Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget Weddings

Options
  • 15-09-2009 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Anybody recently had a wedding with a fairly low budget. I am helping to organise my sister's wedding. We have provisionally booked a venue (Barberstown Castle, Straffan, Co. Kildare) and photography (Leinster Photography - leinsterphoto@gmail.com) and we got a great price. Just wondering if you have any ideas for music - band or DJ - on a shoestring? I'm sure there's loads of people out there looking for a budget wedding?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Budget wedding in Barberstown Castle :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 deirdre82

We narrowed it down to Barberstown and the K Club and Barberstown won it as they dropped their price. Recession definitely helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭lizabbey7

there is an excellent band in the westmeath area but they do travel, the big kahuna, they have a website and they sound exactly live as they do on it which is great...we have booked them for next year for our wedding

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

deirdre82 wrote: »
    Anybody recently had a wedding with a fairly low budget. I am helping to organise my sister's wedding. We have provisionally booked a venue (Barberstown Castle, Straffan, Co. Kildare) and photography (Leinster Photography - leinsterphoto@gmail.com) and we got a great price. Just wondering if you have any ideas for music - band or DJ - on a shoestring? I'm sure there's loads of people out there looking for a budget wedding?

pm sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 catherineh

I see you booked Leinster Photography. I was recommended Gerard Kiely from Leinster Photography by a friend and it turned out really well. Gerard was with us all day for our wedding and reception and we spent less than €1,000 back in Feb,2009. He was fantastic and very lively all day. Definitely recommend him. I hope you got a good deal from them. You should check out Finnstown House and Moyvalley. They are good value as well with top class facilities! Music wise we went for a traditional Irish band and don't know whether you are looking for this. We spent about €800 on the music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

We immediately cut barbarstown out. Their prices are some of the highest I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

amdublin wrote: »
    Budget wedding in Barberstown Castle :confused:

I guess one couple's idea of 'budget' is another couple's idea of bankruptcy! :P

perhaps it would be more helpful if OP gave a ballpark figure of the budget - i.e €5k, €10k etc, then we might be better able to determine what is in 'their' budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 deirdre82

I guess some people are afraid to ask for a discount! We got a great price. Budget for music is €1,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Afraid to ask for a discount?!?! I asked if the bridal suite was included in the (very high) package price to be rather snottily told that the rooms had just been done up and that they "don't give away rooms". I then asked if we could have a package, designed for 120 people, if our numbers were slightly lower (about 110). I was made feel like the scum of the earth for asking. I asked what vegetarian options were available, I was told that it would incur an extra charge.

Then again this was about 7 months ago, I'm happy to see that the recession has taken them down a peg or two. They'll now lower themselves to negotiate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Afraid to ask for a discount?!?! I asked if the bridal suite was included in the (very high) package price to be rather snottily told that the rooms had just been done up and that they "don't give away rooms". I then asked if we could have a package, designed for 120 people, if our numbers were slightly lower (about 110). I was made feel like the scum of the earth for asking. I asked what vegetarian options were available, I was told that it would incur an extra charge.

Then again this was about 7 months ago, I'm happy to see that the recession has taken them down a peg or two. They'll now lower themselves to negotiate.

Wow Helena.... thats harsh. Our hotel said they always make a couple of vegetarian meals just in case and also since we were having tradition turkey and ham they also would ensure there were a couple of beef meals again incase anyone came back saying they would not eat that! This was at no extra charge. We had everything included, we had tea and sambos, bridal suite for two nights, red carpet flowers, everything all covered in the per head price.

• Advertisement
Advertisement