Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Morning Sickness

• 15-09-2009 6:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭

The missus is going through really bad morning sickness at the moment.

Is there anything that can help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭magconn

i know its a vicious circle but if she gets hungry then the nausea gets worse so if possible, little bits of food and often. ginger nut bikkies worked for me and fizzy ginger ale, in the little glass bottles, not plastic (its a fizz thing !). always have bikkies in handbag just incase
    best of luck..it will be worth it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭janbaby

I know its not very comforting but there is very little u can do for morning sickness, sorry! I had sickness everyday for 16 weeks...all day sickness. Im now 24 and still have an evening when I will be vomiting but its all part of pregnancy. For me I just came to terms with the vomiting and ate what ever I felt like.

I tried everything from ginger biscuits and ginger ale, sour lemon sweets, motion sickness bands, eating small meals every few hours but nothing worked.

The only comforting thing to take from it is that it is aparently a good sign.It means the hormone levels are high which is really good. Its hard and challenging but I keep telling myself that it will be worth it. Just make sure she drinks loads of water on the days she is not sick so that she doesnt get dehydrated, hold her hair back and keep her comfy. Having my partner there for hugs and massages helped me thro the really bad days.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭shaca

I used a ginger tinture(think thats how u spell it) Just used a few drops in water and drank it down. Like the other poster I was sick from morning till night but this worked really well. I was also told to try the crystalised ginger but personally I did not like the taste of it. I got it in a health food shop. Good luck with the pregnancy and hopfully the sickness will pass soon.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I had it bad for 9 months,all I can say is encourage her to eat anyhting she feels she can even if it is chips or jelly and not to force herself ot eat other stuff.
    Dry cream crackers were ok and doctor advised to add ginger ot cooking as it might help.
    Ginger ale may help too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

crackers or toast or even glass of milk before she gets up in the morning and if she can manage a little snack like crackers in the middle of night if she wakes at all, mornin sickness is a lot about not lettin your tummy get too empty and i dont know aboout other girls but my tummy is way too empty even after 2 hours so i try eat somethin small every 90minutes really hard!!

also i find this VERY important. the nights i don't get enough sleep im absolutely in bits the followin day but if i get an early night i can just about survive, sickness is less - does anyone else find this???

hope you'r gettin some helpful ideas for your wife, how far on is she?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

Make sure she eats something small often. Doesn't really matter what it is, just try to catch a moment when the sickness isn't too bad.

I found I was getting into a bit of a vicious circle of sickness: I feel pretty sick, so have no appetite, which leaves my stomach empty and that makes me sicker, which makes my appetite even worse...and so on

My OH really helped by reminding me to eat smth small and bringing me stuff :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Alib2009

Have crackers/ginger biscuits on bedside locker. nibble a little and then get up, seemed to ease it for me - however there was the delightful pulling car to side of road for joyous remeeting of same -lol. It is all part of it and before you know it hopefully will be a distant memory.

The best of luck to you both with your impending arrival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wexford202

Hi Op I was sick up to last week. I am now 2 weeks.

I was a four or five times a day to the loo up to then.

I have only been sick twice this week which to me is just such a relief!

I found that ginger made me sick as the biscuits were so dry.

I fund that it was the heavier things n the stomach that made me feel less like throwing up. For example Chinese takeaway noodles, springrolls, breakfact crackers with chicken and ham paste!

Stange but true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Many thanks to all for that.

Tried ginger, bought about 6 types of biscuit, they help but not much.

Also tried ginger root itself, but it's very very strong, almost as hot as a green pepper, and I can't imagine anything I'd cook using it as an ingredient.

Milk seems to be helping now as it's reducing the acidity in her stomach. She was drinking a lot of fruit juices but they weren't helping, obviously because of their acidity.

The accupressure bands (two of!) aren't helping much either.

We also swapped from the folic acid supplements to folic acid plus vitamin supplements for the pregnant as she's feeling quite run down too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

Also tried ginger root itself, but it's very very strong, almost as hot as a green pepper, and I can't imagine anything I'd cook using it as an ingredient.

You do not need to use much of ginger root. Maybe a 1 cm chunk for entire dish. Do you like stir fry? It goes great there.
    Look up some recipes containing fresh ginger - it is really good for you and tasty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭Baraboo

Shred the ginger root with a grater. Squeeze the pulp and keep the juice, Discard the pulp. Add one or two drops of juice to hot water for a drink, or add a few drops to whatever food you are cooking.

Mint tea can also help for an upset stomach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭janbaby

You should try the Clonfolic tables <snip>. My doc recommended the Clonfolic as a seperate tablet. For the first 15 weeks I was so tired and run down and at about 3pm in work. <more snipping>

Milk is amazing when your pregnant! It helps with heartburn and settles your tummy. If she is still sick tell her to stay away from juice esp in the morning. Have milky tea instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

You should get medical advice before taking any supplements during pregnancy. Pregnant women have different nutritional needs.

specifically, the two supplements you recommended are both UNSUITABLE for pregnant women.

Khannie wrote: »
    You should get medical advice before taking any supplements during pregnancy. Pregnant women have different nutritional needs.

specifically, the two supplements you recommended are both UNSUITABLE for pregnant women.
    Which ones? We consulted the pharmacist and got the folic acid tabs with extra vitamins - there's even a picture of a pregnant woman on the front of the box! - she had been taking just the folic acids ones on their own before and was getting a little run down.

Opps - saw you addressed that to janbaby, not me - yes, I couldn't even let her use my own Boots Complete A-Z multivits.

General multivits are a no-no if you're preggers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

There are supplements available specifically for pregnancy, you should always speak to your midwife/GP about nutritional supplementation during pregnancy. Likewise, any drugs that you might take whilst not pregnant should be treated with caution - always consult your GP/midwife/obstetrician.

My own GP recommended Pregnacare, but your own GP may have a different recommendation.

Thanks for all the advice.

We ended up in A&E Tuesday night as she had such bad abdominal pains that night. I couldn't stand to see her in pain and I called an ambulance.

She was dismissed the next day after a couple of internal scans - baby growing where he/she/it should be and all looked normal.

The hospital rang last night to inform us that they found traces of e-coli bacteria in her urine sample.

Quite possibly she got food poisoning from an undercooked burger from a fairly posh cafe/bar on Georges St as the symptoms became manifest the next day (should have gone to Mickey D's in hindsight).

Anyways, the roller-coaster ride has well and truly started. The week laid us low and we've both got head-colds (actually, mine is a uniquely virulent mutation of man 'flu, symptoms include watching TV a lot and being unable to do anything particularly useful around the house).

Once again many thanks for all the great advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Alib2009

oh Dublin writer i can only imagine the worry! well now mr man flu you may have earned slight sympathy. Look after each other.

Advertisement