Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving abroad while disqualified?

Options
  • 16-09-2009 1:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hello all. I'm looking for some advice as to whether or not it is possible to drive abroad using a rental car while disqualified in Ireland?

I have about 6 months left to run on a driving ban imposed some time ago, although I still have my license without endorsements, as I never received any notification from the courts to surrender it. I am traveling to Chicago next week on business and need to rent a car for a day and I'm wondering if I'll run into any difficulty in doing so?

In other words, I'd like to know whether or not the driving ban is just in this country or is it an international ban, and is it likely that US car rental companies/police will have ready access to my record here in Ireland?

Any advice/discussion greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

Spencer39 wrote: »
    Hello all. I'm looking for some advice as to whether or not it is possible to drive abroad using a rental car while disqualified in Ireland?

I have about 6 months left to run on a driving ban imposed some time ago, although I still have my license without endorsements, as I never received any notification from the courts to surrender it. I am traveling to Chicago next week on business and need to rent a car for a day and I'm wondering if I'll run into any difficulty in doing so?

In other words, I'd like to know whether or not the driving ban is just in this country or is it an international ban, and is it likely that US car rental companies/police will have ready access to my record here in Ireland?

Any advice/discussion greatly appreciated.

I am not going to offer you advice but i will say that the AA are happy to furnish you with an international driving licence. While it cannot place your regular driving licence it is universally accepted and should see you through.

You will have provide a copy (photocopy) of you present license but is quite over the counter so you would probably be able to get one. Go for it burn some rubber.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

I would not listen to the poster above, especially their last remark. I'd imagine you will be contravening many of the clauses of the insurance and rental if you did so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Spencer39

Thanks-that's what I was thinking, although the only thing I'm worried about is having a smack or damaging the car or something (which I've never done before in years of driving), and having them come down on me like a ton of bricks for not having a 'valid' driving license even though to the naked eye I do...not keen on being a small Irish fella in an American prison...

Jev/N wrote: »
    I would not listen to the poster above, especially their last remark. I'd imagine you will be contravening many of the clauses of the insurance and rental if you did so

I didn't offer any advice in my post if i remember. If this horse is desperate enough to go abroad and drive on a banned driving international driving licence ( remember the provisonal is domestic) , then he is desperate enough to get an international driving licence which would get him out of alot of trouble in a minor incident. He knows the risks why do you think he is banned.
    Thanks-that's what I was thinking, although the only thing I'm worried about is having a smack or damaging the car or something (which I've never done before in years of driving), and having them come down on me like a ton of bricks for not having a 'valid' driving license even though to the naked eye I do...not keen on being a small Irish fella in an American prison...

Incidentally you could do this in europe without breaching the insurance clause due to an eu directive on the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

What were you banned for?

• Advertisement

To be honest, I'm starting to think it's not worth the risk....how would an international driving license differ from my Irish license? Surely it would be mandated to the same record system? I'm not desperate btw-I'm just trying to see whether the risk is minor enough to be worth taking...

I was banned for a dui-got bagged the morning after a wedding and was slightly over the limit...(Cue stampede of moral high-horses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

I won't get on any high-horses at all, don't worry.

I dunno where pirelli is getting his/her info on this but my understanding is that you need a full, valid licence to drive anywhere in Europe and you need same when applying for an International Driving Permit.

I was banned for a dui-got bagged the morning after a wedding and was slightly over the limit...(Cue stampede of moral high-horses)

Its 2am I doubt any right minded busy body is about.If anyone was around this thread possibly would be closed already.

The morning after a wedding is understandable but how do you get caught going to work or in the morning for that matter, i have never been stopped going to work bar just one time. You had a very unlucky morning. If your that unlucky you might just have to go with a bicycle or something.

Yeah-true, and I'm sure I would be in breach of one or more of the clauses of whatever contract I'd have to sign, but my situation is unique in that I still have my license (not having received a request to surrender it), so I'm wondering if I should just wing it for a day....

I'm pretty sure that Avis/Budget or whoever at Chicago airport aren't going to have any reason to run a check comprehensive enough to uncover my Irish indiscretion, and even if the cops did pull me for something, I doubt that they'd do it either. Still probably won't risk it though, unless I hear someone say that the penalty if caught wouldn't be too severe...

• Advertisement

Jev/N wrote: »
    I won't get on any high-horses at all, don't worry.

I dunno where pirelli is getting his/her info on this but my understanding is that you need a full, valid licence to drive anywhere in Europe and you need same when applying for an International Driving Permit.

Of course you need a full driving license, but as for being insured its different. If your caught you will get prosecuted for something but you wont be prosecuted for driving without insurance due to a clause in the contract. There is a EU directive that addresses this particular issue so in europe if you were involved in a crash your insurance through the rental would be valid.

You could go back over in 6 months to the USA and drive then which would be a better idea and more rewarding. you would lose your vise rights if they do catch ya.

P.S I hope it was true love.

pirelli wrote: »
    Of course you need a full driving license, but as for being insured its different. If your caught you will get prosecuted for something but you wont be prosecuted for driving without insurance due to a clause in the contract. There is a EU directive that addresses this particular issue so in europe if you were involved in a crash your insurance through the rental would be valid.

You could go back over in 6 months to the USA and drive then which would be a better idea and more rewarding. you would lose your vise rights if they do catch ya.

P.S I hope it was true love.

True-messing with the possibility of not being let back into the states is not something I want to do...gonna be a real pain in the ass (due to the nature of my work), but I guess I'll be taxi bound next week..

Advertisement