Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom terribly slow for anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭Grommet

hellboy99 wrote: »
    ...my parents have 3MB with Eircom and for near a week now can't get speeds above 1MB nor an explanation from Eircom about whats up

What exchange are they on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Grommet wrote: »
    What exchange are they on?
    Carrickmacross, Co.Monaghan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Grommet wrote: »
    Zimmer - that exchange was only launched in June this year so cannot be congesting already itself. I am 90% sure that you must be connected to the Mullingar Broadband Aggregation Server (BRAS). If so, the good news is that there is an upgrade planned for that node (was due to be completed this week but for technical reasons has been delayed until early next week). So all going well, you should see a dramatic improvement in your speeds early next week.

I sure hope you are right m8. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

I sure hope you are right m8. :)

You must be right.

My internet is working like it should be, for the first time for ages.

578285095.png

:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭jeffk

Ive gotten almost 8mb on a good torrent tonight. Do a jdownloader/firefox download/s and I get between 3-5mb. When I do a speedtest it just stays around the 456 mark for over a week now.

Not to go of topic but am i doing or have something that is doing this?Or is it normal for a torrent to hit higher speeds than http downloads from time to time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Deicida

Anyone else getting really high ping tonight?

Tracing route to www.boards.ie [89.234.66.107]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms 1 ms <1 ms 192.168.0.1
    2 494 ms 97 ms 172 ms 194.46.193.66
    3 45 ms 46 ms 43 ms 193.95.145.27
    4 42 ms 44 ms 47 ms vlan72.rt001.cwt.esat.net [193.95.130.209]
    5 42 ms 44 ms 43 ms ge0.br001.cwt.esat.net [193.95.129.4]
    6 205 ms 198 ms 209 ms to-inex-dub-deg-gw.digiweb.ie [193.242.111.20]
    7 53 ms 53 ms 55 ms ip-89-234-66-107.dedi.digiweb.ie [89.234.66.107]

Game server I play on:

Tracing route to server.killercreation.co.uk [81.19.209.167]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.0.1
    2 141 ms 80 ms 51 ms 194.46.193.66
    3 40 ms 39 ms 41 ms 193.95.145.27
    4 40 ms 40 ms 40 ms vlan72.rt001.cwt.esat.net [193.95.130.209]
    5 39 ms 40 ms 41 ms ge0-0.core001.cwt.esat.net [193.95.129.1]
    6 314 ms 311 ms 312 ms pos2-0.br001.ldn.esat.net [193.95.131.14]
    7 314 ms 313 ms 315 ms linx-gw0.enta.net [195.66.224.151]
    8 324 ms 316 ms 319 ms te5-1.telehouse-east2.core.enta.net [87.127.236.98]
    9 317 ms 318 ms 318 ms te4-1.telehouse-north.core.enta.net [87.127.236.38]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

That congestion is on a BT > Digiweb link you plank :D

This is a thread devoted to bitching about eircom not BT > Digiweb interconnects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    That congestion is on a BT > Digiweb link you plank :D

This is a thread devoted to bitching about eircom not BT > Digiweb interconnects.
    Actually, the 194.46.x.x subnet belongs to UTV, not BT.

*EDIT*

WHOIS:
    http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois/?tool_id=66&token=&toolhandler_redirect=0&ip=194.46.0.0
    http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois/?tool_id=66&token=&toolhandler_redirect=0&ip=194.46.255.255

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Actually, the 194.46.x.x subnet belongs to UTV, not BT.

Always note position of slowdown !!!!

Always note position of slowdown !!!!

That was never in dispute. :)

This is because it's commonly known that UTV use BT infrastructure, which can be seen on any tracert (trace route) command to any IP or DNS. I was only pointing out the the guy you were calling a "plank" was a UTV customer with the IP he's using.

• Advertisement

UTV is not a real ISP, they are 'hosted' on BT ( or is that Vodafone nowadays)

But the tracert shows an issue that is not eircoms fault and this is a bitch about eircom thread .

UTV is not a real ISP, they are 'hosted' on BT ( or is that Vodafone nowadays)

But the tracert shows an issue that is not eircoms fault and this is a bitch about eircom thread .
    UTV and BT are both Eircom Wholesale customers, who re-sell a bitstream service with Eircom at the heart of it. UTV is an ISP like the rest of the re-sellers. BT have sold all their residential and small business contracts onto Vodafone, essentially selling that portion of their company to them.

But yes, it is an Eircom thread. Search around, everyone, you'll find plenty of BT/UTV bitching threads. Hell, I've even started a few and one just recently.

Check out:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055690091

Actually BT routes are congested into Digiweb and also congested into Bt Ireland London and thereupon into Telehouse East and across to Telehouse North . Eircom OTOH come straight into Telehouse North.

Furthermore the ENTA people mentioned in that tracert and with gear in Telehouse East confess they are rebooting routers in Telehouse East , must be the pesky air conditioning in TFM70 again !

http://noc.enta.net/2009/09/emergency-maintenance-telehouse-east-core-enta-net/

Actually BT routes are congested into Digiweb and also congested into Bt Ireland London and thereupon into Telehouse East and across to Telehouse North . Eircom OTOH come straight into Telehouse North.

Furthermore the ENTA people mentioned in that tracert and with gear in Telehouse East confess they are rebooting routers in Telehouse East , must be the pesky air conditioning in TFM70 again !

http://noc.enta.net/2009/09/emergency-maintenance-telehouse-east-core-enta-net/
    Problems like this are usually temporary. With all the routes you'll take to various addresses/servers, not every path is going to be problem free (congestion and overworked routers [not rooters, goddamn it!]).

This thread really should be aiming to question long-term issues, such as the one I'm having on my own exchange / ISP (catastrophic slowdowns in the evenings lasting until midnight or later).

I would never be found wanting if there were a genuine bitch about eircom Deceifer . Would I ???

This ain't it , move on :D

I would never be found wanting if there were a genuine bitch about eircom Deceifer . Would I ???

This ain't it , move on :D
    I will advise the same for you. :D

I think it's time this thread went back to its roots.

I think it's time this thread went back to its roots.

You are the one who blamed UTV :eek:

I believe what I said was:
    That was never in dispute. :)

This is because it's commonly known that UTV use BT infrastructure, which can be seen on any tracert (trace route) command to any IP or DNS. I was only pointing out the the guy you were calling a "plank" was a UTV customer with the IP he's using.

Note that I never said the problem was UTV's fault, I only said the person was a UTV customer. :)

I did not say you were wrong about it not being an ISP issue. I'm not a networking expert, so I draw the line at the point of where the extent of my knowledge ends.

So, let's leave this thread for Eircom customers to continue their defacing.

. I'm not a networking expert, so I draw the line at the point of where the extent of my knowledge ends.

Ah but you linked many many correct proofs aimed at me about UTV IP address ranges.

They were both correct and irrelevant.

A tracert clearly shows where a slowdown actually occurs and that is where you must point the finger !!! To give you an example I once had a server behind a congested link shared with Ryanair ( who were behind the same link)

I used to send Ryanair my tracerts and Ryanair used to kick up absolute ****e for themselves ( and for me )

It got fixed :D

Ah but you linked many many correct proofs aimed at me about UTV IP address ranges.

They were both correct and irrelevant.

A tracert clearly shows where a slowdown actually occurs and that is where you must point the finger !!! To give you an example I once had a server behind a congested link shared with Ryanair ( who were behind the same link)

I used to send Ryanair my tracerts and Ryanair used to kick up absolute ****e for themselves ( and for me )

It got fixed :D
    Ah that'll be Michael alright. :P

• Advertisement

I'll be starting a bank next week and will need a strategy director from the off, :cool:

I'll be starting a bank next week and will need a strategy director from the off, :cool:
    Here's your man:
    http://blog.election-americaine.vsd.fr/files/2008/12/dick-fuld.jpg

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 kjenkinson26

I'm getting this from my 3mb Eircom.

583129853.png

Can this be right....seems very slow. any comments?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

I'm getting this from my 3mb Eircom.

583129853.png

Can this be right....seems very slow. any comments?????

Yes its slow. You should check with a couple of servers. Sometimes it can just be too many people testing the one server and it slows it down.

http://speedtest.magnet.ie is a good one.

Magnet test =
    Download Speed: 631 kbps (78.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 244 kbps (30.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Don't really understand this ????

Irish isp test= is around the same and said that quality was 99%

Is this right??? When I am downloading anything I only get an average of 78kB/s.

Any help???

78Kbytes @ 8 BITs to a Byte = 630Kbits of speed. Consistent .

Can you give us line stats ??

How far are you from the exchange ?

Where are the line stats ? I am not sure where the exchange is but I live in Arklow if that helps.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

"Its a known problem and we are working on the exchange"

Same line as I got last week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭anbrutog

eircomscumbags.jpg

This is what my broadband looks like on a good day, when it works. Pings can sometimes go higher than 3000ms.

Also , these lying , deceitful scumbags should be brought to task for their new advertising campaign ( the one with the 55,000 returnees to their top notch , value for money , ultra reliable service ) . Not doubting that could be that number of people who have for some reason returned to Eircom ( after all , this is the land of Fianna Fail ) , but to come out with the other nonsense is simply scandalous.

Advertisement