Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a surveyor for structual survey

Options
  • 16-09-2009 10:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Hi,
    Could people please recommend a good surveyor to do a full structural survey on a property i am looking to buy.

I need a surveyor who looks in detail, not one who just wanders around and quotes building regulations.

I have done a search here on boards.ie and have one or two names but i would like to try and gauge peoples experiences.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We've always employed an architect to look over a house before buying it. It probably costs more but it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

We've always employed an architect to look over a house before buying it. It probably costs more but it's worth it.

why is it worth it ? You get a copy of the surveyors professional indemnity insurance policy when you get the survey results. So in the unusual chance of something being missed you can claim on their professional insurance.

why pay extra for something that you dont need ?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Only an engineer can do a "structural" survey. This will only ensure the building is / isn't likely to fall down. It may not mention anything about the windows being inadequate.

What are your requirements out of this survey? At what stage of the purchase are you at?
    D3PO wrote: »
    You get a copy of the surveyors professional indemnity insurance policy when you get the survey results.
    Giving out copies of your policy is probably in breach of the policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 WarrenB

Victor wrote: »
    Only an engineer can do a "structural" survey. This will only ensure the building is / isn't likely to fall down. It may not mention anything about the windows being inadequate.

What are your requirements out of this survey? At what stage of the purchase are you at?

My requirements are that I noticed a damp smell in the property and want it investigated. I would need the roof checked and also checks for woodworm etc ..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Victor wrote: »
    Giving out copies of your policy is probably in breach of the policy.

im not talking about the full policy document but rather proof of professional indemnity insurance and the policy number and date of cover.

Im here looking at a coyle hamilton letter of my surveyors professional indemnity insurance. Interesting if he shouldnt have given it to me but at the time I found it really helped my piece of mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You are probably looking for a Building Surveyor, who will be able to advise on most bits. It just might be possible that he will spot something that he is not comfortable defining and may need to take on extra expertise. Thats for you to discuss between you.

For example, the surveyor might think teh smell is down to it being unventilated but that the roof probably needs complete re-doing, but might be concerned about an old chimney that is now leaning slightly. The surveyor may be able to say its a problem, but may not be able to define the extent of the problem.

If this house is just one of many, you may decide not to proceed any further - no use in throwing good money after bad. However, if you have your heart set on this property, he can give you a quote to get one of his usual engineers to look at it. As the engineer is only concentrating on the chimney, you would be paying for for 1.5 reports instead of 2 reports.

This is a fair balance between cost and responsibility.

http://www.scs.ie/what_is_a_surveyor_/what_is_a_building_surveyor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭ALFIET

Hiya

Not related to the company but used them myself.

Conspect.ie

Mike Fleming.

highly recommended

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

if it is an old house get a services survey done too.
    It was the best thing we could have done buying the current house.

Advertisement