Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dissident Republicans vow to kill dealers...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

From the outside you see people with an identical name to other iterations of the IRA, made up of former members of PIRA, doing exactly what PIRA did.

How are we supposed to differentiate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Any chance we could get these vigilantes to believe that FF are dealing drugs ?

Mind you, if you think about it, FF probably aren't dealing; they're using them themselves.....that'd explain the delusion and feeling of victimisation and incompetence.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭bigdogbarking

Vigilantes!!!???
    Its a hell of a lot more than the boys in blue are doing , or are able to do. Lets face it, maybe we need a different approach to tackle drugs and drug dealers. The conventional way of letting the gardaí tackle the problem isn't exactly cleaning up the streets is it.
    All arguments about profits and putting the dealers out to make room for themselves aside, its a hell of a lot cheaper to bury 'em than to drag them through the judicial system and put them up in the justice departments chain of hotels and let them out after a year or two because poor johnny had a bad upbringing and he's been a good boy inside, oh and he's sqealing like a pig. you know how it works

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Its a hell of a lot more than the boys in blue are doing , or are able to do.
    So let's shoot people without arrest, trial, appeal, or anything resembling due process.

I can't think of a single flaw with this approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Who has been supplying bomb making knowhow to Dublin gangsters involved in the feud in Drimnagh ? Crude pipebombs but still bombs anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

Who has been supplying bomb making knowhow to Dublin gangsters involved in the feud in Drimnagh ? Crude pipebombs but still bombs anyway.

D'interweb. Or other Dublin scumbags. Dont think its rocket science either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Nature abhors a vaccum

The downturn and ensuing lack of employment will create a large number of young people who will get bored. This boredom will lead to exprimentation with crime and drugs.

The same key factors will also trigger a re-surgence in young men and older ones who long for some identity in a community. They become balaclava wearing idiots saying they will sort some problem everybody hates because they collectively have access to a rusty old .45 and three bullets.

The gardai will have less cash to resource the fight against both emerging trends and be powerless to stop it.

The only way to curb it is for everyone to take responsiblity for their own actions and avoid both trends and keep you and yours out of it.

Zambia232 wrote: »
    The downturn and ensuing lack of employment will create a large number of young people who will get bored. This boredom will lead to exprimentation with crime and drugs.

While unfortunately the above is partly true in some cases, I detest when people suggest that involvement in crime is down to boredom; the fact is that if kids were brought up properly, the vast majority of them wouldn't resort to crime no matter how bored they were.

I know it's politically incorrect to say this, but the fact is that no matter HOW bored I got while growing up, I never resorted to crime, and I can't be that exceptional.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Vigilanties that is laughable, these muppets have been trying to exhort protection money from the drug dealers of Cork and this is only another attempt at it. They are just a group of criminals threatening another group of criminals.

Pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    While unfortunately the above is partly true in some cases, I detest when people suggest that involvement in crime is down to boredom; the fact is that if kids were brought up properly, the vast majority of them wouldn't resort to crime no matter how bored they were.

I know it's politically incorrect to say this, but the fact is that no matter HOW bored I got while growing up, I never resorted to crime, and I can't be that exceptional.

Well done you. There is other factors as well , greed, envy, peer pressure , enviroment etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Buffy the bitch

It's great. People call for drug dealers to be killed then when somebody say they will start doing it people complain :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

It's great. People call for drug dealers to be killed then when somebody say they will start doing it people complain :rolleyes:

Who is calling for drug dealers to be killed? "People", if you take that to mean the majority of society, are calling for drug dealers to be arrested and have the book thrown at them in court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

people are calling for law and order, to most sane people it is a different thing entirely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

proper order in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭optocynic

People don't call for drug dealers to be killed.. (although we don't care that much when they are).. but we definitely don't want fenian toe-rags thinking they can be an urban savior to all us simple folk...

We all know they would just fill the vaccum themselves..

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Well done you. There is other factors as well , greed, envy, peer pressure , enviroment etc.

And my argument is that those are FAR more substantial than "boredom" (the original statement made) which DOESN'T lead to doing crime or doing drugs.

The biggest one, however, is a lack of ethics and common decency.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

gandalf wrote: »
    Vigilanties that is laughable, these muppets have been trying to exhort protection money from the drug dealers of Cork and this is only another attempt at it. They are just a group of criminals threatening another group of criminals.

Pathetic.

Who told you that? As I said earlier, much as ye'd like it to be the case, dissident Republican armed groups aren't necessarily motivated by personal gain. This notion of "taking out the competitors" is simply a pile of b*llocks to out it lightly.

OB,

Regarding that family (who is centred around the Fair Hill area of Cork), one of them recently was found with €20,000 worth of heroin and is on remand. That is why I was very confused when an Inspector told a community meeting in Knocknaheeny that there were no large heroin dealers in Cork, they peddled the same lie in Dublin during the mid-1990s when they said heroin was being sourced from London in small amounts.

optocynic wrote: »
    People don't call for drug dealers to be killed.. (although we don't care that much when they are).. but we definitely don't want fenian toe-rags thinking they can be an urban savior to all us simple folk...

We all know they would just fill the vaccum themselves..

The fact is that if someone selling heroin in Knocknaheeny or Gurranabraher was killed people in those areas would be delighted. Your assertion that the Real IRA are attempting to supply drugs in Cork demonstrates to me that you haven't the slightest clue what you're on about.
    fenian toe-rags

Who are you? Ian Paisley?

FTA69 wrote: »
    Who told you that? As I said earlier, much as ye'd like it to be the case, dissident Republican armed groups aren't necessarily motivated by personal gain. This notion of "taking out the competitors" is simply a pile of b*llocks to out it lightly.

OB,

Regarding that family (who is centred around the Fair Hill area of Cork), one of them recently was found with €20,000 worth of heroin and is on remand. That is why I was very confused when an Inspector told a community meeting in Knocknaheeny that there were no large heroin dealers in Cork, they peddled the same lie in Dublin during the mid-1990s when they said heroin was being sourced from London in small amounts.

So, your solution is to send out a rag-tag group of racist-xenophobic-anglophobes.. heavily armed with lybian weapons... to turn Cork into Baltimore?
    And what are your hopes?
    That the simple folk of Cork will all praise their new fenian militia, and carry them aloft their shoulders?...

How stupid do you think people are?

Who are you? Ian Paisley?

No... a Catholic with brains!

• Advertisement

So, your solution is to send out a rag-tag group of racist-xenophobic-anglophobes.. heavily armed with lybian weapons... to turn Cork into Baltimore?

Again lad, you obviously watch way too much f*ckin' telly. "Racist xenophobes"? I mean seriously, you haven't a clue what you're on about. You do realise that there's no such person as Omar Little as well don't you?
    That the simple folk of Cork will all praise their new fenian militia, and carry them aloft their shoulders?...

How stupid do you think people are?

My hopes? I don't support the Real IRA at all, but I do know that them shooting heroin dealers (if they do, they said they wouldn't be claiming any actions) will be immensely popular and perhaps may lead to them growing as an organisation in Cork.
    No... a Catholic with brains!

You wouldn't think that would be the case with the auld "fenian toe-rag" lark.

Again lad, you obviously watch way too much f*ckin' telly. "Racist xenophobes"? I mean seriously, you haven't a clue what you're on about. You do realise that there's no such person as Omar Little as well don't you?

My hopes? I don't support the Real IRA at all, but I do know that them shooting heroin dealers (if they do, they said they wouldn't be claiming any actions) will be immensely popular and perhaps may lead to them growing as an organisation in Cork.

You wouldn't think that would be the case with the auld "fenian toe-rag" lark.

Are you REALLY going to tell us that the Low-Carb IRA (or whatever they are called) are a group of decent people?.. That don't take protection money?.. Run illiegal weapons?... Want to kill innocent (English) people with cowardly bombs?... Yep... that's a group that we want to grow?

Terrorists are toe rags
    And they are Fenian too..

Hence.. Fenian Toe-Rags...!!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Regarding that family (who is centred around the Fair Hill area of Cork), one of them recently was found with €20,000 worth of heroin and is on remand.
    Doesn't that give the lie to the suggestion that the Gardaí are not doing anything about the problem?
    That is why I was very confused when an Inspector told a community meeting in Knocknaheeny that there were no large heroin dealers in Cork...
    I'd be curious to hear how he squares that particular circle, myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

I despise the Rira, but FTA69 is correct, there is no denying it.

There is a real and growing problem (particularily on the Northside) and many people there traditionally distrust the Gardai and people often don't want to be seen as co-operating with them.
    They would see it as justice if these drug dealers were executed or terrified into ceasing/fleeing by a vigilante group and its likely support would grow for whatever group was behind it.

BTW, the recent big seizure was in Blarney, not in Guran, unless we're talking about a different sizure: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0815/breaking106.htm

There was an article last year in the Examiner, where a consultant from CUH was saying the heroin cases had trippled.
    They aslo said that the Africans were bringing a lot of heroin into the city:
    http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2008/05/16/story62846.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

From the outside you see people with an identical name to other iterations of the IRA, made up of former members of PIRA, doing exactly what PIRA did.

How are we supposed to differentiate?

They aren't conducting themselves the same way as most provos and I think you'll find most RIRA members are young lads who barely knew of the troubles

Doesn't that give the lie to the suggestion that the Gardaí are not doing anything about the problem?

I have no doubt that there are many decent guards committed to tackling the heroin problem in Cork, but the fact is that this isn't a black and white issue. At the meeting in Knocknaheeny which I attended the guards (Inspector Gary McPolin and a seargent attached to Guranabraher), announced that while convictions for possesion of drugs was up (the vast majority being people caught with a small amount of cannabis), convictions for dealing were down. Basically the attitude taken by the Inspector left a lot to be desired, telling us there were no large heroin dealers in Cork was one blatant lie. When confronted by parents about the aggressive attitude the cops take with the youth in that area (i.e seizing small amounts of hash off them and using that to bulk up their statistics) the Inspector said that they treat young people in Knocka the same way they treat young people anywhere else. Something else that is completely untrue and which locals know full well isn't the case.

One man stood up and let loose at the cops on the panel. His son was a full-blown addict who was arrested by the cops with a small wrap of heroin, they then stuck him into a patrol car and drove him around Knocknaheeny making him point out drug-dealers' houses in full view of anyone and everyone. Needless to say he came under threat and he killed himself a few weeks later. Similarly we also see cases where smack is being peddled out of houses on a routine basis with nothing being seen to be done, while an addict on the street will get lifted, get a beating down at the station and end up doing 5 odd months.

So in short OB, people are very angry for a reason. And a lot of it has to do with the fact that the attitude of the Guards in working class areas stinks, and it always has to be honest. If they wish to earn community trust then they have a bit to go in earning it, co-operation is a two-way street.

Dannyboy,
    BTW, the recent big seizure was in Blarney, not in Guran, unless we're talking about a different sizure:

The one I'm on about was only €20,000 worth of heroin (bare in mind the cops usually double the actual value of drug seizures) and was found in the possesion of a member of a northside crime family. I see that recently, Councillor Jonathan O'Brien (SF), a man who has done more than anyone in tackling the drugs issue in Cork, has come under threat from the usual array of scumbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Souljacker

One set of criminals say they're going to target another, that's all this is.

The RIRA have no legitimacy, they're nothing more than fascist thugs who want to control communities through fear because they'll never have any significant support beyond a few hoods and hate filled trigger happy provos.

If anyone thinks this (message) is a good thing look what's happening in Derry. The same group put pipe bombs under a PSNI officers elderly parents and sister's cars in 2 separate attacks.

Why? because the police man came from a catholic background.

RIRA = sectarian fascists.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Dublinman12

Just looking at this thread now...and the amount of people condoning the impending actions of an impending group of people who threaten to rid the drug dealers from the South of Cork....Ethically and legally this is wrong, any dog in the street knows that...and the fact that the people that are doing this are connected to a sectarian movement...
    But some people have to realise...and to me there are major effects to dug dealers and Junkies who are in the local vicnity of a lot of places in Ireland...Take Dublin City....Drug deals happen in the city centre on a regular basis, Junkies roam the streets, hang around Luas stops and everywhere else...Dublin city is a kip...
    Then take the amount of Burglaries that are committed by Junkies looking for their fix...I was a victim of one of those....apparently he was known to the guards and had something like 23 previous convictions...but yet he was still roaming the streets...

The fact is this..Lots of people either who have been directly affected or live in a close vicinity to scumbags know that the Irish Judicial laws are not serving them well...
    And due to lack of guards or lack of training things are only going to get worse....to be quite honest if you are not sitting in your Ivory Tower or quite obviously havent been directly affected by crime...(Believe me it changes your mindset)...
    And when a Vigilante group comes out and says they are going to rid the streets of drug dealers....of course its perfectly natural for a lot of people to welcome it...unfortunately there are lot of scum in our society and our laws are nowhere near good enough...
    When a vigilante group comes out...then its quite obvious the guards and the government have drastically failed the country...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Souljacker

Just looking at this thread now...and the amount of people condoning the impending actions of an impending group of people who threaten to rid the drug dealers from the South of Cork....Ethically and legally this is wrong, any dog in the street knows that...and the fact that the people that are doing this are connected to a sectarian movement...
    But some people have to realise...and to me there are major effects to dug dealers and Junkies who are in the local vicnity of a lot of places in Ireland...Take Dublin City....Drug deals happen in the city centre on a regular basis, Junkies roam the streets, hang around Luas stops and everywhere else...Dublin city is a kip...
    Then take the amount of Burglaries that are committed by Junkies looking for their fix...I was a victim of one of those....apparently he was known to the guards and had something like 23 previous convictions...but yet he was still roaming the streets...

The fact is this..Lots of people either who have been directly affected or live in a close vicinity to scumbags know that the Irish Judicial laws are not serving them well...
    And due to lack of guards or lack of training things are only going to get worse....to be quite honest if you are not sitting in your Ivory Tower or quite obviously havent been directly affected by crime...(Believe me it changes your mindset)...
    And when a Vigilante group comes out and says they are going to rid the streets of drug dealers....of course its perfectly natural for a lot of people to welcome it...unfortunately there are lot of scum in our society and our laws are nowhere near good enough...
    When a vigilante group comes out...then its quite obvious the guards and the government have drastically failed the country...

I completely see you point but why should a fascist sectarian movement be the ones to decide who the drug dealers are?

Also what do you thinks' going to happen when/if drug dealers start to be attacked in the south cork area?
    Do you really believe the controllers of organized crime are going scuttle away and give up their profit streams? Not a chance, there'll be reprisal attacks, turf wars and innocent people will inevitably die.

Finally take a look what happened up north when the provos got their pincers into communities.
    Punishment beatings, extortion, orders to leave the country, robberies etc,

And it wasn't just drug dealers who suffered from the above.

The government and law enforcement may not be perfect and possibly far from it but anyone who thinks the rira will in any way make things better is deluded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I really have no problem with heroin dealers being murdered. None at all. They've actually been the cause of a lot more suffering than any dissident republicans.

On the other hand sceptical of a group like the RIRA. Are they going to be like Sinn Fein/IRA of the past and only target dealers who aren't paying them protection money.

Marlo Hyland never got targeted by Sinn Fein controlled anti-drug marchers because he paid up. I can only assume something similar is going on here

Advertisement