Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Series?

• 15-09-2009 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

Anyone hear if there will be a new tv series?

I think they should make a new series set just after DS9 and Voyager, this prequel idea is a load of rubbish. There are so many things they could do with a new series. There's the unexplored Beta quadrant, we could also see more new species from the gamma quadrant and more of the dominion. We could see the afermath of the alpha quadrant after the dominion war. The ideas are endless? DS9 and Voyager have to be the best innovations of the star trek franchise. I don't want to see a remake of the the some old stuff we've seen a million times.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Ive thought for a long time, that they shoud shoot a show which focuses on deiiferent aspects of the galaxy. A few shows on a Federation Starship, a few shows on a Klingon Outpost, a few shows on Romulus, a few shows on a Cardassian ship etc etc. Thepossibilities are endless.

Though I cant quite see a new sereies coming to light for a long...long time. And if one does come along, it better not be set in this alt timeline with that horrible new "constition class" ship :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Wasnt there talk a (good) few years back about basing a series around the Klingons?

That would be class now!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I think a lot of people are eager for a post nemesis/dominion war series. The prequel even if its along the lines of the movie won't be successful I don't think.

Seeing a mini series looking at the dominion war from the cardaissian/breen/dominion/Klingon/Romulan sides would be good, for example you could have the Klingon view of the invasion of Cardassia, them finding out Martok was a changeling. Gowron refusing to release ships for the battle to take DS9.

Romulan could be them originally turning up to be part of the fleet then signing the non aggression pact with the Dominion, concentrating on building up their fleet and then the assination of Senator Vrenak and then them joining the war..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

EnterNow wrote: »
    Ive thought for a long time, that they shoud shoot a show which focuses on deiiferent aspects of the galaxy. A few shows on a Federation Starship, a few shows on a Klingon Outpost, a few shows on Romulus, a few shows on a Cardassian ship etc etc. Thepossibilities are endless.

Though I cant quite see a new sereies coming to light for a long...long time. And if one does come along, it better not be set in this alt timeline with that horrible new "constition class" ship :D

Great idea, along the lines of the wire. Each different season another aspect of Baltimore city, or in this case another aspect of the galaxy.

oxygen wrote: »
    Great idea, along the lines of the wire. Each different season another aspect of Baltimore city, or in this case another aspect of the galaxy.

Exactly, and every so often they all link together to form an arc. A couple of episodes in the old Ubsidian Order would have been class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Ive always said something like that - our limits style have every episode in a different time/place with different actors because it would be very cheap not having to pay increases in actors wages as the seasons go on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

It is a nice idea this 'Wire' style approach but the story would have to be something new. You couldn't just have a new series based around events from past seasons of DS9. It would be boring knowing how everything eventually works out.

It is a nice idea this 'Wire' style approach but the story would have to be something new. You couldn't just have a new series based around events from past seasons of DS9. It would be boring knowing how everything eventually works out.

No I think a new series post DS9, with multiple story arcs from multiple sources, would be just what the show needs. The re-building after the Dominion War, the aftermath of Voyagers return (story wise, not character wise), the repucussions of the Reman uprise, the re-building of Cardassia, the reforms and struggles of Martok, there are ENDLESS amounts of arcs that past shows have left us to explore....just DONT add big fat nacelles to anything :D

Not to get off the wire format tv show, which I think is a great idea.

But its a shame they went with Enterprise instead of the Sulu captain of USS Excelsior the fans were cyring out for.

But its a shame they went with Enterprise instead of the Sulu captain of USS Excelsior the fans were cyring out for.

That would have been interesting too, and Excelsior is one ship I would NOT get sick of looking at on screen.

Was Takei up for that role? Was he even approched?

• Advertisement

That would have been interesting too, and Excelsior is one ship I would NOT get sick of looking at on screen.

Was Takei up for that role? Was he even approched?

Was he wha? He was up for it in a big way. Paramount froze up however and stopped listening to fans. There was some talk of George not having the acting chops for the role of captain, (as opposed to Archer like)

But yea, there was a massive fan petition, lead by George Takei. I dont think he was ever offered anything tho. Looking for a half decent link. He talks about it here in paragraph 2

http://www.trekweb.com/stories.php?aid=47547144ec36f&cid=4754abbeea6bd&threadView=2&clickReply=1&submit=submit

I had no idea the campaign was that big. Fair play to Takei, when you hear the likes of Beltram making a mockery of things it changes your perception of those characters.

Had Takei the acting prowess to "captain" a show? - well not as we know him, but thats only because there was a serious lack of develpment for the character. Ive no doubt after a season or two, it would have made for some seriously good Trek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭scanlas

I'd also like to see more of the alpha quadrant explored, I think less than 5 percent of it has been explored so far in star trek. They could introduce another huge super power like the dominion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

no that cant be right - there is no 100% offical cannon map

but earth is on the border of the alpha and beta quadrents abut 10-15? thousand light years from the edge of our galazy.

looking top down the klingons and the romualns are to the right - but the klingons are also above - they dont extend as far into beta as the romulans do.

Beta quadrent is truly unknown. There is allot on the other side of the klingon empire - a good 10 thousand light years between their space and the border with the delta quadrent - (yet somehow in voyager thre was a federation ship there AND it was also somehow near the netrul zone.)

There is no "true" map. You got your 5% from piccards line that federation is spread accross about 8000 light years. Romulans and klingon empires together would not occupy that. Cardassian empire is small. Id say the klingons romulans federation cardassion breen Tholians Gorn ect collectivally have explored 1/3rd of the alpha and b eta quadrents.

I said in a post a few years ago the only way to have another power like the dominion is have them based on the other side of the romulan empire - to the far right of the beta quadrent because

its been established the dominion controll allot of the gamma quadrent although their space is several light years from the exit point of the bajoran wormhole

Voyagers path was straight through the centre of delta so there could be a major races say on the border of the delta/gamma quadrent (more less 60 or 70 thousand light years opposite earth)

that was a fun ramble - did it mke aany sence? - sorry for the bad spelling im in a rush

Agreed, I dont think introducing a new Alpha Quadrant race would be plausable. It would have to be Beta Quadrant, and that would mean the far side of the Klingon/Romlan empires, so direct Starfleet contact is unlikely.

The Breen were never really delved into, so thats one possibility of a couple of new shows. Then again, if Transwarp/Slipstream technology was developed, it would bring a new chapter of the exploration facet to the light, but then again, wouldnt that just be Voyager in reverse....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I think it would be cool if they expanded the universe to other galaxies, the star trek galaxy feels saturated with alien races. I would also like it if it were set maybe 100-200 years in the future and a completely upheaval for the fed, it may not even exist properly. The reason for this is that I think that the 24th century has been fully explored, any continuation of it would just be meh, another star trek series where everything is beige and perfect. I would like to see the positivity which characterizes trek so well kept in place but a shaking up of the status quo would be in order. In addition I would not like to see a prequel alt universe series though thats what we'll probably get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭scanlas

Agreed, I dont think introducing a new Alpha Quadrant race would be plausable. It would have to be Beta Quadrant, and that would mean the far side of the Klingon/Romlan empires, so direct Starfleet contact is unlikely.

The Breen were never really delved into, so thats one possibility of a couple of new shows. Then again, if Transwarp/Slipstream technology was developed, it would bring a new chapter of the exploration facet to the light, but then again, wouldnt that just be Voyager in reverse....

Well according to this map there is quite a bit of unexplored territory.

chart212e.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

There will never be a non-human centric show, so no klingon or romulan based series, even as part of a miniseries.

In all likelyhood I'd say we'll get a starfleet academy type series if anything. I've been expecting an announcement ever since Voyager finnished. They could set it in any time period as it's always essentially the same (Golden Gate bridge in the background with shuttles flying around, etc...).

I just hope we don't get Wesley Crusher 90210

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

It would be different though. "In the future five young people enrol in starfleet academy. They're all nerds. This season watch in wonder as they solve problems which baffle qualified engineers, pass tests with flying colours, and are always on their best behaviour. Startrek, The Wesley Crusher Years."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭cable842

the sulu show would have been amazin. and havin guest parts for the original cast.

my favourite ship was the excelsior

• Advertisement
Advertisement