Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom terribly slow for anyone else?

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭jeffk

I’m getting in the six hundreds again, so around 6 megabit. But this is the first time in a long time ive gotten this consistently.

I have done the following:

• Taken out the two sky boxes I had connected.
    • Put a filter on the phone line downstairs and the one upstairs (my routers in my bros room, so the phone lead comes from my downstairs to my parent’s room to it).
    • Also had one of those old 1970s Esq. connectors replaced(done for free if you ring Eircom)

These is not to say EVERYONE run out and do the same, but just an example of what I have done. @ One stage I was on 5ishmb and my brother was 6ishmb and I changed the wiring as above and got the same as him.

I have done my fair share of bashing of Eircom and still wouldn’t sing their praises.
    Two things are keeping me on them:

• Lack of enforcement of download caps
    • They’ll be there when you wake up (not to say all bb providers are going to go bust, but how many phone companies have come and gone since Eircom started)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭anbrutog

Just switched to UPC 20meg after being with being with Eircom for the last couple of years. What a difference, I finally have usable broadband! I'd urge anyone who can switch to do so, and get away from these jokers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

jeffk wrote: »
    • They’ll be there when you wake up (not to say all bb providers are going to go bust, but how many phone companies have come and gone since Eircom started)

Will they? I wouldn't be so sure.... Eircom has more debt than any other provider...... when interest rates start to move up from current near zero levels, and they have to re-finance bond issues, and have lost zillions of more customers, they, and the country, will be in a very difficult situation from a telecommunications perspective.....

Neither cable nor wireless can handle it because neither are sufficiently scalable in terms of providing 100% coverage of all household and business premises for this type of traffic.

Cable was designed to deliver TV to any number of households - but not two way services. The more households that use it for two-way traffic (like internet and voice) the slower and more unreliable it will get.

As for wireless, ask AT&T. They have put tens of billions of infrastructure into the San Francisco/Northern California area to deal with iPhone internet traffic - to no avail. Because virtually everyone has an iPhone and they can't even make a phone call because the system is totally saturated. People are dumping the iPhone as a result especially in the Bay area/silicon valley.

There is no alternative to FTTP. It would be cheaper to install compared with doing a "nama" on eircom. It has the range to reach every premises in the country, and is cheap to roll out in rural areas. It is somewhat more expensive to roll out in urban areas due to the cost of laying the fibre. A single fibre system open to and funded by multiple competing service providers would provide the optimum solution that would have a long shelf-life, providing a near infinite expansion of bandwidth speeds as required over time.

Well isnt eircom being sold of now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭_Kooli_

Im on Eircom 3Mb. Cant even get 700kbps.
    Its terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

RogerThat wrote: »
    Hellboy99 – what package have you got?
    What a stupid question to ask when you have the speeds answer me has! The tariff is irrelevant.
    Answer me, Deceifer has given you the correct advice. You do need to contact Eircom to sort your speed issue out. Bare in mind just because you have a slow speed, it does not mean that the issue is with your Internet Provider. It could be a number of things.
    For one, do you have any Peer to Peer software such as:-
    Torrent Software(Bitlord, µTorrent, Azureus, BitComet, BitTornado, Shareaza)
    Limewire
    E-Mule
    Kazaa
    Also, you should scan your PC using your antivirus software. You could have malware, spyware or some virus that is causing your slow speeds.
    How are you connected to your modem? Is it via Ethernet or wireless? This too can impact your speed if you have a poor wireless connection.
    These things need to be checked and confirmed before we go out and do some ISP bashing, people tend to let anger get in the way of reason and logic. I’m not saying the ISP is innocent. I’m just clarifying that there can be more than just one reason to your issue. It could be all or one.
    Just my two cents
    Your first post here on the boards and it's to bitch at me for asking "what package have you got" and you say;
    "These things need to be checked and confirmed before we go out and do some ISP bashing, people tend to let anger get in the way of reason and logic."
    Do you work for Eircom ?

If you bothered to look through my posts here and other threads on this section of the boards you will say that I have stated many times as to what my problem is and it's the same for many people across the country.

For your information all of the above you mentioned and more was check out weeks ago and well before I contacted Tech support. My problem is not with my ISP (BT) it's with Eircom, that has been confirmed both by my ISP Tech support and from Eircom.

By the way, there is no need for you to write in bold with an increases in font size, I can read, clearly you don't do enough :p

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭cup of tea

My 3mb package.

595075809.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 goldnoil

594948519.png

I pay for 3mb. :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

My eircom connection is working perfectly :)

My 7MB connection

595535506.png

BUT
    If you download a torrent it can hit over 6 and on cfos speed when running that speed test its hitting 6mb.
    So i wouldn't take speedtest.net as the definite answer as to what you speed is.IF you use torrents find one thats fast and that will give you a proper gauge.

• Advertisement

jeffk wrote: »
    Well isnt eircom being sold of now?
    The STT investment in eircom (49.9%) hasn't incinerated eircom's €3bn debt. That is why they were able to buy the company for €130 million odd.

This is eircom's fifth ownership change. Have any of the prior ownership structures improved eircom's position in terms of being a sustainable enterprise capable of delivering the future telecommunications needs of the country? Eircom lost €486 million last year. What will their financial results show when the current year ends? (A €500 million loss = €500 million increase in debt to fund the loss, because I can't see the rag bag of eircom shareholders (which includes the employees) throwing fresh money into the company).

STT has structured the deal so that they won't be lumbered with eircom's debt - which leaves eircom's debt with Ireland, and the ownership benefits largely with STT. Smart STT. Dumb Ireland. The STT deal is not yet signed, sealed and delivered.

www.sttelemedia.com

Jesus sounds like a worse version of nama only in the telecommunications sector.

Gotta love Irelands overall approach to technology and therefore technological advances. Youd swear we where afraid to better and improve the technology we use and rely on day to day.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 stevejcraven

595858411.png

I'm having nothing but trouble with Eircom over the last few weeks (after years of it being fine). :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

probe wrote: »
    The STT investment in eircom (49.9%) hasn't incinerated eircom's €3bn debt. That is why they were able to buy the company for €130 million odd.

The debt is somewhere between €3.2bn and €3.7bn, falling due in 2013 / 2014 in full and the pension fund deficit could well take total eircom 'debt' over €4bn .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

probe wrote: »

This is eircom's fifth ownership change. Have any of the prior ownership structures improved eircom's position in terms of being a sustainable enterprise capable of delivering the future telecommunications needs of the country? Eircom lost €486 million last year. What will their financial results show when the current year ends? (A €500 million loss = €500 million increase in debt to fund the loss, because I can't see the rag bag of eircom shareholders (which includes the employees) throwing fresh money into the company).

STT has structured the deal so that they won't be lumbered with eircom's debt - which leaves eircom's debt with Ireland, and the ownership benefits largely with STT. Smart STT. Dumb Ireland. The STT deal is not yet signed, sealed and delivered.

www.sttelemedia.com

I really have given up on this country. Too many incompetent inbreeds running things. I wonder what's the most amount of days you can stay in Ireland and be a tax exile?

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The debt is somewhere between €3.2bn and €3.7bn, falling due in 2013 / 2014 in full and the pension fund deficit could well take total eircom 'debt' over €4bn .

One wonders what the market interest rates will be in 2013/14 for a company with eircom's credit rating, when they come to roll over all this debt? Their customer base continues to shrink. The fixed cost base remains high. Financing costs will be even higher.

No sign of any spark in terms of providing a price competitive "next generation" customer experience. They continue to adopt a monopoly exploitation model that is rapidly going into meltdown.

I really have given up on this country. Too many incompetent inbreeds running things. I wonder what's the most amount of days you can stay in Ireland and be a tax exile?

Find a better country first – relatively easy.

Find a job in the current job market in the country in question. Less easy.

Don’t throw the baby out with the bathwater!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I got a 24Mb line in Malta (which is in the middle of the freakin Mediterranian) in 3 days and they apoligised for being slow installing it.

Tv, Internet and phone cos 35 Euro a month.

I too am thinking about the tax exile thing...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

596859682.png

Thatis 3 mb boardband with Eircom in Cavan.

Advertisement