Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for website needed please.

• 15-09-2009 8:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭

Hi,

Our Transition Year class are participating in the 'Student Enterprise' competition this year and my group are considering making a website with reviews on games, movies, music etc. Basically Im looking for advice on :
    • What are the steps involved in making a proffesional looking website.
    • What programmes are the best and most reasonably priced programmes to use.
    • What the whole process would roughly cost.
    Any advice is much appreciated.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭duffman85

The easiest way is probably to use:
    wordpress.com.You sign up for free and they give you wordpress blog all set up and ready to go.
    or the likes of http://webs.com

OR if you're interested in the web development side of things you could
    Learn HTML and CSS http://www.w3schools.com

and create the graphics with Photoshop/similar or GIMP(GNU Image Manipulation Program - free program similar to and with many of the functions of photoshop)

You then buy a domain name i.e.www.mywebsite.com and hosting - where you store the files that make up your website.
    For what you need it shouldn't cost much more than €50 or so.

with hosting you can either download wordpress from http://wordpress.org or some hosting providers have it as an option to install from their "control panel"

Look at this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055075688 (The hosting sticky) for a list of hosting companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

Frank3142 wrote: »
    Hi,

Our Transition Year class are participating in the 'Student Enterprise' competition this year and my group are considering making a website with reviews on games, movies, music etc. Basically Im looking for advice on :
    Cheers

Correct spelling is essential if you want to look professional (No, seriously! :p).

As the poster above said, the only things that will cost money are the domain name and the hosting - unless you want to pay someone else to make the site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

I base most of my client websites off WordPress now as it can be highly modified to make a nice functional CMS. It's also easy to style too.

WordPress would be an ideal solution for your enterprise project as it would allow multiple users to submit reviews etc and allow visitors to comment. There are two versions of Wordpress -- the free blogging service and the self-hosting version

If you're handy at HTML and some CSS you could easily undertake this job yourself. To self-host you will need to factor in the cost for hosting and a domain, around €40 a year for a blog would be more then sufficient. For the free blogging service you shouldn't have any expenses, but you have limited functionality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭whizgremlin

Frank3142 wrote: »
    Hi,

Cheers

There are alot of steps involved in making a professional website, and if you have no experience in this field there are even more steps!!

My advice is to get yourself a blog over on http://www.blogger.com - you will have no costs and when your a student this is paramount!

The beauty of creating a blog like this is that you dont need to know code its simply entering data and uploading pictures of whatever you want, plus you can link to other sites and also generate alot of publicity by linking up with friends' blogs and twitter etc...If you are also looking for some inspiration just do a random google blog search for game/movie review blogs and you'll see how popular they are and what ideas you can take from it and transfer to your own.

If cash can flow alot easier over time prior to the awards you can also transfer your existing blog to your domain/hosting and by that time you will have a following/presence and also a good rating from a SEO point of view

Hope this sheds some light on your dilemma!

Advertisement