Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Sniper Game

Options
  • 15-09-2009 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭

Im just playing thru COD4 on pc now and it made me realise how cool a good sniping themed game would be.

Can anyone suggest some good pc games that just focus on sniping. If youve played them, what did you think?

I was lookin into getting the new Operation Flashpoint but dont know if it will be to heavy weighted toward simulation. Ive been playing fps for years but I doubt I want something where you have to take into account wind velocity or the curvature of the earth!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Sniper Elite was a fantastic game. It's a few years old, but it was brilliantly put together. It's set in WW2 and has some great features like using the sound of planes or bombs to hide the sound of your shots. It also did a slow motion tracking of your bullet when you do great shots. It really reminds me of that film Enemy At The Gates, where sometimes you're crawling through ruined cities trying to kill other snipers.

It's well worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Paddo81

Cool cheers man, I never heard of that. But it pretty much is bang on the money of what Im lookin for. Im not to bothered about the time setting. I havent played a WWII game in ages.

Is there any modern themed Sniping games around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Sniper Elite is fun, though its very scripted. Sniping is a slow activity therefore its only appeals to some people. Closest you'll get is a multiple game of something like flashpoint, or COD4 where theres only a couple of you in it. But Sniper Elite is worth a few hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Arma 2 can have loads of sniping in it, depends on mission tho as its very varied

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Arma 2 can have loads of sniping in it, depends on mission tho as its very varied

Can play as a sniper/spotter as long as you want. Can always find a decent spot. Fire get the kill and move!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I thought sniper elite was pure ass.

Far cry has a crackin sniper rifle in it

There's a good selection of Arma II sniper vids on Youtube, here. There's a huge selection of weaponry, but especially check out the DMR, its utterly amazing once You get the hang of the aim. Aim is centred at 300m, next dot down is ~400m, next ~500m, next ~600m, last ~650m.

There is a demo for Arma II, but this is an unpatched version of the game and is pretty buggy. Don't take much heed to the single player either, online multiplayer playing custom missions is where the fun is:
    http://www.filefront.com/13929938/ArmA-2-Playable-Demo/

Us Arma II players hang out in the Tactical Shooter Forum by the way, see You there

I've never tried it, but I hear Americas Army is fairly faithful, in that you'll be sitting around for hours waiting for the perfect moment to arrive. Anyone tried this?

Why would you ?

Wait around for hours i mean,,,,who has the time and inclination for such a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,766 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Far cry has a crackin sniper rifle in it

Everytime I see those words "Far Cry", it just kills me how bad the sequel was. Far Cry 2 sucked

• Advertisement

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Why would you ?

Wait around for hours i mean,,,,who has the time and inclination for such a thing.
    Some people apparently love it. Don't get it myself. I've heard of people waiting up to 12 hours in that game. Don't know if it was people joking or not, but I hope they were.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I always found Red Orchestra to have possibly the best sniping in any fps ive played.
    Its uber realistic so be warned, proper weapon ballistics with bullet drop etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Trilla wrote: »
    Everytime I see those words "Far Cry", it just kills me how bad the sequel was. Far Cry 2 sucked

Amen to that. Hated FC2. I know the first game was hard, but I hate in FC2 the way your just sneaking around in the undergrowth and then all of a sudden 10 lads are leathering you with bullets from all angles. Its just OTT.

FarCry2 had absolutely nothing in common with the first. It was by a different developer and was a blatent attempt by Ubisoft to extract money out of the name of the first with a half arsed game. The developer of the first, Crytek went on to create Crysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Far Cry was great up until the monkeys, Crysis was decent up until the aliens, Warhead was never great but MP is fun.

Crytek so play Perfect Dark, Aliens Elvis and Monkeys ruin good games :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

best thing about far cry 2 was the beautiful graphics...... missions were way to repetive with no fast travel system.... they should of implemented the whole differnt factions way better ......... Even if your working for a faction they still attack you ....... Sounds just lazy to me they couldnt be bothered sorting out the code to allow friendly and hostile factions.

Well, Far Cry 2 was brilliant up until the moment I realised it was so repetative. I still like it and I still play it from time to time, but it could of been so much more. Although I so remember sniping being fun in it once you get the crossbow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Kief

Sniper Elite is a great game. You can adjust the settings like wind, gravity etc to your skill level. I play it with everything on so its very tricky, but when you pull the trigger and it goes into slow-mo headshot cam..... its all worth it.

Its a game for patient people tho, theres a lot of slow moving, sneaking around, finding a good spot then waiting there for ages for the perfect shot. When one lets his guard down for just a second, or when two guys are one behind the other for a one bullet two kill shot, or waiting for a plane to roar overhead or a bomb to go off so no ones hears the shot or hears his death scream.

A feckin brilliant game!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Velros

Yes, sniper elite is a good game, but its abit ancient in this year, we need a new extreme sniping game, abit of stunning graphics with realistic gameplay. COD4,5 did it for me for a while but im hoping for something even better from MW2?? Videos look great so far.

Last 2 posters have 6 posts between them...not that it makes their opinion any less valid...

Just thinkin maybe theres someone from the Sniper Elite development team lurkin around :P :P

• Advertisement

I admit it. I'm a shill too. I've just been waiting since 2004 to post that the game was good. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

hmmm sniper games... - trolling :cool:

not shooter on the iTouch anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Sniper Elite was class online....

An online match where there was no one running round, all just camping, eyes unblinking watching the screen for movement.

It wouldn't appeal to everyone but I thought it was class. Noobs running about the place were normally picked off non stop and left or were kicked for not sniping.

Next best game with Sniping would have to be Far Cry 2 (ya I know, some of you hate it), but I never got sick of sniping the bad guys in it.

Lads about ArmaII. It looks like its worth a try but as someone mentioned if its best to concentrate on the MP side of it, is it worth gettin for just SP. Im on a wireless BBand connection with sh!t upload speed. Ive had rubbish ping on most MP games ive tried. So is with worth bothering with just for SP?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Agricola wrote: »
    Lads about ArmaII. It looks like its worth a try but as someone mentioned if its best to concentrate on the MP side of it, is it worth gettin for just SP. Im on a wireless BBand connection with sh!t upload speed. Ive had rubbish ping on most MP games ive tried. So is with worth bothering with just for SP?
    You could clear the campaign in about 4-7days.

The campaign will give you a good overview of the game, controls and concepts but you probably still wont be any good at it when you finish it.

If you play the single player campaign, see the map, command the squads, fly the choppers you will probably change your internet connection after it... :D

Or you will get shot in the head by a sniper in a bush from 1000m and you will say "this is buggy ****! Im not playin' this!".

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Any that work on a mac

• Registered Users Posts: 83,298 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Sniper Elite? Never heard of it.

Ghost Recon was a hoot. Then there was silent Scope at the arcade - I spent too much money on that one. Then of course you have TF2 even though its gone to the dogs. CSS/1.6 is another good one.

kenon wrote: »
    you will probably change your internet connection after it... :D

If only I could..........!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

How come nobodys mentioned Battlefield 2 ?? I still play the odd day and will always chance sniper in a tight city map

• Advertisement
Advertisement