Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jim Cornette released from TNA

• 16-09-2009 4:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭

Bad move from Dixie imo. Should have been Russo to get chopped with Jim to steady the ship. B.G James gone too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

For some reason, I always thought Jim Cornette was a Crockett, and part of the family behind Jim Crockett Promotions. It was only recently watching some wwe documentary (could've been the road warriors one, or the rise and fall of wcw) that i realised they didn't share the same name, and were probably not related at all.

Bad move by TNA though. Wasn't he a big factor in getting Matt Morgan pushed to the moon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Best talker the business has seen. Pity he was not used in an on screen role in recent times. Will WWE pick him up again? Or has he any interest in them since OVW was dropped as a feeder league?

Perhaps he can give ROH the shot in the arm it so dearly needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

gimmick wrote: »
    Best talker the business has seen. Pity he was not used in an on screen role in recent times. Will WWE pick him up again? Or has he any interest in them since OVW was dropped as a feeder league?

Perhaps he can give ROH the shot in the arm it so dearly needs.

I don't think he liked the travel aspect of working in WWE, so OVW was necessarily based where he was. He might get involved with FCW or whatever it is, I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Snakeblood wrote: »
    I don't think he liked the travel aspect of working in WWE, so OVW was necessarily based where he was. He might get involved with FCW or whatever it is, I suppose.

Jim Cornette has an intense hatred of Vince McMahon and has stated that he will never work for the WWE again also he doesn't fly so he has to make all his dates driving

Big loss to TNA as a brain and a mentor I thought he was going to be part of their creative process going forward,apparently not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I wouldn't be surprised to see Cornette on FCW or better still Hulkamania.

Always been curious about this but has Cornette ever been a succesful booker outside of his time in OVW. Has a great reputation but I've never actually been sure why

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

Source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

@ Bubs, I think you'v hit on an important point. He booked WCW for like 6 months in 1989 and was fairly unremarkable in the role. The most long term job he had as booker was Smoky mountain which you wouldn't class as anything more than a regional promotion. While the stuff I've seen and from what I've read about, SMW was pretty decent and Cornette did a good job booking what talent he had, it hardly qualifies him as this great booker that he seems to be praised universally for whenever hes mentioned.

I think sometimes people see his brilliance at verbally articulating his "opinions" on pro-wrestling and assume that hes a guy whos done it all at the top level in terms of booking. The truth of course is a little less flattering. One the all time great talkers and pro wrestling managers? Absolutely. One of the great bookers? Little or no track record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I've read some stuff that Meltzer wrote about Cornette's booking before. He said that Bret Hart credits a lot of his booking around 1997 to Cornette and there was something big in WCW too that I can't remember right now. Meltzer was praising him on that front anyway

OVW was really good when he booked it. I'd say that he'd go back there if he's going to get involved in any wrestling at all

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Eamo87

Bad move by TNA. Not suprised that let BG James go. Im suprised he was on the payroll for so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

He didn't get the kind of control that he should have to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Cactus Col wrote: »
    Wasn't he a big factor in getting Matt Morgan pushed to the moon?

him and angle i have heard

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

rossie1977 wrote: »
    him and angle i have heard

Dixie's apparently a fan aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Shaneomac

As far as I know all Jims booking revolves around things making sense for the audience and not insulting our intelligence e.g gimmick changes and face and heel turns. Keeping things simple is perhaps the best way of booking and this is what Jim excels at. Does anyone know much about SMW when it was in action?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

According to F4WOnline.com
    the TNA releases of Cornette and James are part of an apparent move to eliminate those who were closest to Jeff Jarrett. Previous examples include the recent releases of Dutch Mantell and Savio Vega.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Shaneomac

Apparently it wasnt a political move whatsoever but Jim repeatedly yelling at Russo over the push of Eric Young. I personally dont see anything wrong with pushing new talent regardless of size. I think he could have overreacted for sure.

Advertisement