would be sufficient? (the garden is tiny so don't want it stinking of the local chipper :p)

Advertisement