Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

adding lights inside attic

Options
  • 15-09-2009 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

i am thinking of putting small workshop in the attic,

how do i go about puting lights in ???

do i spur from the bedroom lights below or am i better to spur from a socket and plug in a light??/:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

You may have this all thought through, if so forgive me, but are your attic joists sized to take a floor loading?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Hell Toupee

+1 Jack of All

You could do serious damage if the joists are only 4x2s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 owenjohnston

hello,

thanksfor reply,

when i say workshop i dont mean in the sesne of industrail use,

i have 3 children and i was thinking of letting them use it a play area for lego and other such things as the youngest is 18 months and breaks everyting, i thought if i put lights in after i m finished insulating it it would be a good idea,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Definitely suss out your joists first before even thinking about letting kids up there. 3 kids and their friends running and jumping up and down (they seemingly do that for some strange reason) are highly likely to leave you with nice cracked ceilings below. Plus once you've opened the attic it will get used for other things you didn't originally intend.

With regards to wiring, I'm no electrician, but I reckon you should keep lights on the lighting circuit only. If you spur off a socket an overload on the socket would leave you in darkness. Also, you could be in for a shock (literally) if your doing any work in a few years and isolate the lighting circuit instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Sound words of advice there from slimjimmc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement