Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fail NCT for having a subwoofer?

• 15-09-2009 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

I have a faiirly large subwoofer that would be difficulty remove for Thursday's NCT. They say the boot has to be empty... advice!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

I think the boot has to be empty so they can easily check the spare wheel so provided the sub woofer doesn't get in the way of the any of the NCT check items then it "should" be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Sordini

That makes perfect sense airtight, lets just hope sense is on my side :)

Spare tyre is both visible easily removable despite sub.
    tnx

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭xFROSTY Gx

Are you legally required to have a spare tyre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

xFROSTY Gx wrote: »
    Are you legally required to have a spare tyre?

If the car came with a spare tyre you are legally required to have one if the car came with no spare tyre then you are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭kildarelad

Spare tyre doesnt have to be in the car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

kildarelad wrote: »
    Spare tyre doesnt have to be in the car

From the NCT site

3. Wheels ; tyres
    tyre condition
    tyre Specification
    tyre tread
    wheels
    spare wheel and carrier
    wheel bearings

http://www.ncts.ie/inspection_list.html##3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Tefral

I have passed 2 ncts once upon a time with a full boot install. They just look under neath for rust instead.

If you have a spare wheel in the car, they will check its secured properly and that the thread is 1.6mm or over.

if there is no spare wheel you will not fail. Simple as that, even though the construction equipment and use of vehicles act 1963 states ya need a wheel in your car. (at odds with new cars giving the foam and air compressor i know). I have also passed 2 ncts with no wheel and in fact most people i know take out the spare wheel so they cant be failed on it.

Anyway, youll be fine once its secured properly, if its anyway loose you'll fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

cronin_j wrote: »
    I have passed 2 ncts once upon a time with a full boot install. They just look under neath for rust instead.

If you have a spare wheel in the car, they will check its secured properly and that the thread is 1.6mm or over.

if there is no spare wheel you will not fail. Simple as that, even though the construction equipment and use of vehicles act 1963 states ya need a wheel in your car. (at odds with new cars giving the foam and air compressor i know). I have also passed 2 ncts with no wheel and in fact most people i know take out the spare wheel so they cant be failed on it.

Anyway, youll be fine once its secured properly, if its anyway loose you'll fail.

Wrong!

Only taxis are legally required, to have a spare wheel in the car. Not part of the test for private cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

No you can actually fail without a spare tire in the car, if the car comes with one from manufacturer there must be one present at all times that is legal for road use.

Seen someone actually failed on this and they had to come back with the spare for a visual inspection!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Tefral

The-Game wrote: »
    No you can actually fail without a spare tire in the car, if the car comes with one from manufacturer there must be one present at all times that is legal for road use.

Seen someone actually failed on this and they had to come back with the spare for a visual inspection!

False

http://www.ncts.ie/nctmanual.pdf

see page 56

note how it says "If fitted"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭xFROSTY Gx

Hate to be dragging this back up but I have another question. I have the NCT coming up soon and I'll be able to remove my sub box no problem. I'm just wondering if I could leave the cables still loose in the boot so I dont have to take off the interior trim to remove the cables. Anyone have any experience leaving exposed cables in there boot?:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

xFROSTY Gx wrote: »
    Hate to be dragging this back up but I have another question. I have the NCT coming up soon and I'll be able to remove my sub box no problem. I'm just wondering if I could leave the cables still loose in the boot so I dont have to take off the interior trim to remove the cables. Anyone have any experience leaving exposed cables in there boot?:o
    Get some electrical tape and cover the ends, there you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

I wouldnt even be in a hurry to remove your sub, i've passed it with a 15" sub in a ported box the size of a washing machine in the boot,likewise with installs that had no spare wheel at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

eireal wrote: »
    I wouldnt even be in a hurry to remove your sub, i've passed it with a 15" sub in a ported box the size of a washing machine in the boot,likewise with installs that had no spare wheel at all
    OP's NCT was nearly 3 months ago :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

That's why i was telling frosty to leave their sub in, no point worrying about cables when it'l be fine as it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

cronin_j wrote: »
    False

http://www.ncts.ie/nctmanual.pdf

see page 56

note how it says "If fitted"

Well the guy who it happened to was told by the NCT Tester that his model of car was fitted with one and as there is provisions for it in the boot he is required to have it with him, strange i thought but he had to bring the spare back for visual inspection.

Advertisement