Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent modern Day Platformers?

Options
  • 16-09-2009 9:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

After playing some retro platforming games such as Crash Bandicoot, Ape Escape and Sypro, I was wondering if anyone could recomend me some current gen ones.

cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Thats one of the genres that shrunk massively after the PS1 era.

-Ratchet & Clank has some platforming, but is mainly a shooter.
    -Sly Cooper on the PS2 was awesome.
    -Mario Galaxy on Wii is meant to be one of the best Mario games in years.

All I can think of now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Braid on the pc is supposed to be class i will be getting it in a week or two

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,470 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mario Galaxy and Braid are both fantastic, and I'm loving littlebigplanet at the moment. Some of the levels people have created are fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

Ratchet & Clank definitely.

Little Big Planet is also very good, and with a veritably infinite amount of levels to play. Best played with 2+ people though.

The new Spyro game (i.e. The Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon) is pretty good also, although, like LBP, I'd recommend playing it in co-op with someone.

... and if you haven't already, play the PoP trilogy and also the new one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Psychonauts. Probably the best, not to mention funniest, platformer i've played in a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Mirrors Edge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

Not out yet, but new super mario bros on wii looks pretty fun. The DS NSMB was excellent too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Little Big Planet provides all the platforming you need really, fantastic gameplay, especially in multiplayer, and practically unlimited levels to work through.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Braid is excellent, but its more of a puzzle game with platforming.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Jim wrote: »
    Braid is excellent, but its more of a puzzle game with platforming.

+1

Gameplay, Art style, music and that ending, what an ending. Absolutely fantastic game, everyone should play it at least once. The gameplay has to be some of the most rewarding I've experienced in recent history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

i was once the view platformers belong to the 2-D sidescrolling environment.

Sands of Time changed that, but Prince of Persia 2008 reaffirmed it.

no, just a hopeless game emo. like Crash Commando scuppered my 2D viewpoint - Uncharted saves face. 2D if only for 1080p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Bionic Commando Rearmed

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The Maw is rather enjoyable, available on PC and XBL.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Little Big Planet, Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction and Mario Galaxy are three platformers not to be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

In addition to some of the classics mentioned above, I recommend the Lego games, particularly Lego Star Wars. They're just good fun, with a quirky sense of humour. Lots of collecting too, if you're into that!

Advertisement