Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friends Required Arts :)

Options
  • 15-09-2009 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

Don't know if anyone else is experiencing this. It seems kinda sad, but it's actually annoying me now. I'm starting Arts and I've realised that due to the nature of my lectures and tutorials, I'm finding it hard to make friends. I'm by no means a loser and have plenty of friends outside UCD and am not shy, but it seems that after lectures people just run and there's no sense of community. Even in tutorials, people seem to have this cool persona they are trying to uphold and don't really open up. After a while I will more than likely make a friend or two, but at the moment it's really p*ssng me off. I end up walking up and down the campus between lectures. I don't know anyone who attends UCD from my outer circle of friends so I'm just walking around alone and it's getting me down. I'm not looking for advice on "how to make friends". I know perfectly well that it just happens. I'm just wondering if anybody else is in the same boat. And before people begin, I know about societies and the like and have joined a good few, which I expect will yield a few mates in time, but I'm just looking for peoples opinions on this. Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I knew people before I went to UCD who were there with me, but they weren't in the same lectures so I find that it is very difficult to make friends through tutorials/lectures. This is partly down to my poor small talk ability and lack of patience I have with meeting new people. Locker neighbours are good to chat to though. We seem to share a common, mutual giddy feeling. Especially us top locker folk, we like to look down at the lower locker people

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

i know what you mean. Arts can be impersonal (is that a word??)

I know you've already mentioned it, but try the societies. Have you joined any clubs aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kournikova

I'm in a similar position to the OP but I have never been great at meeting new people so I assumed it was just me lol. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

Guys, the best advice I can give you is to get involved in small societies which interest you or in sports team. Unfortunately college is very different to school in that you don't share a year structure or regulated lunchtimes or even being forced to be in the confines of a particular place for alot of the day. It can be a real struggle at the start but in my experience you make your best friends through engaging in all that the university has to offer. If you make a stab at going to the various society meetings you will find other people on campus to share lunch and time with and you are also quite likely to find someone else in your year in arts which will be even better.

We have loads of sports clubs on campus (list here) and if sport isn't your thing there are loads of societies to choose from. There are the big societies which will give you the best free stuff in Freshers week but they are also hard to get involved in and make friends. We have lots of small societies based on an interest in politics; an interest in a particular language; an interest in volunteering to help others; societies based on religions and all sorts of other societies based on other interests. Full list of societies available here http://www.ucd.ie/socs.htm .

There is still plenty of Freshers week left - even if you are shy I would encourage you to get along to the Freshers tent and have a chat to people at the stands of various societies that might interest you - I think you will be surprised at how friendly and welcoming people will be to get you involved.

You will make friends, so don't worry, just try your best to get involved and things will be easier :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Boards UCD Arts session? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Arpa wrote: »
    Don't know if anyone else is experiencing this. It seems kinda sad, but it's actually annoying me now. I'm starting Arts and I've realised that due to the nature of my lectures and tutorials, I'm finding it hard to make friends. I'm by no means a loser and have plenty of friends outside UCD and am not shy, but it seems that after lectures people just run and there's no sense of community. Even in tutorials, people seem to have this cool persona they are trying to uphold and don't really open up. After a while I will more than likely make a friend or two, but at the moment it's really p*ssng me off. I end up walking up and down the campus between lectures. I don't know anyone who attends UCD from my outer circle of friends so I'm just walking around alone and it's getting me down. I'm not looking for advice on "how to make friends". I know perfectly well that it just happens. I'm just wondering if anybody else is in the same boat. And before people begin, I know about societies and the like and have joined a good few, which I expect will yield a few mates in time, but I'm just looking for peoples opinions on this. Cheers.

You're definitely in the same boat and it's been acknowledged for a few years now that it's difficult for students to make friends in the mammoth course that is Arts.

My advice would be to try not to get too disheartened, wear a smile and try a bit of small talk with those you sit next to whether it's outside a lecture, inside it, at a tutorial etc. You'll find you'll hit it off with somebody and when you do so just ask for their number and then you've found yourself a drinking buddy. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 EthanWM

Lectures in Arts is no easy way to meet and chat with people, even if you do end up chatting to them, you rarely end up that day going drinking in the bar or having lunch with them.

If you are a first year, run for class-rep. It's very easy to do, and it involves you organising parties, events, maybe trips etc. for your class. This way tou get to talk to them in a non-academic atmosphere and have a bit of banter. I ran for rep in first year and it was the best thing to do to get involved.

I'm now an active member of Artssoc which is a big society but easy enough to get involved in. Just get chatting to one of our reps at the stand or in general and then you can help out a bit and meet some lovely people ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Arpa

Thanks for the feedback. I had heard it was tricky to meet people in arts but was just becoming dismayed at waiting around between lectures, trying to look like I was waiting for a friend. Will do all the suggested things, clubs societies etc. God, it sounds silly and I had never envisioned it to be an issue but damn. In time it'll be grand I know. Just sad that I know my lecturers better than my fellowes. It's that whole thing in lectures though, you want to be nice if you strike up a conversation but then again if you seem too eager it's mortifying. "Will you be my friend? neehoiven". Think the best thing is a good session in the student bar. Seems to be the way we Irish make friends, enemies and get laid. On a serious note though, anyone in my position, I'm willing to take the plunge and suggest a p*ss up sometime? Can't be any harm to make more friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Post-fresher's week beers, you say?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

A get together wouldn't be a bad idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

Piss-up FTW :D

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭chave

betafrog wrote: »
    Just paint yourself orange and come in in ugg boots and a mini-skirt and the arts friends will be flooding in.....

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I'll be your friend...;)
    You are a bird right???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

A session it is so :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ravydavygravy

El Siglo wrote: »
    I'll be your friend...;)
    You are a bird right???

If you'll be his friend, he can be....

Seriously, what everyone else said - get involved in some societies/clubs and you'll be laughing about this in a few weeks....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

If you'll be his friend, he can be....

picture.php?albumid=729&pictureid=3863
    ;)
    Seriously, what everyone else said - get involved in some societies/clubs and you'll be laughing about this in a few weeks....

+1 on this, the first month is the hardest by far but you'll make it through and be laughing on the other side!

I might post start a thread about a session.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

To the OP, im with you mate but tbh it doesnt bother me too much because ive joined a few things and i know that im here for a few years so if you think about it, you cant really spend that amount of time with a group of people even if it is only one or two classes and not get to know anyone. So even though im in the same boat and therefore not in a position to be giving advice i'd say be like me and not sweat it. Its not an IF you'll make friends its simply a WHEN.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Boards UCD Arts session? ;)

Not with these f*ckers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

i think...

we have this kinda thread every year after the 1st week of college lol

c'est la vie!mate!get some nuts to go out there to meet people/get drunk!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

dr gonzo wrote: »
    Its not an IF you'll make friends its simply a WHEN.
    That sounds like a bet to me.

Winner gets ends on a bottle of coke? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Davidius wrote: »
    That sounds like a bet to me.

Winner gets ends on a bottle of coke? :pac:

Throw in a half eaten snickers and a stubbed out cigarette and im sold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭shanegj

ye should join a soc/club that interest you and ye could also do what we did last year and plan a big meet up somewhere on campus during the day

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Arpa

Ok great, a million and one suggestions. I must admit however that my apprehension was unfounded. I have made friends with a few people and have discovered that I was perhaps pre-emptive with my surmation of UCD Arts. If there is still anybody present, I propose a meeting/drinks in the forum bar. I'm attempting to congregate people, of which I know may never come to fruition, however, it's worth a shot, for any straddlers out there. Arrrive in forum, look for me, "black jacket, crewe cut, slightly intoxicated". If nothing then so be it. Third week is always an option. Best of luck.

Advertisement