Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just ordered Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol, anyone else?

Options
  • 16-09-2009 9:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭

I was eagerly awaiting his next book as I loved his first 4, got me back to reading to be perfectly honest.

This one continues on with the legacy of Robert Langdon.

http://www.thelostsymbol.com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

I have it, must finish my current book before i start it though. I am looking forward to it. I really enjoyed The Da Vince Code and Angels and Demons. I think that they are brilliant for what they are, just really enjoyable thrillers with lots of interesting facts about historical societies and figures. Brown is not aiming to win any awards for his writing, but he just aims to write an enjoyable story that you cannot put down and he does it really well.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

cpu-dude wrote: »
    This one continues on with the legacy of Robert Langdon...
    You do realise that wiki entry gives away the entire plot of the book?

Wiki is not the same as the blurb on the back of a book it is a synopsis.

SPOILER IT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Dades wrote: »
    You do realise that wiki entry gives away the entire plot of the book?

Wiki is not the same as the blurb on the back of a book it is a synopsis.

SPOILER IT.
    Sod it, it's gone :-) Thanks!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I was eagerly awaiting his next book as I loved his first 4, got me back to reading to be perfectly honest.

This one continues on with the legacy of Robert Langdon.

http://www.thelostsymbol.com/

ffs will you read what you post!!! You just spoiled major parts of the book for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

FutureGuy wrote: »
    ffs will you read what you post!!! You just spoiled major parts of the book for me.
    Changed it before you even posted so relax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I know that I'll end up reading this book at some stage. The man is weirdly adddictive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Its in Tescos for €11.99

Changed it before you even posted so relax.

You spoiled a major part of the spoiler for a book I have waited years for and instead of an apology, you tell me relax? You edited at 10:26, I posted at 10:27 and I had read your comment before both.

Cop on.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

cpu-dude - be more careful in future please.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

BVB wrote: »
    Its in Tescos for €11.99

Youre kidding? After all that "pre order yours here" hype.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭oncevotedff

FutureGuy wrote: »
    You spoiled a major part of the spoiler for a book I have waited years for and instead of an apology, you tell me relax? You edited at 10:26, I posted at 10:27 and I had read your comment before both.

Cop on.

Maybe you shouldn't have read it then.:rolleyes:

As for Dan Brown. I read the Da Vinci Code and you couldn't pay me to read another of his books.

Maybe you shouldn't have read it then.:rolleyes:

As for Dan Brown. I read the Da Vinci Code and you couldn't pay me to read another of his books.

Well if it was posted as SPOILER then I would not. Obviously you haven't had a book spoiled for you before or you would keep your comments to yourself.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Next person posting off topic shall be infracted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Youre kidding? After all that "pre order yours here" hype.

I was in Tescos in Celbridge last night and they have a stand at the entrance with the Hardback and soft covers

Hardback is 13.99 and soft cover is 11.99.

I seen it on Amazon.co.uk for £4,99

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭kaiser soza

I bought the hardback in Tesco in Maynooth for €11.99 and have seen it advertised for £5.99 in WHSmith if you spend £15 instore,good book so far same feel as the other 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

I always felt the guy should make documentaries (Except of course on ACTUAL EVENTS!). He writes like a script writer, but spends too much time describing every single MINOR DETAIL. I'm sorry, I don't think I want to know how many tiles are on the floor. Definitely will give this one amiss :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Well, that's me now assured that humanity is indeed screwed. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

been to tesco clearwater and phibsboro and no sign!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

I have read Dan Browns other four books, but because I have become a snobby bastard in the interim I probably wont read this. Saying that, as another poster mentioned, Dan Brown is a good writer for what he does. Not only are his books face paced etc, but they also have some historical intrigue to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Half-way through it and really enjoying it, really impressed so far!

The only one little criticism is the fact that he seems to recycle his characters, the female lead in this Katherine, is way too similar to the female leads in Da Vinci code and A&D!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭pipelaser

He doesnt get his Hole in the end this time,
    what the Fu*k is that all about??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

For those who haven't read it or bought it yet - don't! It's a load of sh*te! Now, I enjoyed The DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons. Ok, they weren't exactly going to win the Booker prize, but I thought they were entertaining and fast paced, if highly implausable! This one however, is atrocious. The story is just a cut and paste of the DaVinci code with the word 'Mason' inserted where the Catholic church was in TDC. The characters in this book are carbon copies of his previous characters. The baddie, Mal-ark is just Silas from TDC with tatoos. This book is far too long and unforgivingly boring. I felt my eyes glazing over when they started droning on about endless symbols and codes. And for a smart man, Robert Langdon is awfully stupid. There are just too many plot holes and implausable situations. While I was willing to overlook these in his previous books, this book isn't well written enough or fast paced enough to warrant putting up with his crap.
    Why would Langdon travel to Washington to meet a friend, bringing an item he promised to guard with his life, without actually talking to the friend? Why would Katherine let a man she had only met once into her top secret lab? Based on a text her brother had sent when she had just said that he didn't know how to text?
    These are just a couple of the glaringly stupid plot situations. Dan Brown is actually insulting his readers at this stage. The 'twist' in the end is shockingly obvious from very early in the book.

I certainly won't be reading any of Dan Browns future offerings. He is obviously churning them out at this stage, safe in the knowledge that they will sell millions. Oh and another thing, this book is written like a screen play for the inevitable bumbling movie that we can 'look forward' to viewing in 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Mr.Messy

-The Lost Symbol,
    -Mysterious
    -Interesting
    -soft ending
    -Good but failed to challenge me, bought it and read it in 1 and a half days

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

the book is actually dirt, same shit different book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭DU.LLAHAN

i read his books for the story do skim over alot of his descriptions dont think he needs to go into so much detail but i found myself askin questions like
    katherine gets a text that she thinks is from her brother askin her to ring dr abaddon and ask him to come to the lab. why doest she think or reply to her brother why dont you ask him? dont you have a phone?
    It was something to read on the plane home i suppose past the time. Not his best book alot of holes in it.

Advertisement