Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Error while XP starting up and opening applications

• 15-09-2009 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

Out of the blue after starting up today, I am suddenly getting lots of errors like the following when my system starts up or when I try run any application or even load a new tab in Google Chrome. The error seems to appear multiple times for each application I open and all the applications which load automatically on startup. The only way the error changes for each application is the program's "exe" file in the "title" of the error.

error.JPG

I don't think I have made any changes to any of my settings so not sure what the problem could be.

Any help? :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Not seen it personally but a quick google leans towards malware of some sort or another? What antivirus application do you use? Can you boot into safe mode (tap F8 when you turn your computer on)? and do you still get the errors in safe mode?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

its a virus or spyware related, it could also be a rootkit. There numerous problems and also numerous solutions.

get some virus scans and malware programs scanning your pc as soon as you can. if you dont have any anti-virus i suggest you download Avast or AVG ASAP, and Malwarebyte's program, as well as Spybots Search and Destroy.

i've just been reading up on that problem you have, it seems to be an extensive problem that can occur, but its nothing major.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Make sure you run them in safe mode. Better chance of getting any infected files. Run it a few times as well with a reboot in between.

I'd second Malwarebytes but also Superantispyware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Peter B wrote: »
    Out of the blue after starting up today, I am suddenly getting lots of errors like the following when my system starts up or when I try run any application or even load a new tab in Google Chrome. The error seems to appear multiple times for each application I open and all the applications which load automatically on startup. The only way the error changes for each application is the program's "exe" file in the "title" of the error.

error.JPG

I don't think I have made any changes to any of my settings so not sure what the problem could be.

Any help? :(
    Ok, well bcmwltry.exe is a Broadcom Corporation Wireless Network Tray Applet. It can be removed easily and is not an essential application (because Windows can control the wireless).

Start Menu > Run > Type "msconfig" and press OK > Startup > Untick "bcmwltry.exe" > Apply > Close > Restart.

Secondly, the Google error is to do with Google Desktop which can easily be uninstalled via Add-Remove Programs. You might as well because the program isn't all that useful (IMO anyway).

http://www.justtext.com/processes-tasks/goec62~1-dll.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Peter B

I have AVG and running a virus scan at the moment. I don't think that is it as I did run a scan yesterday. I was wondering could it be an automatic Google update that has somehow had a bug?

It is so annoying. Every time I start up or try run a program I get a barrage of alert warnings!

• Advertisement
Advertisement