Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opinions between 2 compacts (IXUS or Lumix)

• 15-09-2009 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭

Sorry in advance - ye must be sick of these types of threads, but I just have to ask...

I'm trying to make my mind up between 2 compacts - the Canon Digital IXUS 200 and the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ7.

My basic criteria is for 5X optical zoom (even though the Lumix seems to have 12X) and at least 10 megapixel. The wide angel lens is a nice to have. Both also seem to have HD video recording which seems like a nice bonus too.

I originally automatically just went for the IXUS as I had one before so would have the spare battery etc and they're a decent camera. But I've heard that the Lumix is a good camera too and that the LECIA lens is meant to be pretty sweet. On the other hand the touch screen on the IXUS, as cool and all as it may be might just be a little gimmicky and over inflate the price.

For those of you in the know which would you go for? I'm leaning towards the IXUS cos I know them, but something tells me the Lumix is probably better!

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions ye might be kind enough to share.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

I have a canon and panasonic P&S camera, of the two cameras you have here I would choose the Panasonic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,406 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I always thought that the small canons were particularly good (at least the older models), did have a panasonic bridge camera... wasn't as happy with the image quality. Would probably go for the tz-7 because of the zoom

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

IXUS for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭rameire

Ixus for me...but I'm a "little" biased....I owe 4 or 5 Canon cameras!!! Lost count...:D
    Would never get anything else!

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

I know I should probably go for the Lumix - savage 12X optical zoom that can also be used during video recording. But I am also biased and reckon I might go for the Ixus. It has the option of manual shooting modes (which honestly I may never use for P&S) and also the mode wheel on the Lumix is meant to be a pain in the hole.

For no other reason other than brand familiarity I'm thinking of just going with the Ixus...

Going to sleep on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭Technique

I've had previous incarnations of both of these cameras.

My Lumix TZ3 has a great zoom and takes a decent close up wide-ange shot. But I somehow feel that image quality was always better with the ixus. Also the ixus was more compact. I never noticed it in my pocket, whereas you definitely know that you've got the Lumix in your pocket.

Advertisement