Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safeassign: straw poll

Options
  • 16-09-2009 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Some of you may have noticed a new "feature" on blackboard ths year with the introduction of safeassign. It is mandatory for the course I am enrolled in and I was just wondering how many other courses/modules have this requirement. The academic staff are claiming that it will take up to 24 hrs for the program to process a paper for plagiarism; however this will obviously be dependent upon the number of students using the system.
    So a quick straw poll to see how many students are obliged to submit their assignments through this system?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Anibal5

This isn't a new feature. UCD has had it for quite some time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 colsmiff

So if it has been around for some time, why has it only just been introduced to our course? The real question I am really trying to ask is: do all students have to submit their work thorugh this system or is it just restricted to those courses where plagiarism is suspected?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

I thought lecturers have put it through this or a similar system themselves anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

Most of my modules used this last year. And even then it wasn't a new system.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭taz70

Plagiarism is suspected in all courses!! But it depends on the lecturer how they want to detect it, I guess. We've had this system in all modules for ages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Zuffer

I'm not sure what you're asking? Doing philosophy last year, some modules used it, some didn't. It's just an extra tool in the war against plagiarism. The stance on plagiarism hasn't changed. It didn't change the deadline for any of my essays (i.e. I didn't have to get them in a day earlier). So I don't see what relevance the time the application takes to do it's work has. It'll still take weeks to get essays back!

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

I dont see what youre problem is? its literally a program that will detect if youve plagiarised, youre only fooling yourself if you do anyway so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Used it in second and third year. One time it said my essay was 17% plagarised before when it was not at all.. I wonder what the margin of error is for quotations and citations as it can't pick them up really.

Advertisement