Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fencing Query

Options
  • 16-09-2009 9:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭

I'd like some views of people with fencing experience and i have little or no experience and ill try to explain in in simple terms. I want to put in a fence minimum or 5 foot high around a curver area which at present has a 4 foot high hedge on my neighbours side,,,the idea in my head is having about 6 or 7 uprights with 3 horizontal bars one of which i would like on ground level... my question is should i use square steaks or round ones as ill need to get the angle around the curve and half of the lenght of the fence will eventually be filled with concrete up to the edge for a dog run. how did should i put the steaks into the ground and how will i get the angles i need and I want to do this for the cheapest price possible, i'll also be attaching wire onto to fence as it will need to be secure for the dog and lastly ill be doing concrete uprights and ship lap on the other side but i dont want to do that on the curved side...any ideas of help appreciated..i drive by a builder suppliers in lucan along the strawberry beds every day so i think this would be the best place to pick up cheap material unless anyone else knows better..or is anyone wants to give e a quote id be happy to hear them out on a pm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Kaldorn wrote: »
    I'd like some views of people with fencing experience and i have little or no experience and ill try to explain in in simple terms. I want to put in a fence minimum or 5 foot high around a curver area which at present has a 4 foot high hedge on my neighbours side,,,the idea in my head is having about 6 or 7 uprights with 3 horizontal bars one of which i would like on ground level... my question is should i use square steaks or round ones as ill need to get the angle around the curve and half of the lenght of the fence will eventually be filled with concrete up to the edge for a dog run. how did should i put the steaks into the ground and how will i get the angles i need and I want to do this for the cheapest price possible, i'll also be attaching wire onto to fence as it will need to be secure for the dog and lastly ill be doing concrete uprights and ship lap on the other side but i dont want to do that on the curved side...any ideas of help appreciated..i drive by a builder suppliers in lucan along the strawberry beds every day so i think this would be the best place to pick up cheap material unless anyone else knows better..or is anyone wants to give e a quote id be happy to hear them out on a pm.

Better to secure fencing posts (100x100mm or 75x75mm) in concrete footings. Excavate post pits 300x300x600mm (Deep) and set posts at 900mm centres. Better to use a vertical board and a narrow width 125 or 150mm wide x 25mm thick. You will need to provide bracing straps linking to each post and the vertical boards can be screw fixed to the bracing. For bracing I would suggest you use 20mm marine plywood sheeting cut in strips 200mm wide x length of curve (or 2400mmm which is the typical length of plywood sheeting). Ensure that all timbers used ie posts and boards are pressure treated. You will need to used supports to support posts as concrete cures (24hrs). For more info and some pics, look at our Garden Fencing on our blog:

http://www.owenchubblandscapers.com/news/entry/category/garden-fencing/

Advertisement