Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner/Intermediate Board help

Options
  • 16-09-2009 3:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

WooHoo, another "What board" thread! I've been surfing a while now and I'm starting to see a noticeable improvement. I'm currently using a Bic 7'9" and can catch most waves and turn along them. Unfortunately, I'm finding it a bit difficult to maneuver and I feel that my limited abilities are getting a bit beyond it, plus it's only a loaner from a mate so I'm looking to buy my own board.

I'm 5'10" and 165lbs. Usual spot is Inch, Kerry. I'm looking for an epoxy/fiberglass board but am unsure as to what length etc I should go for? I'd like something that won't limit me as my skills hopefully continue to develop. Any and all advice welcome, preferably with links as to where I can purchase them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

Go fibreglass as they work better in larger waves and are over all better surfboards, they take alot of caring for. I have access to a few different sized epoxy surfboards and can probably let you test out a few if you like so you can figure out what a good size is for you, no charge of course, im based in waterford and we have surf here tuesday yipeee :D

Let me know what you think. Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

The bic boards from my experience are a bit heavier than some other epoxy ones and are hard enough to turn.If its your first board I'd avoid fibre glass as you have to be really careful or you'll end up spending a fortune getting it fixed up.Maybe try a 7 6 board and you'll find the turning easier and stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Zeroman_IR

I find the Bic really heavy and a bit of a boat to turn. Granted, a lot of this is due to my lack of skill at the moment. I do feel though that a lighter board would help me to progress faster as this is a bit of a sticking point for me at the moment. I realise I'm probably better off calling to Tubes in Cork and buying there but I'm back to college next week so won't have much of a chance from then on. Plus the funds will start dwindling :D

Nick, thanks for the offer but unfortunately I'm back in college next week so won't be able to make it. Plus I suck so badly you'd probably stop me after I tried your first board :o

So to reiterate, a light board that I won't outgrow in 6 months but which won't frustrate me endlessly now (I'm not asking for much I know...) I'm never gonna be the next Kelly Slater, too old and my main sport is MTBing. Only been surfing about 4 months now with a mate (the aforementioned board loaner) who is mainly a kitesurfer so isn't much better of a surfer. Just looking to get to a level where I can have fun (competently) and as a way to maintain upper body strength (sick of the gym) to complement my MTBing.

I've had this board recommended as being suitable for my needs/wants/skill level (from what that seller has available). Does anybody have an opinion on this? I can't find any info on these boards online either, does anybody have any experience of Summersurf brand boards? Thanks.

wouldn't go for a 6 10 if you're only starting off reckon come down to a 7 6 and you'll notice a sifference in controling it.Also haven't heard great things about those boards.Was a thread on them on another website a while ago, few people not overly happy with them but can't talk from experience myself.For the same price I'm sure you'd pick up another similar board in Ireland.I think Circle 1 are great boards for the price.Think a few stores around Ireland sell them, failing that I think kingofwatersports sell them too.

• Advertisement

Equally, I've seen a few posts mention that the Circle One boards aren't any good :p Bloody internet! I take it you mean a board like this? I'm a little concerned that if I'm starting to outgrow the 7'9" that there won't be enough of a difference as I won't have money for a new board again until next Summer.

Is there really that much of a difference in dropping 3 inches and changing from plastic to epoxy?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Zeroman_IR wrote: »
    I'm finding it a bit difficult to maneuver and I feel that my limited abilities are getting a bit beyond it,

I thought the same so I purchased a fibreglass Powersource 7'3 and it is way more responsive, and easier to get out back. However, the more I have progressed the more I go back to the Bic, and without doubt I have caught much better waves on the Bic.
    I found that the bic is limited more by my own abilities than by its own. Guarantee you if Kelly Slater was on a Bic he'd still be carving.
    Good luck with the choice though. It's always good to try as many different boards as you can and to be aiming to improve.

What model Powersource did you get? I'm a little hesitant to go custom at this stage as my abilities really aren't up to it but I'm open to considering anything :D

And Meatwad, any chance you can remember where you saw that thread on Summerssurf boards as I can't find anything on them? Thanks.

I think it was on irishsurfers.com, just went on there and tried the search engine but it didn't turn up anything so might be in another thread.I remember seeing that guys site a few months back when I was looking for another board and thought that the stuff looked decent enough, but when I looked into it myself I found a few people saying that the boards weren't great and I think a few people that do ding repairs said that they got a lot of that type board coming in badly damaged, so I went with a different board.
    Now as some one said already, you'll always find different stories about every brand, so its always a bit of a gamble going with a brand that you're not too familiar with, with out having a go on them first.I have a few different boards between myself and the wife, she got a 9" circle one there a month ago and she loves it.Haven't had a go on it myself but from carrying it down to the beech, it seems light enough for the size and she seems to be able to turn and stuff on it and all.
    I wouldn't rule out going custom, I plan to get a custom board over the next few months myself.Originally I heard it would cost a fortune but from initial scouting around it seems that depending on the design and stuff it could work out only slightly dearer than buying a board out of a shop(mainly cause I might end up getting a custom paint job on it).There are a few shapers on the site you should have a chat with some of them and see if they can do anything for you.

That sounds fair enough, they do sound like more trouble than they'd be worth.

I'll give a mosey around, see if I can scare up a few shapers and see their opinions while I'm at it. I know there's apparently a fella near me in Millstreet (I live in the Killarney area myself) but he mainly does longboards I hear.

Thanks for your help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

http://www.powersourcesurfboards.com/bigfish.htm

Sorry, its a 7' not a 7'3. A fun board.

Thanks, I've shot him an email, going to wait and see what he gets back to me with.

What about Westbay boards? Their Hybrid/Slayer boards seem pretty close to what I'm looking for based on the suggestions I've received so far and look to be keenly priced. Plus they don't seem to come in for as much abuse as my other suggestions :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Thanks, I've shot him an email, going to wait and see what he gets back to me with.

What about Westbay boards? Their Hybrid/Slayer boards seem pretty close to what I'm looking for based on the suggestions I've received so far and look to be keenly priced. Plus they don't seem to come in for as much abuse as my other suggestions :D

i too use a bic 7ft 9, and am hoping to go for a westbay 7ft 6 hybrid. I'm an oldie though, so no fancy stuff for this 32 yr old... :o:(

actually, is there much difference between, say, a 7ft 6 hybrid and a 7 ft 6 slayer?

Old? I'm 27 myself, though I feel about 5 years older after seeing that post :D

I emailed them about a board and he seems equally dubious about my chances on a 7'4" Hybrid or Slayer :o Whether that means they're about equivalent in similar sizes or not I don't know, read into it what you will. He recommended a 7'6" Hybrid to me though and I think that's what I'm going to go for.

Keep it coming folks. This discussion has been a great help to me so far in making a choice. Left to my own devices I'd have ended up with something totally unsuitable :confused:

Does anybody on here know where I can find reviews of his boards? Any owners on here want to tell us about their opinions of the boards? I can't find much on them, but nobody seems to be slating them either. seachto7, what made you decide that you want a Westbay next? Where did you get the information that helped you decide?

.... seachto7, what made you decide that you want a Westbay next? Where did you get the information that helped you decide?

I was looking around at boards, and came across the hybrid, which in theory would sound like exactly what I am looking for. So I emailed him and told him my level, my stats, what I could and couldn't do and he recommended a hybrid. I am wondering is it just the shape of the Slayer that's slightly different, a pointier nose. I was thinking of a 7ft 6 hybrid with maybe the same width that my 7ft 9 Bic mal has at the moment. I do notice the Bics seem hard to turn, but I'm going to wait a bit longer until I get really handy on the Bic, then go treat myself, if funds allow.
    The Westbays seem reasonable for the money too, you're getting a custom board. I'd be interested to find out if there are any SLayer owners on here. There might be some over on irishsurfer....

Did a search on there too, got very little in the way of results though. I'd stick with the bic myself, but I won't have access to it in another few weeks so have to get a board if I want to keep surfing.

The Slayer has a different tail too and looks to have more of a shortboard feel about it. It seems to be a variant on a fish from my limited knowledge. I'd like to think I could manage one but suspect it would just frustrate me in all but perfect conditions. Thanks for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

Hi lads

I own a Slayer. I got it in april this year. Its a 6'10.

Im just under 6 foot tall and weigh about 12 and a half stone. My first board was a 7'2 NSP mini mal. I had my first board for about a year and a half and felt it was time to move on. I wanted to go for something with plenty of float but with some shortboard characteristics, a fatboy flyer type board, so i chose the Slayer. A large factor was also the price... 299 pounds (about 330 euro at the time) which included free delivery to Limerick and he even threw in some wax and a leash. Richard shaped it for me and he was an absolute gent to deal with, he had some good advice which i took on board.

I thought i would find it very tricky for a while but the first time i took it out i caught a good few waves (nothing outstanding but i was happy to get standing and trimming a wave on my first go with it!) and i was surprised at how i managed it. Unfortunately over the summer i havent got to use it much coz i hurt my knee and couldnt surf for ages there so im still getting the hang of it. I find it so much more manouverable compared to the NSP, a lot looser. This can be tricky to get used to sometimes though coz its a lot more unstable compared to the minimal.

I still use the minimal a lot on the small days but ive had the slayer out recently again and ts going well but it takes a bit more work for sure; paddling and the type of waves you can go for. Like all shortboards it doesnt like a mushy wave but rather a nice clean face for takeoff and as you knw those type of waves arent always on offer in ireland! Now with winter coming in ill hopefully be using it all the time.

All in all i really like it and it feels good but i need to use it a lot more to get the proper hang of it as ive been switching back and forth between it and the NSP over the summer. That hybrid board looks decent aswell and you cant go wrong at that price for a new board. Id probably go with what Richard is advising you, he seemed pretty screwed on when i was emailing him.

Good luck mate :)

Only been surfing about 4 months now with a mate
    just read the thread again fully. I suppose it depends how often you surfed in the 4 months but i would say if your only at it 4 months then go for the hybrid and not the slayer man. Just my 2 cents, what do the rest of ye think??

That pretty much ties in with what he said to me. He said I might just about manage a 7'4" Slayer, but that at my level, I'd need perfect conditions and waves to have fun on it. Similarly the same length Hybrid, though he seemed to have even more reservations about my chances with that. His advice was that he would be happier if I went for a 7'6" Hybrid.

So we have at least one happy Westbay owner :D Any others want to post?

after reading the last few posts about the Slayer, I reckon I'll probably defo go for a hybrid in the future. As you say, if you need good clean waves, then it might frustrate me, as I only get down to the sea once a week and would rather catch mushy waves as well as clean ones.

I'd go for a 7ft 6 hybrid, but what width/depth etc is another thing...

I could sell the 7ft 9, and get me a longboard for the small days...

ah, in theory in theory...

• Advertisement

Just to clarify, I don't mean to suggest that his board needs clean waves to work, but that my level of ability would mean the board was beyond me except in those conditions. A decent surfer could manage fine on one I'm sure.

Went to Castlegregory this evening, 4.5m waves forecast and they turned out in force. Didn't catch many waves, but delighted with how my paddling has improved. Made it out a few times despite having to take repeated sets of massive waves on the head. Terrifying out there though, we were like dogs that had spent our lives chasing car wheels suddenly confronted with a convoy of 18 wheelers, we knew we were out of our league but the temptation was too great. Got properly worked once, got a good long hold down. Lesson learnt I think :D Leave the big waves to the good surfers.

4.5m waves forecast and they turned out in force

4.5 metre waves?!! surely not, 4.5 feet maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ConorLovesYou

Decos wrote: »
    4.5 metre waves?!! surely not, 4.5 feet maybe?

I just created this account to backup the 4.5 metre story, I got a call from 'Zeroman_IR' lastnight, he was all bent out of shape because after risking his life paddling out into the waves (my idea) with myself he had been dismissed as making it up online.
    They were forecast as 4.6 metre on windguru and usually they're never that high in reality on the break but I wiped out on what must have been (conservatively) at least a 3 metre plus bastard. Opened my eyes under water at one stage in an effort to see which way was up and it was black dark. I do a fair bit of kitesurfing in waves and scuba diving so I know when a wave is big and also when I'm deep underwater. Scared the bejaysis out of me and ended that session.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭conman78

Can't recommend Westbay enough...started surfing bout 4 years ago on a differents co's 7'6" Funboard...same as the Hybrid...sold it then bought a 9'1 Longboard and 6'6" Slayer from Richard in Westbay..

Used the Slayer most the summer, on beaches and reefs..easy paddling, makes duck diving far easier too. With regard to catching waves, had no probs at all. Has plenty of speed to get you into the right area of the waves and can get you out of the more hollow impact areas..

Not much difference in getting a 7'6 v your 7'9 BIC. How much better you want to get and how often you gonna go surfing? If not too much stick with your BIC til much better, if your good enough you wont have probs turning...If gonna go regularly, defo recommend a WESTBAY...just a 7'6" you might grow out of it pretty quick though!!

(i think thats enough mixed and contradictory information for anyone!)

I got a call from 'Zeroman_IR' lastnight, he was all bent out of shape

Thanks Conor :rolleyes: Big help.

conman78 wrote: »
    Not much difference in getting a 7'6 v your 7'9 BIC. How much better you want to get and how often you gonna go surfing? If not too much stick with your BIC til much better, if your good enough you wont have probs turning...If gonna go regularly, defo recommend a WESTBAY...just a 7'6" you might grow out of it pretty quick though!!

I asked Richard about getting a 7'4" Hybrid in our correspondence and he said that he would recommend the 7'6" coming off the Bic as I'll lose quite a bit of stability with the pointed nose on the Hybrid versus the rounded nose on the Bic.

What do people think about this?

I'd agree, I'd say the pointer head on the hybrid would make the world of difference..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭conman78

Fair point on the stability. Need to ask yourself though, how is your general core strength and balance?! If you skated (even playing rugby etc) or have done anything regularly where you need to have the two then the stability wont be as much an issue as you will naturally have adapted and know what it takes to maintain both balance and momentum instinctively. Even with that, its something you'll be used to within a session or two in the water.

If alright, go for the Hybrid..you'll have plenty of scope for progressing and type of waves you surf....cant argue with the Sterling Rate either at the moment.

yup, my balance would be grand, years of being a goal keeper and some rugby as well. The hybrid for me in the new year!!

what width etc are you going to choose?

Likewise, do a lot of MTBing, usually about 50-60 miles a week so fitness and balance are fine. Generally spend the winter/spring months in the gym twice a week too doing mainly weights so no worries on the strength side of things.

I've emailed him with my order, plus a final query about the 7'6" or 7'4" length. Not too sure on width yet, I'm leaving that up to him so waiting for him to get back to me. He said the pointed rather than full nose Hybrid would be better for me as I'm not a complete beginner. Exciting times :D Thanks to everybody on here that gave suggestions and brainstormed for me.

• Advertisement

I just created this account to backup the 4.5 metre story, I got a call from 'Zeroman_IR' lastnight, he was all bent out of shape because after risking his life paddling out into the waves (my idea) with myself he had been dismissed as making it up online.
    Ah now in fairness i wasnt saying he made it up! I was just wondering had he made a mistake with the feet vs metre coz a 4.5 metre wave is very very big and those predicted wave heights are always wildly incorrect. No mallice intended! :cool:
    They sound like crazy waves anway, was it really hard to get out the back?

Advertisement