Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chimney flue

Options
  • 16-09-2009 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭

does anyone from the court know if the gas fires are convertible to solid fuel or did the 'builders' bother building chimney flues.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

AFAIK they are purely cosmetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

w@n£ers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

hehe!

I'm in the Wood and we bought off the plans. When the show house was ready we went to take a look and witnessed a woman tearing strips off one of the sales team because they bought off the plans and assumed a chimney on the roof meant they could have an open fire. Not a happy bunny....

It's a bit odd alright to have a chimney and no fire, but a house would look odd without one, I reckon. Having lived most of my life in a house with an open fire, I for one am glad not to have to clean out ashes every day!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

It's a bit odd alright to have a chimney and no fire, but a house would look odd without one, I reckon.

Most of the houses in Eden Gate have no chimneys. Its a little odd at first but you get used to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Stan90

I enquired last year with Fenton Fires and its possible to put a chimney in, but it would be expensive, around 6000 and also it would run through the front bedroom and out the roof so the neighbours may object.....
    I was disgusted when I learnt there was no chimney there, another case of being ripped off! If I knew then what I know now.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Stan90 wrote: »
    I enquired last year with Fenton Fires and its possible to put a chimney in, but it would be expensive, around 6000 and also it would run through the front bedroom and out the roof so the neighbours may object.....
    I was disgusted when I learnt there was no chimney there, another case of being ripped off! If I knew then what I know now.....

You weren't ripped off - when you have an open fire the effiency is about 30% - by not actually having a big flue with draw etc, you are retaining heat (however with the gale we get through the vents in the wall for the little gas fire, which rarely is used, there's probably no difference so I am speaking from a theoretical point of view!) - If you did have an open fire a BER cert rating would be much lower on the house. So what I am saying is, have either gas or oil central heating as a non-renewable source.

You'd be better off spending your 6k on air-to-water heat pumps, or photovoltaic panels, or vaccum tube solar panels. Plus you might get some money back from the SEI.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Advertisement