Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Non-Europeans in Ennis

• 15-09-2009 7:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭

Ok, I know you're reading that subject and expecting a hate filled racist rant, but this is not and mods please don't lock the thread.

Want to preface saying I have *never* seen or even heard of any trouble with non-european migrants in Ennis but... I'm just shocked by the amount of them! And how quickly they seem to be growing, or is it just me. Drive down the Mill road or hang around the market during business hours and and I say it's 1 in 5 now at least.

But most importantly, hang around the Boys national or Holy Family at lunch hour or closing time and count the amount of children being collected of non-european descent... it seems a lot. Now I'll say again I've never heard of them cause trouble but I just feel like we're destined to repeat the mistakes of every other European nation when it comes to integrating these migrants properly and preventing the problems that are popping up in Sweden and Holland.

Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Attended the holy family about 4 years ago and there was 2 non-nationals in my class (both nigerian). My little sister is in 5th class at the moment and 11 (out of 27) are non-nationals in her class (asked her to count just there :P).

Dont have a problem with them but just thought id get it out there since you mentioned primary schools..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

It's a delicate situation to discuss which means people don't generally discuss it at all which is a bad thing. Big changes will need to be made to ensure that people integrate properly and everybody gets along harmoniously.

Perhaps now that our economic situation is so dire we won't have many new emigrants entering the country, allowing the ones that are already here a greater opportunity to become part of the Irish culture rather than everybody retreating into their own ethnic groups and emphasizing their differences.

Personally I think we're doing a decent job. There is certainly racism, but on a one to one level I think the Irish are a pretty sociable bunch disinclined to push people away. We might be ignorant some of the time, but we won't ignore you which is much worse in my view. Add in the fact that a lot of the migrants are Nigerian Christians with English as a first language and it narrows the cultural differences a great deal. The other main demographic seem to be Chinese and I'm reliably informed by Fr. Ted that they're in fact a great bunch of lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Teadrinker

Attended the holy family about 4 years ago and there was 2 non-nationals in my class (both nigerian). My little sister is in 5th class at the moment and 11 (out of 27) are non-nationals in her class (asked her to count just there :P).

Dont have a problem with them but just thought id get it out there since you mentioned primary schools..

Oh, but the poster has already been hanging around outside your little sister's school and has counted her non-european classmates already.

I would have thought that going to the freely available census figures for statistics would be the way to go with this rather than hanging around outside national schools at lunchtime and closing time counting kids of any race, colour or creed for any purpose whatsoever.

F*cking americans..coming over here..taking our school places..

(Or are you talking about black people?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

thats not true that they dont cause trouble i heard that there was an assault in ennis at the weekend and the garda are looking for a white man and a local ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement