Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Agency

Options
  • 16-09-2009 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm looking for recommendations for a property agency to manage the rental of my apartment when I move abroad. Any help greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

I realize you're moving abroad and need someone to manage your property, but is there any chance you could get a family member/friend maybe to do it? As a tenant for the last 7 years here, I have nothing but bad things to say about agents. I just moved back in March and even in the current climate, the attitudes of agents haven't changed much - there are places I had a genuine interest in and would probably offer the asking rent without any messing about, but the agents couldn't even be arsed to get back to me at any point. Some of the places I looked at were still on daft.ie for months after that...

So unless it's absolutely essential, I'd avoid them like the plague. I don't see what "special" skills an agent will bring to the table anyway in regards to vetting tenants/showing the place, etc that a family member could not do and you're more likely to trust a family member (or even a friend) instead of some random agent...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

totally agree with the last post. If possible Id get a family member to handle it. Ive never heard a good story about an agent from a tennant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Incompetance is a worry I have to say. I would love to have someone I trust to do it like a family member but the real issue is showing the place to people I don't feel I'm in a position to ask family to take time out of their lives to show the place on short notice probably over a period of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

DapperGent wrote: »
    Incompetance is a worry I have to say. I would love to have someone I trust to do it like a family member but the real issue is showing the place to people I don't feel I'm in a position to ask family to take time out of their lives to show the place on short notice probably over a period of weeks.

having been in the position to show properties for a family member it really isnt that big of an inconvienence. Infact Id consider having to drop a family member out to the airport during rush hour a far bigger pain in the backside !!

Viewings dont have to be at that short a notice, and can be arraged to suit their schedules, and once you get somebody in thats it hopefully for at least a year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

D3PO wrote: »
    Viewings dont have to be at that short a notice, and can be arraged to suit their schedules, and once you get somebody in thats it hopefully for at least a year

+1 - and most people are fine with that too. Sure enough, most agents seem to arrange viewings whenever it suits them, not whenever it suits the prospective tenants. So it's not like your family member would have to drop everything then and there and arrange a viewing on a very short turnaround (though yes, preferably, it would help if you can get someone that is available to show the property sooner rather than later, as there is plenty of choice for tenants right now).

• Advertisement
Advertisement