Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20 rep squats.

Options
  • 15-09-2009 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Right, I post on a few other forums, but decided I'd start a log here on Boards.
    Firstly, my stats.

I turned 17 a few months ago, and hover around the 75-78kg mark weight-wise.I'm 5 '10. Bodyfat's in and around 13-15 %. Was playing football up until last September, which is when I started training properly.

My current lifts are: Squat : 145kg
    Deadlift: 150kg (weak compared to the squat, I know)
    Bench: 85kg ( I hate it, much prefer SP )
    Shoulder Press:67.5kg.
    Clean: 80kg.
    One arm row: 32.5kg.

I have actually completed these lifts, with good form, they're not just based on a one rep max calculator.

Have been training mainly to increase strength during the summer, I'm fairly pleased with how its gone , but there's alot more room for impovement :)

Anyway, onto the log.I'm gonna be running the 20 rep squats program for the foreseeable future. Hoping to get up to around 90kg BW. I have done the program before, but I was playing football at the time, yet I still managed to gain over a stone in about 3 months, so hopefully the results will be somewhat similiar this time. I managed to get up to 108kg for 20, bearing in mind I was only just turned 16 and weighing about 70 kg :)

So, this is what the program will look like:

20 rep squats, followed by pullovers.
    15 rep deadlifts, again followed by pullovers.
    Then either bench and rows, or shoulder press and chins. 4-5 sets of 6-8.
    Some core work at the end if I'm still standing :)

This program has worked for me in the past, so hopefully it'll do the trick again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Mr.Maker

15th September. I won't be including my warm up sets.

Squats: 100kg x 20
    Pullovers : 7.5 kg x 10

Deadlifts : 105kg x 15
    Pullovers : 7.5kg x 10

Shoulder Press: 40kg x 6, x6, x6 ,x6 ,x8.

Chins : Bodyweight x6, x6 , x6 ,x6 ,8.

Thoughts : Squats were surprisingly easy. I'm starting the program relatively light so I get a good chance at keeping the progression going. Will increase by 2.5kg next session.

Deadlifts : Haven't deadlifted in over a month, I got hooked on cleans lol.Extremely easy, but I'm not gonna jump ahead of myself and up the weight too much. Will increase by 5kg.

Shoulder press was a tad too light, but I'm not used to going over 3's on them.Will go up 2.5kg.

Chins were very easy, had been doing them with 15kg. Will add a couple kg's on next time.

All in all, happy with the session, will train again on Friday or Saturday, depending on how I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

jesus some great numbers there dude. especially for your bodyweight. I was doing a similar thing during the summer and put on just under 7kg, you can see my log here. Good luck! I'll keep an eye.

Beau wrote: »
    jesus some great numbers there dude. especially for your bodyweight. I was doing a similar thing during the summer and put on just under 7kg, you can see my log here. Good luck! I'll keep an eye.

Cheers man, I'll check it out now:D

Mr.Maker wrote: »
    Right, I post on a few other forums, but decided I'd start a log here on Boards.
    Firstly, my stats.

I turned 17 a few months ago, and hover around the 75-78kg mark weight-wise.I'm 5 '10. Bodyfat's in and around 13-15 %. Was playing football up until last September, which is when I started training properly.

My current lifts are: Squat : 145kg
    Deadlift: 150kg (weak compared to the squat, I know)
    Bench: 85kg ( I hate it, much prefer SP )
    Shoulder Press:67.5kg.
    Clean: 80kg.
    One arm row: 32.5kg.

I have actually completed these lifts, with good form, they're not just based on a one rep max calculator.

Have been training mainly to increase strength during the summer, I'm fairly pleased with how its gone , but there's alot more room for impovement :)

Anyway, onto the log.I'm gonna be running the 20 rep squats program for the foreseeable future. Hoping to get up to around 90kg BW. I have done the program before, but I was playing football at the time, yet I still managed to gain over a stone in about 3 months, so hopefully the results will be somewhat similiar this time. I managed to get up to 108kg for 20, bearing in mind I was only just turned 16 and weighing about 70 kg :)

So, this is what the program will look like:

20 rep squats, followed by pullovers.
    15 rep deadlifts, again followed by pullovers.
    Then either bench and rows, or shoulder press and chins. 4-5 sets of 6-8.
    Some core work at the end if I'm still standing :)

This program has worked for me in the past, so hopefully it'll do the trick again.

Wow. It's been a while since I wrote that.
    Might make another go at logging on here. I keep my own journal, but I lurk often enough so may aswell.

Anywho, my numbers have gone up quite a bit since the first post. I'm 3 months away from turning 19.

Just weighed myself after a full day of eating, hit the scales at 83kg. My body comp has changed enormously over the last year, but I have no idea of my BF %. I don't have a gut, and can see some abs in the morning, so I'm not gonna worry about it too much. Once my lifts are going up I'm happy.

Speaking of my lifts:
    Squat : 181kg @83kg
    deadlift: 174kg@83kg
    Bench : 90kg@83kg - Extremely pathetic. Hasn't budged in a while, but too be far, I train it far less often than I should.
    Push press : 85kg@81kg
    Power cleans : 90kg @83kg
    full clean : 100kg @ 80kg

All lifts done with just a belt. All singles. Will get vids up of any max attempts I make in the future.

About to start a week of exams in college, so there won't be much activity for now, but once they finish I'll be hitting the squat rack with a vengeance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

squat heavier than your deadlift? you might wanna squat lower...

• Advertisement

Parsley wrote: »
    squat heavier than your deadlift? you might wanna squat lower...

I squat below parallel. My lower body is way out of proportion to my upper, so I've always been good a squatting. The fact I didn't deadlift for the first year of training didn't help much. It's been increasing slowly but surely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Mr.Maker wrote: »
    I squat below parallel. My lower body is way out of proportion to my upper, so I've always been good a squatting. The fact I didn't deadlift for the first year of training didn't help much. It's been increasing slowly but surely.

ah fair enough then!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,322 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I would of assumed that you form for the squat was off too, pretty strange,
    Your bench isn't bad, it's just way behind your other lifts

Advertisement