Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Overwintering a Bull

• 15-09-2009 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭

We had problems in the past with lameness when the bull was in on concrete during the winter...
    Last two years we had him on a small field near the yard and fed him there, he was content as he was close to the cows but then the cows are seperated too long which delays the following calving..
    Anyone else see problems with lameness or were we unlucky ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

what breed of bull?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭hammer73

did you think of putting him on rubber mats? slat mats or solid rubber if its not slats. ive seen mats sort out your problem plenty of times. PM me for details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

We're a little low tech I'm afraid..
    Large straw bedded shed and fed on open concrete yard..

We have a small slatted shed but we overwinter a few of the smaller weanlings there..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭hammer73

thats a difficult one to sort out, if he was on slats i would say put him on slat mats but if he is on a big open yard thats going to be expensive to put rubber on. there is probably something more going on there than just standing on concrete for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭John_F

could it have been caused by stones in the concrete yard?? when i was in nz they had a big emphasis on making sure the cows didn't have stones on there feet when they put their foot on hard surfaces so put a kerb the cows had to step over to make them lift the leg up high and rub against it, it defiantly worked

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 McMan

We have had a problem with lameness in our charlois Bull last year and this year. We dont house our cattle in the winter, including the bull so maybe it isnt the ground he is on. It could be a joint problem or overgrowth of the hoof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

bbam wrote: »
    We had problems in the past with lameness when the bull was in on concrete during the winter...
    Last two years we had him on a small field near the yard and fed him there, he was content as he was close to the cows but then the cows are seperated too long which delays the following calving..
    Anyone else see problems with lameness or were we unlucky ?

If padock is secure, fenced, he has a dry lie and shelter from the worst weather, he should be be grand no matter where the cows are. he soon gets used to not having the wives around to nag him :o:o. At least mine does..

R

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

think outdoors-if its a dry field..with shelther! if not--a shed nearby! that get be used by said animal,on a bad night! is good..
    i plan to outwinter 3 weanling pb bulls outdoors this year! i hav about 3 acres of gd aftergrass built on--will strip graze them, and feed them meal..
    what would u give them+also how much?
    only prob with field i hav lacks shelther,say they might get 2 months out of it!
    not weaning till november!
    had similar animals indoors last yr--didn't do great,gettin half a stone each a day of a ration(silage was poor)but they only picked up/thrived when got out in march!
    rant over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 McMan

wiggy123 wrote: »
    think outdoors-if its a dry field..with shelther! if not--a shed nearby! that get be used by said animal,on a bad night! is good..
    i plan to outwinter 3 weanling pb bulls outdoors this year! i hav about 3 acres of gd aftergrass built on--will strip graze them, and feed them meal..
    what would u give them+also how much?
    only prob with field i hav lacks shelther,say they might get 2 months out of it!
    not weaning till november!
    had similar animals indoors last yr--didn't do great,gettin half a stone each a day of a ration(silage was poor)but they only picked up/thrived when got out in march!
    rant over
    We are holding about 6 weanling bulls this winter outdoors on about 5 acres. They will be getting Hi energy beef nuts and half a round bale a day to start with. There is no shelter in the field so we usually erect a tin wind breaker which does the trick. This has worked out great for as long as we have been outwintering.

Advertisement