Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is ther not any "yes" offline discussions?

Options
  • 16-09-2009 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭

Every day I see posters by the "No" campaigners about open discussions about the Lisbon Treaty, but none been set up by the "Yes" campaign.

Why is this?

Is it because the Yes campaign would only be able to go so far, limited by the truth, whereas the No campaign can bring up every tinfoil hat conspiracy theory, from micro-chipping your babies, to mandatory conscription?

Also, who is sponsoring them? Every time I see it, they're renting out the largest hall in the area.

The latest one was for Leixlip GAA hall. I like the way they invited someone from Intel, as opposed to a yes campaigner who'd know the in's and outs of the Lisbon campaign :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

the_syco wrote: »
    Every day I see posters by the "No" campaigners about open discussions about the Lisbon Treaty, but none been set up by the "Yes" campaign.

Why is this?

Is it because the Yes campaign would only be able to go so far, limited by the truth, whereas the No campaign can bring up every tinfoil hat conspiracy theory, from micro-chipping your babies, to mandatory conscription?

Also, who is sponsoring them? Every time I see it, they're renting out the largest hall in the area.

The latest one was for Leixlip GAA hall. I like the way they invited someone from Intel, as opposed to a yes campaigner who'd know the in's and outs of the Lisbon campaign :rolleyes:

you might want this moved to European politics forum

there are few reasons

any threads started get quickly sidetracked by the same copy and paste jobs of new members signing up just to post a one liner and dissapear, most of these being one variation or another of FreedomJohn :D

and alot of our time is unfortunately being wasted by people starting threads, such as:

* EU will bring in death penalty
    * " " will cause us to be conscripted and loose neutrality
    * " " will make them evil scientists research on fetuses and stem cells

but dont worry im planning on starting a thread soon which will hopefully shed a light on what a bunch of lunatics there are on the NO campaign

i just need to build up references to backup my statements ;)

oh and thats something that the NO side can learn to do, backup their statements with references and facts

not just regurgitate the same crap over and over which is getting tiring now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

he's talking about "offline" discussions (town hall etc) not threads

Riskymove wrote: »
    he's talking about "offline" discussions (town hall etc) not threads

hmm yes i see

there are quite a few tv and radio debates on subject so far

tho a townhall meeting be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    and alot of our time is unfortunately being wasted by people starting threads, such as:

* EU will bring in death penalty
    * " " will cause us to be conscripted and loose neutrality
    * " " will make them evil scientists research on fetuses and stem cells
    The groups who make said posters are the same groups who hold these "debates". They invite people, but there never seems to be a political "yes" campaigner, but rather someone from a business, who won't be able to come "oh, we invited someone from the yes camp, but they declined"...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

You can check here: http://www.eurodiary.ie - it seems to have quite a few Yes discussion events.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement

Scofflaw wrote: »
    You can check here: http://www.eurodiary.ie - it seems to have quite a few Yes discussion events.

cordially,
    Scofflaw
    Aye, seems 50-50. The "People's Movement" are the "no" side, whereas FG/others are the "yes" side.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Every day I see posters by the "No" campaigners about open discussions about the Lisbon Treaty

from what I have seen those open discussions would happen even there wasnt a lisbon treaty. I see the same posters (they are the one's in black and white most of the time) go up every week about anything and everything. Its just grass roots politics.

Theres a discussion/debate in the Menlo Park Hotel in Galway on the 26th September

im gonna double check the date next time im passing that way

Theres a discussion/debate in the Menlo Park Hotel in Galway on the 26th September

Seems Labour had a "yes" debate there last Monday http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/16270

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

You sure it's on a saturday? if it's on during the week I'll meet you there if you like...

• Advertisement

You sure it's on a saturday?

im not sure on exact date :( i think it was 26th

i seen the signs outside of it but the text was rather small and me in a hurry

was paying attention to road and roundabout

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Fine Gael are holding a talk on Lisbon in pretty much every county on Monday.

If your in Waterford, Waterford YFG are holding a talk with Sean Kelly in WIT at 7.30pm.

Not sure if the other partys are doing the same, cant say I heard anything.

im not sure on exact date :( i think it was 26th

i seen the signs outside of it but the text was rather small and me in a hurry

was paying attention to road and roundabout

I'll have a look for it when I'm going over to the better halfs place later...

It's an FG 'Yes to Lisbon' public meeting on Monday at 8pm in the Menlo Park Hotel. I'd be up for going if any other galway boardsies are, yes or no, I don't mind, send me a pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

There have been a good few Yes public meetings in fairness.

From what I understand a few have been disrupted by people shouting about the CIA (I kid you not).

From what I understand a few have been disrupted by people shouting about the CIA (I kid you not).
    the_syco wrote: »
    whereas the No campaign can bring up every tinfoil hat conspiracy theory, from micro-chipping your babies, to mandatory conscription?
    As I said, the "no" campaign can bring up every tinfoil hat conspiracy theory there is.

Advertisement