Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog tied during day - cruel?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Triton

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Triton I see nothing wrong with Liahs post.

Shes not

Shes asking a genuine question by the looks of it.

Also see the bit Ive highlighted in your post above--Thats looking to start an argument.Liah had no "attitude" in her post but yours does.And you`ve also accused Helena of having an "attitude" aswell.

So calm it down a bit.Im keeping an eye on this thread.

How is she asking a genuine question? I have already detailed twice above that the dog is not outside in a shed all day and receives plenty of attention when it is available. She's come on and made an accusation which I have already clearly outlined does not happen, yet I'm the one trying to start an argument?

dmy1001 wrote: »
    i have seen ones for sale that are from say €180+ depending on the size of dog. it may be worth your while considering as you will have it for life and you won't have to worry about ropes/straying/theft etc.
    we are in the country with a fairly enclosed place but i still have the runs as they are handy if i have to leave our gates open or anything.

Do you know where these ones for 180e+ are available? That doesn't sound too bad tbh.

Kiya wrote: »
    Hi Triton,

I think that everyone here would recommend against tying a dog up, for any length of time, but especially when unsupervised.

My dog loves to run around the side and bark at passersby so I bought a cheap fence panel = €24 and propped it up against the side of the house.
    I don’t know what your garden/fence situation is, but it was very easily solved for me.
    Literally placed unused garden furniture on one side, propped the wooden fence panel against it. So she can’t go down the side passage, nobody can see her & the panel is very easily moved.
    Obviously you'd have to secure it but as I said propping on either side seems to be doing well with our one so far.

Best of luck!

That's actually a good idea. I might try propping some wood against the fence gate so she can't be seen.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

sadhbhc15 wrote: »
    I think people are being a bit harsh here on the OP.

Actually I dont think anyone is being harsh on the OP.

They asked a question about a dog being tied up for the day and he got what I can only call knowledgeable answers from users here who have a lot of experience with dog welfare.

Its not our problem if OP chooses not to accept that advice and then starts telling people that they have "attitude" because he doesnt agree with the answers.

Sometimes the truth can hurt a bit.

Personally I dont agree with any dog being tied up all day-Its not good for their mental or physical health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭dmy1001

Triton wrote: »
    Do you know where these ones for 180e+ are available? That doesn't sound too bad tbh.

not sure if it was donedeal or ebay i saw them on but i have also seen them in petshops....but i think they are more expensive there.
    i was looking at them yesterday but can't find the ad right now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

How is she asking a genuine question? I have already detailed twice above that the dog is not outside in a shed all day and receives plenty of attention when it is available. She's come on and made an accusation which I have already clearly outlined does not happen, yet I'm the one trying to start an argument?

Hang on a minute.Liah asked a question and did not make an accusation in any form--I suggest you read her post again.She only had one post on this thread and yet you posted that she had attitude.You did the same with Helena Ryan who was only trying to offer you advice.

And just in case you dont think it was a "question" she even started the post with the word "question"
    Question...

Why on earth is the dog not let inside the house..? What's the point of having a dog at all if it's kept outside and in a shed its whole life? Dogs should be part of the family and do best when they're with their people.

I can't imagine keeping a dog like that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

I'd love not to keep the dog like that but people have to work you know.
    You shouldn't get a dog unless you can give it the love, attention and time it needs. I know people who treats dogs like toys purely for their own amusement.

I wouldn't get a dog because the dog would have no company during the day. Maybe you should look into getting a dog minder.

I don't think any dog would like to be tied up for the day so I suspect it will just be a restless, unhappy dog. Is there anyone else who could provide it with a better quality of life than you can?

Actually I dont think anyone is being harsh on the OP.

They asked a question about a dog being tied up for the day and he got what I can only call knowledgeable answers from users here who have a lot of experience with dog welfare.

Its not our problem if OP chooses not to accept that advice and then starts telling people that they have "attitude" because he doesnt agree with the answers.

Sometimes the truth can hurt a bit.

Personally I dont agree with any dog being tied up all day-Its not good for their mental or physical health.

I have no problem with taking the truth and I have taken a few replies on board and won't be tieing the dog up after today. She will have spent one day tied up but the way some of the do-gooders are lambasting me on here you'd think the dog was sitting at home soaked wet, malnourished and was never even looked at :mad:

I got knowledgebale answers did I? Answers where people kept saying things which I had explained were not possible are knowledgeable answers are they? Also, for one user to come on here and accuse me of things which I had explained were not happening is a knowledgeable answer is it? Also, I said I would take on board that the dog didn't need a wall to hang itself yet another user came on and pointed that out again, even after I said I had taken it on board.

I have thanked anyone on here who gave a decent answer and didn't give me a bit of their crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Kiya

That's actually a good idea. I might try propping some wood against the fence gate so she can't be seen.

cheers Triton, i do think its a good idea, espec if your house is rented/or you're moving and it is only a temporary solution.
    just dont prop it an angle where she could run up & escape! ;)

best bet is the fence panel, cheap, easily available & replaceable.

is there much of a gap between your house & the side gate/fence?
    if its a standard size then a panel is about right to overlap onto the house cutting of her access to the side of the house... (have i got this right?)
    or you could buy a few and screw them together. Not too unsightly.

when you do move you wouldnt leave her loose due to the risk of escaping, but a radio fence seems to do the job for my dads dogs = longterm solution.

let us know how you get on ;)

Hang on a minute.Liah asked a question and did not make an accusation in any form--I suggest you read her post again.She only had one post on this thread and yet you posted that she had attitude.You did the same with Helena Ryan who was only trying to offer you advice.

And just in case you dont think it was a "question" she even started the post with the word "question"

She asked a question which I had outlined and answered above her post twice. Her question was only a leading post for her to say "What's the point of having a dog at all if it's kept outside and in a shed its whole life?". I had already said the dog is looked after and brought inside.

I'd see it as more cruel to lock a perfectly active working dog inside all day. At least this way the dog can exercise itself a bit.

I've gotten my answer now anyway. People think it is cruel and have made me feel even worse so please lock the thread. I've no wish to have more opinions pushed down my throat.

I wonder if some of the people on here wonder about the 80% of people who leave their dogs running around in 2 ft by 2 ft kennels all day.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭ALFIET

To be honest your approach and concern for the dog are admirable and i really do understand where you are coming from esp in terms of not having the dog taken.

however the answers you will receive will come down to personal opinion on tying a dog up.

I wonder in trying to minimise the risk of one danger are you creating another?

Personally I dont agree with tying a dog up for no other reason other than my own personal views. And finances permitting I would suggest blocking off access route for dog to the side of the house where the concern of her being taken seems to exist. I would be worried sitting in work every day about the dog tied up if left on its own but again that is simply my own personal concerns.

What I would suggest is a quick call to your local vet and ask him/ her your question and raise all concerns around both. he should set you straight.

Hope this is of some help?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Triton, you said you took on board about the small dog being hanged, which is fine, but you said your dog hasnt a wall etc to hang itself, i was merely saying that it doesnt need any of those to hang itself, it can do it on the rope alone.
    You really need to read peoples posts properly before accusing people of stuff.
    You asked for advice and you got it, so whats the problem?

Most people didnt say it was cruel. more dangerous for the dog, which it is.

I have no problem with taking the truth and I have taken a few replies on board and won't be tieing the dog up after today.
    Good to hear.
    She will have spent one day tied up but the way some of the do-gooders are lambasting me on here you'd think the dog was sitting at home soaked wet, malnourished and was never even looked at :mad:

I honestly think if you had said that in the beginning we wouldnt be here now.Some of these so called do-gooders are involved with animal welfare societies and therefore in my opinion have the right(maybe rights too strong a word) to lambaste anyone they think may be carrying out cruelty to an animal.

I got knowledgebale answers did I?
    Im my opinion yes you did.
    Answers where people kept saying things which I had explained were not possible are knowledgeable answers are they?
    Well maybe your explanation wasnt good enough for them and honestly thats the way I read it aswell ie. that the dog was out all day in all sorts of weather with little or no human interaction.
    Also, for one user to come on here and accuse me of things which I had explained were not happening is a knowledgeable answer is it?
    Oh were back to Liah again??Ive already explained that under the rules of this forum Liah has done nothing wrong.
    Also, I said I would take on board that the dog didn't need a wall to hang itself yet another user came on and pointed that out again, even after I said I had taken it on board.

Sometime people are posting when the phone rings or they have to stop typing mid post etc and the thread has moved on but they were still responding to an earlier post.It looks like thats whats happened her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Sorry, I read that the dog was to be tied up outside during the day and kept in a shed at night, so I responded in kind.

Did you read my other post at all?

She asked a question which I had outlined and answered above her post twice. Her question was only a leading post for her to say "What's the point of having a dog at all if it's kept outside and in a shed its whole life?". I had already said the dog is looked after and brought inside.

I'd see it as more cruel to lock a perfectly active working dog inside all day. At least this way the dog can exercise itself a bit.

I've gotten my answer now anyway. People think it is cruel and have made me feel even worse so please lock the thread. I've no wish to have more opinions pushed down my throat.

I wonder if some of the people on here wonder about the 80% of people who leave their dogs running around in 2 ft by 2 ft kennels all day.....

Im sorry, but who locks their dogs in a 2ft x 2ft kennel everyday? most people would leave their dog in a garden or in the house, not locked in a kennel.

Forcing opinions down your throat??? you asked for opinions and you got them, because you dont like or agree you think people are forcing?? i dont get it, why come on a public forum and ask peoples opinions if you arent prepared to get all angles of opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Let it go man :), you have been given a number of options that are better than what you suggested and at the end of the day if you dont see a problem with what you plan to do then that is up to you.

As a long time lurker of this forum the one thing that is apparant is there is allot of personal bias on how animals should be treated and with that comes allot of frustration that not everyone is of that same opinion.

Saying that its a discussion forum and you are going to get moderate and extreme opinions so what do you expect?

Good to hear.

I honestly think if you had said that in the beginning we wouldnt be here now.Some of these so called do-gooders are involved with animal welfare societies and therefore in my opinion have the right(maybe rights too strong a word) to lambaste anyone they think may be carrying out cruelty to an animal.

Im my opinion yes you did.

Well maybe your explanation wasnt good enough for them and honestly thats the way I read it aswell ie. that the dog was out all day in all sorts of weather with little or no human interaction.

Oh were back to Liah again??Ive already explained that under the rules of this forum Liah has done nothing wrong.

Sometime people are posting when the phone rings or they have to stop typing mid post etc and the thread has moved on but they were still responding to an earlier post.It looks like thats whats happened her.

Could the thread be locked as I asked please.

andreac wrote: »
    Im sorry, but who locks their dogs in a 2ft x 2ft kennel everyday? most people would leave their dog in a garden or in the house, not locked in a kennel.

Forcing opinions down your throat??? you asked for opinions and you got them, because you dont like or agree you think people are forcing?? i dont get it, why come on a public forum and ask peoples opinions if you arent prepared to get all angles of opinions.

I know plenty of people who leave their dog in small kennels all week. Some leave 2 or three dogs in small runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Kiya

i think at this stage the threads getting a bit off topic..

Triton, you got some descent responses & I hope they've given you some inspiration towards a solution.
    just because people react strongly doesnt mean they dont mean well...
    i always try to bear in mind that by typing, some things wont come across in the way you might have meant it... people can be too literal.
    As I've been typing this 3/4 other replies could have been posted, so the threads kind of lose themselves.
    Just remember that as its a public forum everyones entitled to their own opinions but it doesnt mean you have to take them on board or even reply.

Take care.

Kiya wrote: »
    i think at this stage the threads getting a bit off topic..

Triton, you got some descent responses & I hope they've given you some inspiration towards a solution.
    just because people react strongly doesnt mean they dont mean well...
    i always try to bear in mind that by typing, some things wont come across in the way you might have meant it... people can be too literal.
    As I've been typing this 3/4 other replies could have been posted, so the threads kind of lose themselves.
    Just remember that as its a public forum everyones entitled to their own opinions but it doesnt mean you have to take them on board or even reply.

Take care.

Thanks. That is why I asked for the thread to be locked.

• Advertisement

I know plenty of people who leave their dog in small kennels all week. Some leave 2 or three dogs in small runs.

Theres a big difference between a kennel and run. A dog shouldnt be locked in a kennel, the door should always be open. I never close the door on a kennel, its only for shelter anyway.

Thread locked at OPs request.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement