Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opera Mini 5 Beta !!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

xanthor wrote: »
    I don't think i'm ever going to take to the keypad on this.
    Is there a way to turn it off and use the native touchscreen keypad?

Can't find a way to turn it off in the browser itself.
    Went into application settings (on an N97) and set the keyboard to off, it still pops up.

Thanks

Hmm...would love to help, but my n97 decided to take the day off... Nuddin, and software updater/pc suite no longer detect it... Ironic as I was gonna return it today anyways O-o but yeah, yesterday I didn't see an option to turn keyboard off, either. Remember: it's still in beta!!!

I'm sure there'll be more settings options in final version... It's also been confirmed that the real, yet secret, 'kick-ass feature' isn't even in it yet... So, touch wood :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

xanthor wrote: »
    I don't think i'm ever going to take to the keypad on this.
    Is there a way to turn it off and use the native touchscreen keypad?

Can't find a way to turn it off in the browser itself.
    Went into application settings (on an N97) and set the keyboard to off, it still pops up.

Thanks

On my 5800 changing the inline editing setting (details on a previous page) turned off the OM keyboard.

Couldn't find the carriage return key on it tbh ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

long_b wrote: »
    On my 5800 changing the inline editing setting (details on a previous page) turned off the OM keyboard.

Couldn't find the carriage return key on it tbh ! :)
    Starting to get freezes and stuff, turned off inline editing and it froze. Restarted and when i went to write something its stuck in the text entry. Sigh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

It would be handy if there was somewhere where these issues could be logged with Opera so everything can get sorted for the full release.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

It would be handy if there was somewhere where these issues could be logged with Opera so everything can get sorted for the full release.

Normally there is a Bug report wixard but not in this beta, however you can report any bug on opera mini forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Doomofman

Installed this but it's a pain to use... The poxy arrows down the bottom of the screen limit space on a touch screen... the keypad for entering an address is FAR too small to use quickly... I can't seem to delete a speed dial page either.... eugh frustrating

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Doomofman wrote: »
    Installed this but it's a pain to use... The poxy arrows down the bottom of the screen limit space on a touch screen...

There's a setting to autohide the address bar. This hides the address bar and arrows at the bottom. They're easy to get back as it leaves one icon .

There's a setting to autohide the address bar. This hides the address bar and arrows at the bottom. They're easy to get back as it leaves one icon .

I found that... no the arrows I'm referring to are the Java help arrows... can't get rid of them.. take up about a 6th of the screen... plus the tiny keyboard problem is a pain.. why can't it just use the phones built in text editing..

EDIT: Managed to turn off that horrible mini keyboard... just the java help arrows are the problem and the fact I cant delete a speed dial page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

You can clear or edit a speed dial by pressing and holding it for about 2 seconds. That's how it works on my N95 anyway.

Boxfresh wrote: »
    You can clear or edit a speed dial by pressing and holding it for about 2 seconds. That's how it works on my N95 anyway.

Cheers that worked thanks :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

It is slower than 4.2 for browsing etc . So may keep using 4.2 alot

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭rordeb

The pRevious version is magic on the BB Storm. Tried the new beta yesterday and was not very sure, but today I like slot more- would be wary of getting rid of the. Previous version

Just noticed they've added folders in Bookmarks :)

Anyone know how these guys make money on this ? I know they sometimes pop in bookmarks for what I'm guessing are sponsor sites, but I'm wondering if they get any money from the operators ?

I seem to remember some operator installing OM on some handsets ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I love it, but it'll take a bit of getting used to. One major problem I have with it is scrolling. On version 4, all I had to do on my N96 was press the joystick to the right to scroll it one full page at a time. On version 5 I have to keep my finger on the joystick pointing down and it takes ages. Any fixes for that?

I love it, but it'll take a bit of getting used to. One major problem I have with it is scrolling. On version 4, all I had to do on my N96 was press the joystick to the right to scroll it one full page at a time. On version 5 I have to keep my finger on the joystick pointing down and it takes ages. Any fixes for that?

You could try using numbers 2, 4, 6 and 8 on your keypad for browsing. It'll skip one page at a time.

I also find it that little bit slower than OM 4.2. Sometimes I can't scroll around the screen until the page is fully loaded. But it is only the beta version so there will be faults in it for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭paddy2k

been using opera mini for year now and OM5 is really looking great. jon hicks opera's new design guy spent months on the new ui when he joined. Just like everyone else found a few bugs but nothing too big.
    Opera Link should be back for the final and the kinetic scrolling should improve too, it's a bit jumpy on my w960 but the om download page said it wasn't totally compatible.
    The features i'm hopeing for are fingertouch used in Opera Mini 5 beta for UIQ it focus' on links that are close together Making them easier to press. Also geo location.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Just wondering I'm having trouble using T9, actually it won't work at all with 5, I could use it with 4 no problems, anyone get any suggestions?

BTW, I'm using it on a W705.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Gillo wrote: »
    Just wondering I'm having trouble using T9, actually it won't work at all with 5, I could use it with 4 no problems, anyone get any suggestions?

BTW, I'm using it on a W705.

Turn off the inline editing in the advanced settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I've removed this from my phone and got back to the old one.

The slow start up times and bloated feeling while using it has won out over the tabbed browsing.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Random wrote: »
    I've removed this from my phone and got back to the old one.

The slow start up times and bloated feeling while using it has won out over the tabbed browsing.
    Agreed. I still use 4.0 over 5.0.

• Advertisement

I've been using Opera Mini 5 on both a SE w910i and a w960.

On the w910 I've found it great, the UI is welcome refresh and the browser renders with the same speed as OM4 did.

However on the w960 which is touchscreen I've experienced the same laggyness. However fair dues to Opera they did warn me at download time that there were issues with OM5 on my device.

I do like the way the browser is going. I also use Opera Mobile 9.5 for UIQ and I really hope they bring some of it's features to Opera Mini e.g. smoother kinetic scrolling, finger touch (zooming in on the links near where the user presses) and better EMCA script support.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Unable to upload Files with 5 and on forum postings when trying to edit it shuts down.
    Have it for the Copy and Paste and for some awkward websites

Anyone know when the next beta is due?

paddy2k wrote: »
    Anyone know when the next beta is due?

Right now .... same location ..

Bookmark synching is back, and there's a download manager.

long_b wrote: »
    Right now .... same location ..

Bookmark synching is back, and there's a download manager.

I've started using Opera Mobile 10 which is even better and has more features. Anyone else use it?

Boxfresh wrote: »
    I've started using Opera Mobile 10 which is even better and has more features. Anyone else use it?

I used to use Opera Mobile 9.5 which was pretty good on my Sony Ericsson, but now I'm waiting for Opera to release Opera Mobile on Android.

Opera Mobile is intended to be used as the main browser on a device, but Opera Mini is just an additional browser. It doesn't hook into the underlying OS.
    Opera have been kind enough to explain the difference between Opera Mini 5 and Opera Mobile 10 http://url.ie/3ea1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

Does flash video sites like Megavideo work on Opera Mini?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Does flash video sites like Megavideo work on Opera Mini?
    unfortunately not

Now available for Android too.
    Have to say it's not as brilliant as the Java version, but still very decent.

Just go to http://mini.opera.com/next on your handset.

• Advertisement

Just to let you all know that the full and final versions of Opera Mobile 10 and Mini 5 are now available.

http://www.opera.com/mobile/

Advertisement