Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Criminal Record?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Myself and my car were searched 4 or 5 times when I was younger. All were at a checkpoint where AGS were checking insurance/tax discs. Although all my paticulars were in order they thought they should ransack the car anyway...the last time I got annoyed and asked why they were searching me, was told that if I've nothing to hide then whats my problem :rolleyes:.....ah sure then let me pull your spare wheel and dashboard apart garda!

Nice guy always - fair play for acting lawfully in your job.

As I said I dont know many who do. Im sure it happens but show me a job where everyone is a saint and follows the rules to the T. Every group has their flaws and my aim here is to make sure people dont think were all the same as the small few langers in AGS who do let us down. With 14,000 or more members there will always be a few:).

With thousands of registered users and guests on boards there must be a few langers in here too:p

(*sorry for off topic rant*)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭McCrack

cushtac wrote: »
    Where did I say they had the power to stop anyone at will? At least quote me correctly.

You said "He does not have to give his consent to the search, Gardaí have the right to stop & search vehicles for drugs"

Gardai do not have the right to stop vehicles or persons for drugs simpliciter.

Gardai as per S23 MDA 1977 can search a vehicle only if they have reasonable cause to suspect that that vehicle or persons in it are in possession of drugs.

There's a difference and with respect you probably didn't mean literally but that's the way it reads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

McCrack wrote: »
    You said "He does not have to give his consent to the search, Gardaí have the right to stop & search vehicles for drugs"

Gardai do not have the right to stop vehicles or persons for drugs simpliciter.

Gardai as per S23 MDA 1977 can search a vehicle only if they have reasonable cause to suspect that that vehicle or persons in it are in possession of drugs.

There's a difference and with respect you probably didn't mean literally but that's the way it reads.

I know the legislation. I never mentioned anything about simplicitor or at will, I merely stated that Gardaí had the right to search vehicles and did not need the consent of the driver.

Read it how you like, but that's not what I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Cróga

I know the legislation. I never mentioned anything about simplicitor or at will, I merely stated that Gardaí had the right to search vehicles and did not need the consent of the driver.

Read it how you like, but that's not what I said.

Of course they have, that's if your car is registered and you have a license to drive, displaying the corporation/legal fiction known as Republic of Ireland's registration number plates and then handing "your" (really its theirs) driving license to the Gardai - you just have confirmed you're a person, the person which is subject to the Misuse of Drugs Act. This is the consent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Croga, I honestly have to say your posts bring a smile and laugh even when im in the worst of humor. Keep it up!:pac:

• Advertisement

Croga wrote: »
    Of course they have, that's if your car is registered and you have a license to drive, displaying the corporation/legal fiction known as Republic of Ireland's registration number plates and then handing "your" (really its theirs) driving license to the Gardai - you just have confirmed you're a person, the person which is subject to the Misuse of Drugs Act. This is the consent.

You don't need to carry a licence to prove that you're a person, it's generally taken for granted :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

You should gather your thoughts.

You don't need to carry a licence to prove that you're a person, it's generally taken for granted :rolleyes:

Incorrect, are you aware that the word person in legal land is different to the word person in common english? A person in legal land is a corporation. If you have a berth certificate and you use the name on it then you are using a government created entity for which only their statutes can apply to.

murrayp4 wrote: »
    You should gather your thoughts.

You should realise who you are.

Incorrect, are you aware that the word person in legal land is different to the word person in common english? A person in legal land is a corporation. If you have a berth certificate and you use the name on it then you are using a government created entity for which only their statutes can apply to.

So should we burn our birth certs and take new names?

• Advertisement
Advertisement