Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animal welfare and the Lisbon Treaty

Options
  • 16-09-2009 10:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Sorry for yet another post on the Lisbon Treaty....

I'm just wondering if anyone knows if the Lisbon Treaty will have any effect on animal rights/welfare? I've heard conflicting reports.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Nunubird wrote: »
    Sorry for yet another post on the Lisbon Treaty....

I'm just wondering if anyone knows if the Lisbon Treaty will have any effect on animal rights/welfare? I've heard conflicting reports.

Ask over in the European Union forum, there are some real experts over there.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Nunubird wrote: »
    I've heard conflicting reports.

Care to share what youve heard.

Personally I hope that if its passed they introduce a Dangerous Wild Animal licensing system.
    And also a licensing system that works for dog breeders.Get these puppy farmers out of the business altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Nunubird

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Care to share what youve heard.

From: http://www.forumoneurope.ie/index.asp?locID=113&docID=1633
    'Under the Lisbon Treaty, a new Article 13 will be created which will take the wording of the old protocol on animal welfare and include it as a full treaty article. For the very first time, animal welfare concerns will be explicitly set out within the European Treaties. What’s more, the new article on animal welfare explicitly recognises animals as sentient beings. Considering how much of the animal welfare laws in each of the 27 Member States originated in EU proposals, the inclusion of a full Treaty article on animal welfare if Lisbon is passed will be a major step forward in the protection of animals across Europe.'

I also read something (can't find where) about animal experiments. The above one leads me to believe that voting yes is better for animal welfare/rights.

I will try the European Union forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Animal welfare and rights are not the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Nunubird

Animal welfare and rights are not the same thing.

I know. Many people do confuse the terms. I used the '/' as an abbreviation for 'and/or'. Sorry for any confusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

If someone does find out that it will benefit or hinder animal welfare, would it be possible to post something indicating this in the 'Animal & Pet issues' forum as I'm sure many of the pet lovers who use the forum would be very interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Any update on this?? Would love to know! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Advertisement