Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Debreceni VFC Match Thread

• 16-09-2009 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Who let these non-entities into the Rich Mans League? ;)

Liverpool v Debrecen hardly sets the pulses racing but on the other hand its the biggest game the Hungarian side will have played since getting thumped by Man Utd in 2005 so will be up for it. Its just a question of if being up for it means 90 mins of 10 man defending or trying to get a goal or two by playing football.

I'm sure Rafa will resist the temptation to play a weaker starting 11. Just a question of Masch and the formation. I'd stick with the Burnley side myself.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

no point risking not getting maximum points.

play our best available team, then rest people after 60mins if it's all going to plan. by the same token, i wouldn't rush masch back for this.

Pep
    Glen---Jamie----Martin---Emiliano
    Lucas----Stevie
    Dirk
    Albert
    Yossi

Nando

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

0-0

Rafa Out!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Because of the title of this thread, and first sentence in this thread, I actually hope Liverpool get absolutely hockeyed tonight.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Thread title changed,I hope the team given them more respect than Mike as they are in the CL on there own merits and its games like this that you need to give the opposition the up most respect or else they can bite you in the arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah boo! Des humour failure as per....I was merely reflecting a view/attitude held by many esp in footballs posh seats that the likes of Debrecen have little or no place in the CL money printing tournament. Satire FTW.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Whatever else, I hope they don't play the team they used against Barnsley Mike, it's been years since we played them, and most of them would not be at the club anymore.

The team that played Burnley, on the other hand ;)

5starpool wrote: »
    Whatever else, I hope they don't play the team they used against Barnsley Mike, it's been years since we played them, and most of them would not be at the club anymore.

The team that played Burnley, on the other hand ;)

I've been owned! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Even though Debrecen are to be respected, i'd still make changes. We've a tough games away to WHU at the weekend.

I'd go with

Reina

Johnson
    Carra
    Skrtel
    Aurelio

Lucas
    Gerrard

Kuyt
    Voronin
    Babel

Torres

get Torres and Gerrard off ASAP if we're winning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

My guess is the score will be 5-0, just put money on it. odds 10-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I'd love to see one of Roronin or Babel get a start.

Voronin is especially suited to the slower European pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I'd love to see one of Roronin or Babel get a start.

Ah yes, Roronin Hood, takes from the, eh whatever, fail.

I'd stick with the Burnley starting 11 as per other posters here.

For Karma & Whatawaster - I'd much rather have Benny start than Voronin.

I'd be willing however to give Babel a start out on the left too, just to see if he can do anything against weaker opposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Roronin Hood

Post of the day.

Liverpool should cruise this although according to Rafa, Debrecen have won their last 180 games!* :D

*From SSN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Voronin is especially suited to the slower European pace.

I don't think he's suited to any pace. ;)

How much did Liverpool pay for him again? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I don't think he's suited to any pace. ;)

How much did Liverpool pay for him again? :D

Free transfer, now move along.

He has looked ok in the games he has played this season. I have no problems with him coming off the bench to try and change a game because he can actually spot a pass unlike Babel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

we should and will get a win no doubt if rafa puts out a strong 11...we ****ed up in the groups recently with 3 points in 1st 3 games i think was it?...lets not give ourselves more work to do and get a win tonight and a few goals for the goal difference:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Ah yes, Roronin Hood, takes from the, eh whatever, fail.

I'd stick with the Burnley starting 11 as per other posters here.

For Karma & Whatawaster - I'd much rather have Benny start than Voronin.

I'd be willing however to give Babel a start out on the left too, just to see if he can do anything against weaker opposition.

I'd have Benni start behind Torres, but maybe with Voronin on the right and Kuyt rested.
    Andriy can play on either wing, and I'd like to see him and Benni switch play with each other.

The combined really well during V's cameo on Sat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭The Rooster

If anyone's going to be rested it'll be Torres. If he's not 100% I think he may sit it out. On the other hand if he is fully fit and raring to go, then he'll presumably start.

Aurelio should feature at some stage, and I wouldnt mind seeing Babel get a run, to see if there's been any reaction to the Benitez comments of basically "pull up yer socks".

Hungarian football seems to be on the up - probably for the first time since the fall of communism in Europe. I expect a tough match and would take any kind of victory.

I'd hate to see Voronin out wide. He was awful there when he's played there for us in the past, and I don't see him improving any. He has to be central, either up front, or just behind the front man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

If anyone's going to be rested it'll be Torres. If he's not 100% I think he may sit it out. On the other hand if he is fully fit and raring to go, then he'll presumably start.

Haven't seen Torres looking remotely fit yet this season. I'd rather he got a break tonight TBH - or come on in the second half or something.

Would like to see Aurelio feature myself, I think we've missed him more than people think. Great left foot.

Maybe Voro or Ngog up top? Or a 4-4-2? I'll be slated for that "don't change the system" yada yada rubbish.

Here's what I'd like to see as an alternative starting 11

......................Reina.....................
    Johnson.....Skrtl.....Carra......Aurelio
    .............Masch (maybe Lucas)............................
    Kuyt...................Gerrard........Babel(to start, swap if he's doing his usual)
    .................Benny.........................
    .........................Voronin/Ngog.......

Sure, it may be against the general consensus, and a little risky. But could be good, against a side that in fairness, we should NOT be put under pressure by, and would give a couple of guys a start they really need to help with confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

my team would be the following:
    reina
    johnson, carra, skertel, insua
    benny, lucas, stevie, babel
    voronin
    kuyt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭ANTIFA!

Debrecen. BELIEVE

Debrecen are champions of Hungary a League below the LOI in Uefa co-efficent. I'm assured all Irish people who cheer for Liverpool from their barstools the length and breath of the country tonight will be doing so for the health of Irish football.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

ANTIFA! wrote: »
    Debrecen. BELIEVE

Debrecen are champions of Hungary a League below the LOI in Uefa co-efficent. I'm assured all Irish people who cheer for Liverpool from their barstools the length and breath of the country tonight will do so for the health of Irish football.

Nobody cares!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

ANTIFA! wrote: »
    Debrecen. BELIEVE

Debrecen are champions of Hungary a League below the LOI in Uefa co-efficent. I'm assured all Irish people who cheer for Liverpool from their barstools the length and breath of the country tonight will be doing so for the health of Irish football.

LOL, let it go man :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I'd be saying play the strongest team possible to get points on the board early doors. If we go 2 or 3 nil up, the bigger names can be subbed off after the 60 min mark.

Also I'd be hoping (given the nature of the group) that we will end up with a dead rubber match towards the end of the group stages and we are able to play a team composed of the fringe players/promising youngsters from the start in our final group game similar to last year.

I'm sure with all the Hungarian lads we have (Nemeth, Gulacsi, Poloskei, Mihaylov, Simon) at least one of them will be well able to provide Rafa with some info on what the team is like.

I'd forgotton Liverpool has such a large fifth column.

I'd be saying play the strongest team possible to get points on the board early doors. If we go 2 or 3 nil up, the bigger names can be subbed off after the 60 min mark.

agree with this.

Anyone saying Babel should start is talking shíte in my book.

The lad's mind clearly from recent comments and performances isn't focused enough.

I'd only bring him on if we were a couple of goals up at halftime or thereabouts.

Same team as Burnley for me, keep Mash for the game on Sat away to Hammers as we don't have much rest time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I hope Babel gets a game and I would like to see him up front at some point.

Exellent, team unchanged.

Reina, Insua, Johnson, Carragher, Skrtel, Lucas, Gerrard, Benayoun, Riera, Kuyt, Torres.

Subs: Kyrgiakos, Aurelio, Voronin, Babel, Cavalieri, Spearing, Mascherano.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

mike65 wrote: »
    Exellent, team unchanged.

Reina, Insua, Johnson, Carragher, Skrtel, Lucas, Gerrard, Benayoun, Riera, Kuyt, Torres.

Subs: Kyrgiakos, Aurelio, Voronin, Babel, Cavalieri, Spearing, Mascherano.

Rafa out :p.

Can't see 'owt but a comfortable Liverpool win. Yossi 6/4 to be anytime goalscorer looks a nice bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

What is the point of Ronnie Whelan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

christ the lads are only on 5 minutes and i already feel like pulling my hair out!

It's like listening to my da and his mates talk about football after a few jars fown the local, clueless.

Its as you were for the Billo and the boys. If Liverpool thrash Debrecen its to be expected if they don't then Rafa is the worlds worst manager, Wheelan is plank whittering on about Gerrard being too withdrawn in the centre. Did he not see the Barnsley game? Would he applaud a more "cautious" Lucas/Masch MF?

Its as you were for the Billo and the boys. If Liverpool thrash Debrecen its to be expected if they don't then Rafa is the worlds worst manager, Wheelan is plank whittering on about Gerrard being too withdrawn in the centre. Did he not see the Burnley game? Would he applaud a more "cautious" Lucas/Masch MF?

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Its as you were for the Billo and the boys. If Liverpool thrash Debrecen its to be expected if they don't then Rafa is the worlds worst manager, Wheelan is plank whittering on about Gerrard being too withdrawn in the centre. Did he not see the Barnsley game? Would he applaud a more "cautious" Lucas/Masch MF?

Barnesley mike? , your a cert for a position on the panel if you applied :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Lets keep this a Whelan-free zone, tis bad enough listening to the fecker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

They seem completely oblivious to the fact yossi got a hat trick just a few days ago playing behind a front man, is a quality attacking player on form, and will be playing off torres tonight in what is a very attacking team

;)

Fukk I did it again! (that game in 2005 has clearly scared me for life)

To be fair to the lads though, they're consistent with their criticism, they rarely focus on the positives of any side, it's laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

Probably get pelters for this but while aquilani is out injured i would stick with gerrard and lucas against non top 4 sides,i feel we would get the ball moving to the forward line quicker and our pace of play would be higher.I feel you dont need a holding midfielder against these sides although in the bigger games Mascherano is a must, but the downside to Mascherano is he takes too much out of the ball and attacking opportunities are lost.

I agree with that, but Rafa is the manager.

edit its Rafas 300th game in charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

*mute television* - I cant wait for the day when we get a new panel on RTE.

Whelan is hilarious though. Giving out about Gerrard playing deep. Then he says 'look at this - this is what Gerrards good at' and it shows a clip of Gerrard making a run from his own box all the way up the pitch...it was exactly the same position he started in both clips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

this gerrard footage has some odd selections, doesnt prove their point at all. does ronnie whelan (or any of them) actually watch us play? it doesnt seem so...

Tusky wrote: »

Whelan is hilarious though. Giving out about Gerrard playing deep. Then he says 'look at this - this is what Gerrards good at' and it shows a clip of Gerrard making a run from his own box all the way up the pitch...it was exactly the same position he started in both clips.

steal my point with an edit eh? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Tusky wrote: »

:eek:

did you see tv3 last night

your a liverpool fan right,I think you have your own opinion on liverpool and the rte panel wont change your mind

what the rte panel come out with, always make me laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Vampireskiss

COME ON DEBRECENI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I wonder what Ronnie will have to say about the Hollywood ball Gerrard gave from deep in midfield a few minutes ago. Ignore it is my guess. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

thankfully yossi is on fire and I think he is the key to liverpool getting a score sooner rather than later. Torres looks like he wants to be somewhere else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Quiet so far, the team looks nice and settled though, good to see it's the same XI as Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I love Johnson

stupid booking

• Advertisement
Advertisement