Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guess the NAMA figure!

Options
  • 16-09-2009 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

Time for a bit of fun lads... no discussion of NAMA here - just put down the figure you reckon Brian Lenihan will announce in the Dáil this afternoon - the figure in billions of euros, not the percentage.

The first person to post the correct figure will win an exciting prize - they will be named King Of This Thread!

I'll go first: €54 bn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

€61Bn.

no reason for the guess, just have a feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

€64bn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

68.2 Big Ones

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Nihilist21

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭afatbollix

78.6bill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

€85 billion.
    Lenihan said €120 million (Gross) would be allocated towards it..lots of playing around with figures on their part :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Aligator Farmer

I think they'll do it in stages, so I'm going for 32 Billion today, with more announcements to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

€73.2bn

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

70 Billion!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

2 bob!!

Nah.......anything more than 60bn will be a travesty. I'll go for 75bn

• Registered Users Posts: 18,599 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I dont think the figures are that simple to be honest.
    I still dont know if anyone knows how many "loans" the banks need to sell to Nama (and even if they may need to sell more to them in the future)

However just to stick with a theme of the thread I reckon a figure of 34 Billion will be mentioned today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Book debts 80 Billion !

Actual Debts......????????

60 Billion +. Coughlan et al will overspend. Guarantee it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Is the estimated market value figure (the important one in my opinion) going to be produced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭Rondolfus

One marble short of a deck of cards (in Euro, cash)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭gotBass

€58.4 bn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

about 3-fiddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭crocro

And the answer is 54 billion of bonds, a 30% discount on book value of 77 billion of assets.
    The split is
    Anglo:28 billion
    AIB: 24 billion
    BoI: 16 billion
    Nationwide: 8 billion
    EBS: 1 billion

Current market value is estimated at 47 billion so the gift to the banks is 7 billion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,975 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

54 billion
    €54,000,000,000

I don't know whether NAMA is the right move or not, but thats an awfully big figure - can the Greens, and FF backbenchers really turn around to their "supporters" and say "we're giving the banks, the guys that fúcked up in the first place, €54,000,000,000 of your money"? It's going to be a very tough sell, I smell an election...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Our little competition is over! The amount to be paid is €77bn according to the Irish Times! :eek:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0916/breaking4.htm

Edit: €54bn to be paid on €77bn of assets... apologies!!!

And the king of the thread... well, it's actually...

ME

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

loyatemu wrote: »
    54 billion
    €54,000,000,000

I don't know whether NAMA is the right move or not, but thats an awfully big figure - can the Greens, and FF backbenchers really turn around to their "supporters" and say "we're giving the banks, the guys that fúcked up in the first place, €54,000,000,000 of your money"? It's going to be a very tough sell, I smell an election...

How much tax revenue is that? 18-19 months' worth? Stupid bastards is all I can say! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

The AIB exposure is a lot bigger than I thought. Also, I thought EBS would be in the hundred of millions and not a billion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭crocro

Annual interest will be 810 million at current rates. This will go up by 540 million for every 1% that ECB rates rise from their current historic low.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Time to get out - I am certainly not staying around to pay this.

Love the way Lenihan spins it by calling it a 30% "discount". A discount is normally the amount below the market value that you get to pay. The 30% here refers to the percentage below the "book value" which is largely irrelevant. The "book value" is the amount a company would pay back but only in the event that it survived to do so. The reason the banks are in trouble is that there's very little faith in international markets in the ability of these developers to pay back that money.

Danno wrote: »
    Time to get out - I am certainly not staying around to pay this.
    You want to have some country you can call your homeland though don't you though?. Even if you live in, say, Australia for the next 30 years, you still want the option of returning to something with a functioning economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

crocro wrote: »
    And the answer is 54 billion of bonds, a 30% discount on book value of 77 billion of assets.
    The split is
    Anglo:28 billion
    AIB: 24 billion
    BoI: 16 billion
    Nationwide: 8 billion
    EBS: 1 billion

Current market value is estimated at 47 billion so the gift to the banks is 7 billion.

80% of Irish Nationwide's total assets!!! 80 fcuking per cent!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

SkepticOne wrote: »
    You want to have some country you can call your homeland though don't you though?. Even if you live in, say, Australia for the next 30 years, you still want the option of returning to something with a functioning economy.

Maybe they can provide him with some affordable housing now with all these empty assets?:pac:

Advertisement