Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog tied during day - cruel?

Options
  • 16-09-2009 10:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

My dog has a habit of running around to the side of the house and sitting there during the day. The rest of the garden is quite big but she seems to prefer sitting on the cobbles at the side. However, I'm worried she'll get robbed. Someone could easily take her by just putting their hands over the side fence and lifting her and there have been a number of dog robberies in the area.

I was thinking about building a run but then I saw a friend using a long rubber style lead and stake to keep their dog in their garden during the day. I bought a stake and 20 foot lead in the North for £13.

I tried the dog on it yesterday and she seemed okay for a few hours. This morning I let her run around the yard for a half hour and then put her back on the lead to go to work. My wife rang there and said she has been barking and howling a bit. Is this just until she gets used to it or is what I'm doing cruel?

I'm really doing it for her own safety as I don't like her being at the side of the house. I can't really afford a run (I also feel that allowing her to move 20 foot in each direction is giving her alot more room than she'd have on a run) but the lead allows her to move 20 foot in each direction and I've made sure she can still go into the shed if it rains and has water. I also made sure she has all her toys.

I plan to let her off the lead in the evenings and the weekends (unless we are away) and she will still get her hour run each day and be allowed into the house in the evenings.

Would people think its cruel to have her tied like this during the day? I feel a bit guilty myself tbh but I can't think of any better method to keep her safe and allow her room to exercise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I don't think it's cruel to contain your dog. But dogs should only be tied under supervision and never left alone when tethered. What if the dog got frantic over something and knotted herself up in the lead. I think a run would be safer.

Is your wife home? If so, I can't see why the dog should be tethered outside anyway. If there isn't someone home, then you're doing the right thing in securing your dog. They go missing all the time :(. But I do think a run might be better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Triton

I don't think it's cruel to contain your dog. But dogs should only be tied under supervision and never left alone when tethered. What if the dog got frantic over something and knotted herself up in the lead. I think a run would be safer.

Is your wife home? If so, I can't see why the dog should be tethered outside anyway. If there isn't someone home, then you're doing the right thing in securing your dog. They go missing all the time :(. But I do think a run might be better?

I have made sure there is not anything that she can get the lead caught on so she is in no danger. I can't imagine how she could knot herself up either tbh. I've watched her supervised on the lead and that was not happening at all. The odd time she might get her leg caught but she was getting used to it and it'd only take a second for her to get it freed.

She was home this morning but was asleep and has now gone out to work. She wouldn't of been able to watch her this morning. The dog will be tied from 8 to 4 each day and then be left free (along with a long walk for an hour off the lead) until 11. She also gets a half hour in the mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

extra fence & gate at the side of the house ...job done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Is she tied up at night?

ok then. You've asked, I've answered. It's not good to leave a dog tied unsupervised. I have seen two dogs manage to hang themselves. One who had been tethered for years and was more than used to it, luckily she was ok as there was someone in the house at the time. (The other was through complete stupidity on the owners part though)

• Advertisement

peasant wrote: »
    extra fence & gate at the side of the house ...job done

I don't own the house (we will be moving to a country house with more room in next 18 months after its completed) and the landlord has made it clear he doesn't want extra fences up.

I also wouldn't have the money to pay for it at the moment.

Toulouse wrote: »
    Is she tied up at night?

No. Only from 8 until 4. She is untied at 4 and goes for a walk every evening and then comes into the house. She is then put into our shed to sleep in her bed at night and is not tied.

ok then. You've asked, I've answered. It's not good to leave a dog tied unsupervised. I have seen two dogs manage to hang themselves. One who had been tethered for years and was more than used to it, luckily she was ok as there was someone in the house at the time. (The other was through complete stupidity on the owners part though)

In an ideal world I wouldn't leave her unsupervised but I really do think its the best option. I can't put up a new fence and a run would leave her with less space.

How did theese dogs manage to hang themselves may I ask? Were they large dogs or what breed? I've supervised her and looked a number of times and I can't see how she'd hang herself on it and there are no items around that she could get it caught on as she is away from trees etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Mr Teeny

I'd rather the dog had a little less space in a run than leave the potential risk of him getting caught up in the rope. You said he has a habit of running around the house, so even with the rope he'll still bomb around the place. Unsupervised could be very dangerous!

You could custom build a nice big run for him and atleast you'd have peace of mind then too when you were not at home

Triton wrote: »
    In an ideal world I wouldn't leave her unsupervised but I really do think its the best option. I can't put up a new fence and a run would leave her with less space.

How did theese dogs manage to hang themselves may I ask? Were they large dogs or what breed?

So did you start a thread to get people to say "oh no it's fine". Why ask advice if your way is best?

One greyhound, that was the one who had been tied for years. Took a leap over a wall which was higher than 6ft. The lead barely reached the top of the wall but she managed to swing her hind legs out over so all you could see from the other side of the wall was from just above her shoulders. She had a swollen neck for days, but she was ok. There was someone in the house to run out and pull her back over.

The other was some sort of terrier cross, tied up out the back all of it's life (and a horrible life it seemed to have been), simply knotted himself up in the rope. Owners came back to find him dead. They went out a few days later and got another puppy. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I personally wouldnt leave a dog tied, its too dangerous, you say its to stop someone from robbing her, but whats to stop someone coming into the garden anyway and untie'ing her and taking her?

I dont even leave a collar on my dog when im not around, my cousins dog hanged itself on a fence as its collar got stuck on the fence, not a nice thing to happen at all.

So for safety reasons no, i wouldnt tie a dog up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Question...

Why on earth is the dog not let inside the house..? What's the point of having a dog at all if it's kept outside and in a shed its whole life? Dogs should be part of the family and do best when they're with their people.

I can't imagine keeping a dog like that..

So did you start a thread to get people to say "oh no it's fine". Why ask advice if your way is best?

One greyhound, that was the one who had been tied for years. Took a leap over a wall which was higher than 6ft. The lead barely reached the top of the wall but she managed to swing her hind legs out over so all you could see from the other side of the wall was from just above her shoulders. She had a swollen neck for days, but she was ok. There was someone in the house to run out and pull her back over.

The other was some sort of terrier cross, tied up out the back all of it's life (and a horrible life it seemed to have been), simply knotted himself up in the rope. Owners came back to find him dead. They went out a few days later and got another puppy. :mad:

I never said my way is best. I've asked for advice and am explaining my situation. I don't expect a snooty attitude in return though.

I take the story about the terrier cross on board but the story about the greyhound has absolutely no relevance as I've already pointed out that my dog is not near any walls or items that it could get caught up in or use to hang itself.

liah wrote: »
    Question...

Why on earth is the dog not let inside the house..? What's the point of having a dog at all if it's kept outside and in a shed its whole life? Dogs should be part of the family and do best when they're with their people.

I can't imagine keeping a dog like that..

Because there would be no-one in the house during the day and the dog is quite active. She can move 20 foot in each direction even when tied and has all her toys outside. She then comes into the house in the evening when we are there to keep her company.

The dog is not "kept outside and in a shed its whole life" so less of the attitude please. I've already explained numerous times that the dog gets walked and is given attention in the evenings and at weekends.

I'd love not to keep the dog like that but people have to work you know.

andreac wrote: »
    I personally wouldnt leave a dog tied, its too dangerous, you say its to stop someone from robbing her, but whats to stop someone coming into the garden anyway and untie'ing her and taking her?

I dont even leave a collar on my dog when im not around, my cousins dog hanged itself on a fence as its collar got stuck on the fence, not a nice thing to happen at all.

So for safety reasons no, i wouldnt tie a dog up.

Thanks for your response. As for stopping someone taking her, I now have her in the centre of the back garden so she cannot be seen from the front of the house. If she sits at the side, she can be seen by everyone and anyone quite easily.

Sitting where she is now, no-one can see her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭dmy1001

Looks to me like Triton is trying to genuinely do the best for the dog and cannot see how the dog could become entangled in this lead.

If they did not want feedback then they would not have posted. they have given all the information and merely asked for pitfalls. Not everyone has seen a dog hanged by its own rope or even realises it is a possibility!

Triton if you are moving to the country presumably you will need a dog run then? Can you get one of the ones now that you can take down and bring with you?
    Personally i will tie my dogs (very rarely) in the back but only if i am there to watch them as i have watched too many of those animal cops shows that show all the different ways a dog can manage to entangle and hurt themselves.

I take the story about the terrier cross on board but the story about the greyhound has absolutely no relevance as I've already pointed out that my dog is not near any walls or items that it could get caught up in or use to hang itself.

The dog could get caught up in the rope, doesnt need a wall or anthing else for that to happen.

I don't own the house (we will be moving to a country house with more room in next 18 months after its completed) and the landlord has made it clear he doesn't want extra fences up.

I also wouldn't have the money to pay for it at the moment.

In that case you have to be inventive.

Something like those fence sections that are used to fence off building sites, beefed up with some wire mesh and held into position with wires or earth hooks or whatever ...some old pallets, re-inforced and tied down or even a big sheet of tarpaulin well secured ...you'll come up with something that's cheap, safe and removable.

Leaving the dog tied and unsupervised will end up with dead or injured dog for sure ...you would not believe what kind of knots a dog can make in a single length of rope.

dmy1001 wrote: »
    Looks to me like Triton is trying to genuinely do the best for the dog and cannot see how the dog could become entangled in this lead.

If they did not want feedback then they would not have posted. they have given all the information and merely asked for pitfalls. Not everyone has seen a dog hanged by its own rope or even realises it is a possibility!

Triton if you are moving to the country presumably you will need a dog run then? Can you get one of the ones now that you can take down and bring with you?
    Personally i will tie my dogs (very rarely) in the back but only if i am there to watch them as i have watched too many of those animal cops shows that show all the different ways a dog can manage to entangle and hurt themselves.

Thanks for your post.

In the country my plan is to let the dog out during the day as we are away from any major road and house can't be seen unless you go up a lane. She never goes far from home but I couldn't let her out in the town like that.

Are the dog runs like this not very expensive?

I wasn't aware, as you say, that a dog could tangle themselves up and hurt themselves.

andreac wrote: »
    The dog could get caught up in the rope, doesnt need a wall or anthing else for that to happen.

Which is why I said I take the story about the terrier cross on board :mad:

• Advertisement

In the country my plan is to let the dog out during the day as we are away from any major road and house can't be seen unless you go up a lane. She never goes far from home but I couldn't let her out in the town like that.

ooops ...next mistake.

Given the opportunity, any dog will wander off sooner or later, you can bank on that.

Better budget for a fenced off area for the dog in your house purchase

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Because there would be no-one in the house during the day and the dog is quite active. She can move 20 foot in each direction even when tied and has all her toys outside. She then comes into the house in the evening when we are there to keep her company.

The dog is not "kept outside and in a shed its whole life" so less of the attitude please. I've already explained numerous times that the dog gets walked and is given attention in the evenings and at weekends.

Triton I see nothing wrong with Liahs post.

Shes not
    Coming on and making accusations which are totally unfounded and which I have explained are untrue.

Shes asking a genuine question by the looks of it.

Also see the bit Ive highlighted in your post above--Thats looking to start an argument.Liah had no "attitude" in her post but yours does.And you`ve also accused Helena of having an "attitude" aswell.

So calm it down a bit.Im keeping an eye on this thread.

Yeah but you said your dog has no walls or items to get caught up in or to hang itself, im saying it doesnt needs walls etc for that to happen.

Thanks for your post.

I wasn't aware, as you say, that a dog could tangle themselves up and hurt themselves.

i have seen ones for sale that are from say €180+ depending on the size of dog. it may be worth your while considering as you will have it for life and you won't have to worry about ropes/straying/theft etc.
    we are in the country with a fairly enclosed place but i still have the runs as they are handy if i have to leave our gates open or anything.

Thanks for your post.

Im sorry, but that is the most irresponsible thing a dog owner can do. For a start its a risk to the dog and to people on the roads, can cause an accident or anything, you might not be near a road, but dogs do wander, you never know what your dog gets up when you arent there. I would never let my dog out loose like that to wander.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I have three very large, very active dogs back home. Two of them are quite young, one about a year and one about a year and a half.

They're grand with being left in the house when they need to be, with some toys to chew on. Believe it or not, no matter how active your dog is, they're really only active when they're with you or other dogs. Our dogs all just sleep when there's no one home. There's been times where we've had to leave them in the house all day and we come home and they're only just waking up. They're incredible at holding their bladders, too.

Is the cobbled area where your dog sits near the door? You say it sits there and does nothing for the most part, yeah? It just wants to be near people. When it's near you, it probably becomes more active. Our dogs have a good 10-15 acres to run around in, and we leave them loose outside all day when we're inside (we can see them from the windows). They just wait by the doors until we come outside, even just to sit, then they play and do their thing.

They're just like that. All my dogs have been like that. My gran's dogs have been like that, my aunt's dog is like that.

Is this your first dog?

Also, you said your dog could be nicked when there's no one around.. if there's no fence, someone could just come in and nick the dog off the lead, so I'm not sure how that would protect against anything. It'd be best, in my opinion, to leave it indoors for the day and then let it out when you're home to do its thing.

Why does it need to sleep in the shed? Why can't it sleep in the house with its people?

I really do think its the best option. .
    I never said my way is best. .
    yes you did and if you have a problem with a post I would appreciate if you'd report it rather than insult me.
    dmy1001 wrote: »
    Looks to me like Triton is trying to genuinely do the best for the dog and cannot see how the dog could become entangled in this lead..
    yes he appears to be. However, even after a few posts explaining that dog can easily hang themselves, Triton said that tying the dog is the best option for him. I just don't see the point in asking a question when if people take the time to answer you tell them that your way is best.

Unfortunately, it is a common occurance, dogs easily harm themselves when tied. As I said in my first post. A run would be a lot safer.

EDIT: Just saw your post about leaving the dog out to roam when you move out the country because she never wanders. You think there are no dog thiefs out the country?!?! Not to mention livestock, cars (major/minor road status means nothing) etc. She could be shot for wandering onto farmers land, knocked down on a road, or even your lane unless a gate is up there are so many things wrong with letting your dog wander. I'm out of this thread now as I don't want to say something which will get me a banning. Best of luck to you and your dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭sadhbhc15

I think people are being a bit harsh here on the OP. A lot of you seem to continue recommending a run / fence even though he has said these are out of the question. I've owned plenty of dogs and to be honest I've seen a lot of people treat dogs a million times worse than what the OP is doing. He seems to have taken as many precautions as he can and seems to genuinely love his dog. Fair enough it's not an ideal situation to tie a dog up but he's doing it for a good reason, and it's not like she's tied on a 2 foot rope all day long. Just my opinion, but I think some people here are overreacting. I can't see any maltreatment here. OP, you're doing the best you can within your own personal situation. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Kiya

Hi Triton,

I think that everyone here would recommend against tying a dog up, for any length of time, but especially when unsupervised.

My dog loves to run around the side and bark at passersby so I bought a cheap fence panel = €24 and propped it up against the side of the house.
    I don’t know what your garden/fence situation is, but it was very easily solved for me.
    Literally placed unused garden furniture on one side, propped the wooden fence panel against it. So she can’t go down the side passage, nobody can see her & the panel is very easily moved.
    Obviously you'd have to secure it but as I said propping on either side seems to be doing well with our one so far.

Best of luck!

• Advertisement

yes you did and if you have a problem with a post I would appreciate if you'd report it rather than insult me.

yes he appears to be. However, even after a few posts explaining that dog can easily hang themselves, Triton said that tying the dog is the best option for him. I just don't see the point in asking a question when if people take the time to answer you tell them that your way is best.

Unfortunately, it is a common occurance, dogs easily harm themselves when tied. As I said in my first post. A run would be a lot safer.

years ago we used to always leave headcollars on horses in the stables and outside and never saw a problem with it.......until a friend of ours had a hanged foal. headcollar got caught in something. if someone had told me that was a possibility i would not have believed it! seeing it or having an "actual" example given to you is a better explanation, especially for those who would not come across it on a regular basis. without an actual example i too would question as to how this could possibly happen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement