Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Educating Teachers

Options
  • 16-09-2009 2:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

I was just thinking there back to when I was school and how almost all my teachers displayed complete ignorance about my speech problem- nobody ever talked to me about it, and some teachers persistently asked me to read out loud despite the fact that most days I would have problems doing that- most of you will know what I mean I think.

So I'm thinking is there any education with regards speech problems when teachers do their h.dip or teacher practice? Does it feature in any of their modules?

Going on my experiences I will say that it was the more empathetic teachers who didn't get me to read all the time, and it was the one nasty piece of work who bullied me over it, and the rest who ignored it completely!

Anyone know what education exists for teachers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

Haven't a clue how teachers are trained to deal with children who stammer!!!
    I think parents have a big part to play...from my knowledge from a friend who works in a nursey some parents can be a bit ashamed of the fact or tend to ignore the fact their child has a stammer!!! Some are even afraid to admit to teachers or classroom assistants that their child is having speech therapy!!! This is understandable kinda as most parents want their kids to be just like every other kid and to be able to speak freely!!!
    If any children are getting speech therapy...then the parent should inform the teacher of the type of therapy they are getting....the parent should also pass on advice from the speech therapist to the teacher!!! If the therapist is any good they will specifically give the parent information/tips to be passed on to teachers and classroom assistants to help ease the daily stress stammering pupils may be under!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

That's another thing I will try to find out. I really think teachers should be counselled on this issue. Only a small amount of people have the empathetic skills naturally, this applies to teachers too of course, and most would need training in this regard, otherwise they are clueless in knowing how to help. And it's not their fault, but if adults had the empathetic part of their brain more developed it would be so much easier on students.

Another thing about therapy- do speech therapists focus much on one's confidence, social skills, etc. nowadays? Okay so I was very young but I went to one when I was 6 or 7, and the idiot was holding up pictures of fruits, and asking me to say them out loud. Even then I knew the methods were ****! I am actually laughing at it now. My mother was there with me and she even said I was treated more like I had learning problems when that clearly wasn't my problem.

For adults I would recommend reading positive thinking books. Seriously- negative and rigid self-reinforcing thoughts will be ultimately what stops one from recovering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Charlie_Boswell

Paul4As wrote: »
    Haven't a clue how teachers are trained to deal with children who stammer!!!
    I think parents have a big part to play...from my knowledge from a friend who works in a nursey some parents can be a bit ashamed of the fact or tend to ignore the fact their child has a stammer!!! Some are even afraid to admit to teachers or classroom assistants that their child is having speech therapy!!! This is understandable kinda as most parents want their kids to be just like every other kid and to be able to speak freely!!!
    If any children are getting speech therapy...then the parent should inform the teacher of the type of therapy they are getting....the parent should also pass on advice from the speech therapist to the teacher!!! If the therapist is any good they will specifically give the parent information/tips to be passed on to teachers and classroom assistants to help ease the daily stress stammering pupils may be under!!!

Hi Paul,
    I think you are spot on with what you say about the role that parents play in supporting their child if they develop a stammer. I'm now in my thirties and it is only in the last two years that I have begun to talk to my parent about my stammer (or vice-versa:confused: ) and for years they choose to do "nothing while Rome burned" Then again my teachers throughout my school years were just as useless a shower.

If parents or teachers today truly think that "it will go away" without intervention they should be dragged outside now..and given a good kicking.

Speaking as a parent and a person with a stammer I can say that for any parents reading this the key is not to panic! but get educated, learn as much as you can about your child's stammer and how best to deal with it...Get advice, then get some more advice. There is no one best approach and although I think that the training for teachers has probably improved over the years I would have no hesitation in telling a teacher how you want them to approach your child's stammer, if they refuse or do not comply with your wishes...Well I know what I'd be doing.:eek:

Charlie

There is no one best approach and although I think that the training for teachers has probably improved over the years I would have no hesitation in telling a teacher how you want them to approach your child's stammer, if they refuse or do not comply with your wishes...Well I know what I'd be doing.:eek:

Charlie

That would be great Charlie and no doubt if the parent was to contact the principal or the individual teachers they would be more than helpful in most cases.

But what I worry about is that there are so many teachers involved that each child/student has, that it really calls for teachers to be educated on how to approach this issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Charlie_Boswell

pog it wrote: »

For adults I would recommend reading positive thinking books. Seriously- negative and rigid self-reinforcing thoughts will be ultimately what stops one from recovering.

Agreed Pog! I'm a firm believer not so much in "positive thinking" per say but more about understanding how and why we think what we think. From my personal experience I would recommend Stephen Covey and everything Anthony Robbins as a great place to start. (start with Covey)

Other stuff I have read/listened to include NLP and relaxation techniques.

Charlie

• Advertisement

http://ezinearticles.com/?Studder,-Stutter,-Stammer-And-Clutter&id=688750

I think this article is about Stephen? It has links to other websites of his.

Advertisement