Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diamonds fell out of right - my rights

Options
  • 15-09-2009 9:04pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello all, bought the GF a ring there 5 weeks ago, before we went on holidays, during the holidays we noticed two empty gaps in the ring, thought something looked funny.
    So anyway she was out passing the store this evening and went in to look at the same ring, it seems that the two holes actualy a bar of gold with a line of diamonds - missing, I don't think we ever noticed if it was missing or not when we bought the ring
    now the girl asked for the receipt etc, asked questions how she goes about her day, but I had the receipt so she said she'd come back
    Now the thing is ok, they want to send it back for a "manufactures to see if it was faulty test"
    No problem. BUT the previous ring she had before this, she had for 18 months the same thing happened(a different ring, more expensive) one of the diamonds fell out too. it was gone for 4 months to be tested(and found to be not faulty, but gave a credit note under good will) I just think there work is not up to standard that in industry requires.
    Now this is how we were led to buy a different ring(credit note - couldn't get a refund, but didn't use it for 9 months later)
    Now I know I am entitled to a refund, repair or replacement.
    I don't fancy waiting another 4 months to get this one checked out - neither does she.
    So before I head in during the week. am i entitled to pick what I want, as in a refund. I don't fancy spending anymore money in this shop
    Also its not a wedding ring we're talking about :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Sounds like she is very hard on her jewelery, I doubt they will turn you away but really she needs to take more care of her ring...

MC

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The ring should be under warranty, if it's a faulty setting they should replace the diamonds.

I also agree with MunsterCycling, if you're buying a good quality ring then it's highly unlikely this would happen twice in a row. If you're buying a heap of shíte however...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Might it be covered under house insurance?

I'd definitely arrange some form of insurance for the next one if I were you!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Thanks for the advice. Its not wroth that much to be putting under the house insruance. She doesn't go very hard on the jewlary, thing is the cheapie rings she wears(under 100 quid) have lasted longer and been better quility.I just think the quality build of this shop isn't the best. and she doesn't fancy getting the ring repaired, we've lost hope in the place no. but do I HAVE to accept a repair/replacement first?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Lenny wrote: »
    but do I HAVE to accept a repair/replacement first?

Basically yes.. assuming there is a fault and the loss of the diamond was not through abuse then they have to offer repair, replacement or refund. The law doesn't state which or who gets to choose, but the accepted practise is for the merchant to offer, and if you disagree you could go to the Small Claims Court, BUT the court is unlikely to side with you if the merchant has offered a perfectly reasonable solution (repair/replacement).

All repairs should be permanent.. so if it breaks again then you could refuse a second repair. (but i don't imagine it is relevant this time as the last credit note was a good will gesture as no fault was found, so you are basically starting at square one again).

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Id be interested to know what the setting was like. Sounds like a channel type setting, and in some rings the channel isnt deep enough or the stones arent seated right, and can twist out of the setting.

If the shop do offer you an exchange, make sure to choose a different setting. Jewellery that repeatedly breaks, can do so either because its faulty, or because the use its subjected to is too heavy for it. Thats where the jeweller should be careful and not sell you something that wont withstand your daily life. For instance I would never sell an engagement ring containing pearls or opals, as the ring will be worn for a long time and the stones are just too delicate.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭diamondgirl

a jeweller would normally send the ring back to the maufacturers to be checked first.
    as far as i know, they are intitled to get the ring checked first, before offering you a replacment.
    Why dont you get a second opinon from a different jewellers, as to why the diamonds have fallen out.
    as far as insurance goes, they would get the ring repaired for you, if you are covered on your insurance, once there is no wear & tear on the ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

By any chance was the ring sized down? If it was, it may have stratched the setting. If it was sized by or through the shop which sold the ring, then they should look after it.

4 months, however, seems like an excessive amount of time for it to take to check out the ring.

By any chance does your girlfriend work in an office? Not being funny, but one thing which can do a lot of damage to jewellery is filing cabinets! People tend to knock their rings off them without realising.

Someone mentioned getting a second opinion about the ring; that would be a good idea.

Advertisement