Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop shutting itself off then blue screen error

• 15-09-2009 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

I think my laptop has died :(

The last week or so my laptop seemed to be getting very hot and the fan stayed on 90% of the time at high power it sounded like.

it shut down on me twice and today it shut down again, but it wont open up windows anymore a blue screen error comes up all the time now saying

a problen has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

if this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. if this screen appears again, follow these steps:

disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer.

Technical information:
    *** stop: 0x00000024 (0x00190203,0x8552c380,0xc0000102,0x00000000)

it wont let me do anything to follow those steps.

PLEASE can anyone help

is my saved stuff salvagable?? i wouldnt be too upset if i had to get a new laptop if my saved stuff can be recovered as i do not have it all fully backed up.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

how old is the laptop you have? has it been sitting on heat absorbant material such as a duvet? or a dusty surface. it may be dust related inside the laptop, that would be best case scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭mac500

Hi, its a dell inspiron about 2 1/2 years old, ya it does spend a good bit of time sitting on a duvet, as for dust ive never attemped to clean the inside of it (is that supposed to be done?)

I gave it to a computer repair technition this evening so hopefully he will sort it.

I'll keep ye posted.
    if i need a new laptop, im thinking of getting this one http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/asp/versions.asp?rewrite=Sony_VAIO_VGN-NW11S-S_Laptop_VGNNW11SS&pagetype=version&page=

STOP 0x24 is an NTFS file system error. It could be a corrupt file system or failing hard disk.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭mac500

Karsini
    is it still possible to recover files with that problem?

Yes, you need to run CHKDSK on the C: drive. If you have a Windows XP or Vista CD (a proper one, not a restore CD) you can run the Recovery Console from this, the command is "chkdsk /r c:" Alternatively you could take out the hard disk and install it in a working machine to do this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭cardol

I'm trying to upload a 5 minute video onto YouTube from my harddrive, and 3 times today my PC has shut down and restarted itself. I then get a "Serious Blue Sreen Error" message and tips on what to do to fix it:
    1) Do a virus scan
    2)Install Windows updates
    3)Run CHKDSK
    I've done all three, but it still keeps happening.

I've decided to leave YouTube alone for a while, but I haven't had this problem uploading videos before.:rolleyes:

Can anyone help please? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

I'd pull the disk and connect it to another PC quickly and get my data off there.

I'd pull the disk and connect it to another PC quickly and get my data off there.

Oh well :rolleyes: guess I've got a trip to the computer repair shop tomorrow :rolleyes:

Do it yourself and save the cash. There are cables that you can get which will connect a disk through USB. You probably know best where your data is.

Yes, you're right. But I will still need to have someone look at my PC because this problem will still be there, won't it?:)

• Advertisement

Probably. I'm thinking it's a disk problem. I'd reload Windows and see if that cures it before considering a replacement disk.

OK, I'll do that first :) thanks for your help

Advertisement